Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2021, 08:18 PM

172 posts, read 145,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZNC View Post
SPEDTEACH17...I will be there the last week of May. How is the commute living in Clayton and teaching in Wake? Is Clayton really far from everyhting? I have looked at many many homes in Clayton, I'm just afraid it will be too removed and far for me. I like to be close to stores and shopping.

I was looking into the Wake Forest charter school for my younger boys, but cant enroll until i have an NC address. I think with the move and all the changes I'd like to get them into a smaller school. (Nothing against public schools, just want a smaller school.)

I've looked into the Wake Tech community for my older boy. Looks like that might be a good match and they have a lot of student apts off campus so a good way to meet people. But the student apts are closer to NCState then to Wake Community so I guess hed have to take a city bus to school????

How did your children acclimate to the move, Its hard moving with teenagers.
I work at a Wake school in Knightdale and my commute is 17 minutes door to door. It's all back country roads and such a pretty drive. My school is year round and the contract started 7/1/20. I was hired mid June and started teaching in August.

We live near downtown Clayton. Target is 20 minutes one direction and the giant outlet mall 20 min the other way and the mall in N. Raleigh is 30 minutes..We came from having tons of big box stores 5-10 away all around us but I've gotten used to it. We have lots of local shops so it depends what type of shopping you like. Grocery stores, gas stations, and fast food/restaurants all close by. We are still discovering places.

I'd check roads at commute times to see traffic patterns.

It's been hard on our teens. My daughter has an apt in Charleston but doesn't know anyone when she comes home yet. My son was struggling with depression before we got here and is doing much better now. I think he'll be even better when things open up more and he can meet more people.

We didn't know anyone when we moved here so im happy to answer any questions. People seem really friendly here and we love it. 2 hours to the beach is a bonus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2021, 09:00 AM

376 posts, read 654,084 times
Lots of teachers where my wife works in Garner (southern Wake County) live in Clayton. Obviously Clayton is cheaper and you cross county lines to Wake you get paid more.

Old 02-05-2021, 10:19 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,223,112 times
some googling tells me ....

NC teacher average pay is 7% higher than AZ. https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...r-pay-by-state. and has risen to 38th?

or lower than AZ ....https://www.ziprecruiter.com/Salarie...alary-by-State

given the huge disparity ($50K v 25K) between websites, I. can only assume ziprecruiter's is off and is just stat pay for new teachers.

here's a supplement by county map:

https://public.tableau.com/profile/b...gSalarysupplmt

Old 02-05-2021, 10:32 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,223,112 times
Wake Tech has limited sports - baseball, basketball, soccer.

Wake Tech has multiple campuses, ranging from NE Raleigh (large and newer) closest to Wake Forest/Knightdale to SE Raleigh closer to Fuquay (and Fuquay is probably almost an hour from Wake Forest) which is the original.

https://www.waketech.edu/about-wake-...mpuses-centers

just know Eastern Wake 4.0 was just announced and will take ~5 years to actually build.

Old 02-05-2021, 09:04 PM

23 posts, read 16,957 times
20 minutes, that seems long to me to go to the stores. I've actually been looking at homes in Knightdale as well as Clayton. Knightdale seems a bit more close to more things. How is the area there in Knightdale?

WOw, how lucky would I be to live and get a job at a school in Knightdale. The 17 minute commute to work is not bad at all. I do a lot of "running to the store." lol And would like it to be a little closer. But the homes in CLayton seem like more house for your dollar.

I think the final toss up will be Knightdale or Wake Forest....but if these home prices keep going up I may end up in CLayton (which I'm not saying as a bad thing at all.) Im just so happy to be getting out of Phoenix. I've read a lot about Flowers Plantation in CLayton....any thoughts, info.

I'll actually be there this week, to start looking around and checking out some areas. (If you know anyone leaving your school next year, PLEASE let me know hehe) I'm el;ementary, you didnt mention what level youre in.

LOVE getting these responses!!!

Old 02-06-2021, 07:25 AM

22,671 posts, read 36,810,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZNC View Post
20 minutes, that seems long to me to go to the stores. I've actually been looking at homes in Knightdale as well as Clayton. Knightdale seems a bit more close to more things. How is the area there in Knightdale?

WOw, how lucky would I be to live and get a job at a school in Knightdale. The 17 minute commute to work is not bad at all. I do a lot of "running to the store." lol And would like it to be a little closer. But the homes in CLayton seem like more house for your dollar.

I think the final toss up will be Knightdale or Wake Forest....but if these home prices keep going up I may end up in CLayton (which I'm not saying as a bad thing at all.) Im just so happy to be getting out of Phoenix. I've read a lot about Flowers Plantation in CLayton....any thoughts, info.

I'll actually be there this week, to start looking around and checking out some areas. (If you know anyone leaving your school next year, PLEASE let me know hehe) I'm el;ementary, you didnt mention what level youre in.

LOVE getting these responses!!!

That poster said things like malls are a drive. Grocery stores etc are all close by. Go back and re-read their post carefully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary