Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2020, 07:49 AM

7 posts, read 3,502 times

Advertisements

We are moving to NC - Raleigh Area. Been trying to nail down which city is affordable for us that is not too far from Raleigh. We are seniors but healthy and like the outdoors especially swimming. Moving from Pompano Beach FL but originally from NY - that makes us "half-backs".
We work from home so commuting is not an issue. We will rent first & buy something small and manageable. A senior community would be ideal but they seem way too expensive from what we've been able to research and it's hard to get much info on any more affordable types. We don't need all the amenities - like golf courses and an onsite chef!

We understand that all these areas are being over developed right now so we will have to deal with that. We don't like the layout of the new houses we've seen so we will probably be looking at an older property.
We are working with a realtor in Fuquay and she sends us listings of house within our range - $199 - $225 but that doesn't give us "inside" info about the city nor any info about senior communities.

I guess our priority is affordability and nearness to Raleigh.

From reading the posts here, it seems Garner, Clayton & Fuquay may be within our budget.
What about Knightdale and Zebulon?

We're hoping with your feedback it will give us some direction because right now we're all over the place!

Thanks for any feedback.

(We're new to this site so I hope I'm doing this correctly)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2020, 08:38 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,237,376 times
in a newer planned community, you're going to get higher HOA because the majority of residents choose to live in places that offer those amenities. And yes, I don't know of any of these communities that fit in your budget.

When you say "outdoors...swimming", do you want a neighborhood with a pool? Or would the local YMCA suffice?

Is what you're looking for a small ranch (1,000 - 1,700 sqft), small lot, how many car garage?

Old 09-01-2020, 08:49 AM

19,447 posts, read 27,876,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
in a newer planned community, you're going to get higher HOA because the majority of residents choose to live in places that offer those amenities. And yes, I don't know of any of these communities that fit in your budget.

When you say "outdoors...swimming", do you want a neighborhood with a pool? Or would the local YMCA suffice?

Is what you're looking for a small ranch (1,000 - 1,700 sqft), small lot, how many car garage?
And define "not too far from Raleigh" please? (I'm betting Zebulon is not going to be close enough.)

Old 09-01-2020, 09:26 AM

5,347 posts, read 3,224,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owttahere View Post
We are working with a realtor in Fuquay and she sends us listings of house within our range - $199 - $225 but that doesn't give us "inside" info about the city nor any info about senior communities.

I guess our priority is affordability and nearness to Raleigh.

From reading the posts here, it seems Garner, Clayton & Fuquay may be within our budget.
What about Knightdale and Zebulon?

We're hoping with your feedback it will give us some direction because right now we're all over the place!
What type of information are you looking for that will help you?

If affordability and proximity to Raleigh are your only concerns then all those towns listed all fit the bill.

I think my questions would be - What do you consider "near" Raleigh? What will you be going to Raleigh for? (Not trying to pry but wondering if it's working hours, occasional dinner, etc.) If you don't end up buying in a senior community, what amenities are you looking for?

My only concern as an "average joe" is that you are in a super hot price point so you may want to extend your search a little further out (which guided my question about how near Raleigh you want to be and why).

Old 09-02-2020, 06:04 AM

Thanks - Great questions. Outdoors & swimming - would be parks, Greenway trails for walking (no more biking for us) and YMCA is ideal as I swim laps. Near to Raleigh - would be 20 to 30 minutes if possible and for occasional "city fix" for shopping, dining and general stimulation. Amenities: we don't need amenities if there is a YMCA or community pool in the area, we do not golf, we both drive, we both work from home which is why driving into Raleigh when we want to get out of the house or going to a park is necessary. I suppose even further away than 30 minutes from Raleigh would work - we could make it a "road trip". I spent most of my life in the Bronx, NY where I grew up and I was very active. That all changed when I moved to Florida. Can't take the heat outdoors. I look forward to trees, change of seasons, parks, snow and getting active again.
The house we just sold is 1600 sf with one car garage and ranch style and 3 br, 2 bath and a lot of lawn. We would like something similar space-wise but without the lawn and we could live without the garage.

Old 09-02-2020, 06:36 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,077,625 times
For year-round swimming, check out Rex Wellness of Garner. Garner also has a Senior Center and several parks. It is the closest 'burb to Raleigh which has homes in your price range.

Old 09-02-2020, 06:56 AM

19,447 posts, read 27,876,065 times
I'm gonna step in here with a comment about our weather. I'm sure other would disagree with me, but here's our 2 cents.

We lived in Phoenix for 25+ years. We've spent quite a bit of time in Florida during the spring and summer. Heat is not uncomfortable or an unknown accommodation for us.

We moved to Raleigh in 2012. The summer heat and humidity here has been an unexpected misery. It's as bad as florida, except it's a shorter season. We actually find it worse than florida where we could escape to the ocean breezes.

In other words, if you're looking at this area primarily to escape the florida humidity, you might be very disappointed.

Old 09-02-2020, 07:08 AM

5,347 posts, read 3,224,297 times
Full disclosure, I'm a halfback as well. I lived in the WPB area so I know what you mean regarding the weather and community in general there. One comment regarding the heat is that it is just as bad here but it doesn't last as long. We've had some summers where it was "Florida-like" for two weeks and other summers where I thought it would never end.

Have you visited Raleigh before? I ask because of your comment regarding shopping and dining - Raleigh really isn't all that special. You can find good shopping and dining in any of the surrounding communities. Don't get me wrong, we go to Raleigh once every few months, find a decent restaurant or shop and say "we should come here more often" - then we never do because there really isn't anything (to us) that draws us back.

As a halfback, when I moved here I thought Raleigh, the state's capital, would be like Boston (where I'm from) - hopping, cultural, historical, a place you would want to go explore. And it's just not. It's not a bad place, don't get me wrong, but it's nothing to draw a circle around and say "I need to live within x miles of here". I'm really not trying to badmouth Raleigh, just my last sentence says it all, don't make it the focal point.

One positive of the areas around here are that Raleigh and the surrounding towns have a focus on greenways. If that is important to you, you can search for greenways in the towns you're looking in and most have maps. Some greenways cut through or abut housing developments making it easy to jump on and off.

Old 09-02-2020, 08:26 AM

22,679 posts, read 36,836,112 times
I kind of agree with BoSox here - and it's not bad mouthing at all. If you've every been to Albany, Raleigh is more similar to that than say, a Boston. You will find most of what you need in the area that you live, and you might find you want to go to other cities (like Durham, for DPAC [a performing arts center]) as well. Also, the trip in Raleigh is pretty easy, as is parking in general (true of other places too). We went to Raleigh for a couple of thing the first year we lived here...PNC for Disney on ice, to see the Nutcracker ...each time AMAZED how hassle free it was. Same with going to DPAC.

I would google the local YMCAs and look in those areas, to start.

Old 09-02-2020, 09:31 AM

In answer to comments: We did visit Raleigh & Chape Hill on 2 occasions with our dogs about 10 years ago – we were never able to get back there again – but we loved it.
We do realize the summers will be hot. When it’s hot, it’s hot, no matter where you live. We just want more than one season. I should mention we are coming from “south Floirda”
Good advice about not making Raleigh a focal point. That helps. We are very interested in the Greenways. I did google the Y’s – I can’t believe there are so many! The Rex Wellness center looks great!
It’s so time consuming researching all these areas. Today I was looking at Clayton & Garner – I think those may be good options.
Here’s a question – I notice the properties do not have fences. Are there codes that prohibit fencing your property? A problem if you have a dog.
All your comments are so helpful – thanks for taking the time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary