Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2007, 06:35 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,614,641 times

Advertisements

I just drove out past 55, going west, this weekend to explore the area and was surprised at how much development is going on out there. There are new subdivisions going up right and left.

I'm currently shopping for a house, and I've seen houses listed for sale (in Realtor.com) in Cary Park, Cameron Pond, and Highcroft, but they all have postage-stamp sized lots (< 1/4 acre). What I'm looking for is a modest sized house (2500-3000 sq ft) with a nice sized lot (1/3 - 1/2 acre, preferably with mature trees) in the upper $300K to lower $400K range. Does anyone know if any of these new (or still in the planning stages) subdivisions can meet those requirements?

I see that Toll Brothers is planning 2 subdivisions out there too, but info on their website is sketchy, though they look to be above my budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2007, 06:25 AM

653 posts, read 2,988,629 times
Do you have your heart set on new construction? That may be a little tougher to get the lot, trees, and square footage in your price range, but there is some resale that is less than 3 or 4 years old that meet all of your requirements. For example, there's one right now in Walden Creek, built in 2004, over 2800 sq ft, .38 acres... list price 379,900. Especially with so much new construction still happening, you may be able to find a deal on a resale that's just a couple years old.

Old 01-05-2007, 09:29 AM

Thank you for responding to my post NCHomeFinder.

Yes, I saw that new listing on Walden Creek pop up on Realtor.com today. This listing meets my criteria mentioned above. . . BUT. . . the back yard looks out onto 55. That's a deal breaker, I'm afraid.

I'm not opposed to older construction. However, I do like the architecture of the newer construction better (i.e., within the last 10 years) which often includes open floor plans, no formal living room, and the master downstairs. I'm exploring all possibilities though.

I review the new listings in Realtor.com several times a week, but haven't seen anything that I like, so I'm now researching new home communites that haven't even built any spec homes yet, and consequently would not be shown in Realtor.com.

Old 01-05-2007, 01:18 PM

24 posts, read 73,654 times
I was looking for what you're looking for a few months ago. I'm not sure you'll find everything you want in a new house as some of the previous posters have already said. It's hard to find a new house with reasonable sized lots these days, especially one with mature trees - most new places seem to cut down everything when they build and it takes a while to regrow. So, I'll recommend where I live - Abbington. I don't think I saw a house in the neighborhood under 1/4 acre, some are up around 1 acre. Lots of trees and lanscaping throughout the neighboorhood. And, there are listings on realtor.com right now that seem to meet you criteria. Check it out - we love it! Oh, the houses in the neighborhood range from ~8 years old to brand new. They are building a new section, but I think (not sure, you should look it up) they might be more money - not sure about the acreage. Good luck in your search!

Old 01-05-2007, 02:27 PM

Thanks for the tips bookworm.

I drove through Abbington this weekend, quite by accident, and did find it to be a very nice neighborhood. The houses for sale at this time weren't quite the style that we were looking for (not big fans of the traditional architecture), but we'll keep our eyes open for new listings that pop up. Hopefully we'll get lucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary