Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2020, 08:41 AM

6,407 posts, read 5,536,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I am thinking maybe Durham? Downtown Durham has grown terrifically recently with Arts offerings, the Durham Performing Arts Center which gets all the Broadway shows like Hamilton, Wicked etc. and The Carolina Theatre which has both movies and live shows. There are walking trails galore, not to mention the Duke University campus as well as Duke Gardens. The Ninth Street area is quirky and full of neat local businesses, as is the Brightleaf Square area (though we are losing my favorite store, the very unique Morgan Imports, due to COVID ).

I know many Seniors who live in the Croasdaile community north of Durham, which is quite large. There are apartments and small houses that are all part of the community, but they do have a "Community center" with pool gyms, etc and many recreational programs. I don't know the cost.

I also know a lot of folks who belong to the Jewish Community Center (you don't have to be Jewish--most of the ones I know are not) for its pool and facilities. But there is also a YMCA in downtown Durham not to mention other gyms everywhere.

Durham county is generally considered cheaper than Wake or certainly Orange, from the reputation that the public schools aren't quite as good. That of course is moot to you.

I've also visited The Forest at Duke a lot. Another of those "Senior communities" that has various living arrangements.
All valid; but $225k isn't going to cut it to get into the type of community they are looking for in Durham.

Clayton or Fuquay is probably the best bet given the pricerange OP has given. Clayton having closer proximity to a YMCA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2020, 12:37 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,230,793 times
I'd look in Garner. It's going to give you the most bang for your buck in an older home while being right under downtown Raleigh's nose. There's a YMCA there, and more older, modestly sized homes on larger wooded lots to choose from than you'll find in other closer suburban locations.

Old 09-05-2020, 07:56 AM

7 posts, read 3,575 times
Thumbs up Thanks

I just realized there was another page - Duh - I thought the comments had stopped on "page 1! Like I said, this site is new to me.

So much eye-opening info!! You're correct about - no kids - and internet is super important to me as I will be keeping my clients in Florida because everything I do is online / in the cloud (QuickBooks Online), Zoom meetings or remote access.

You've all given us new things to consider. We don't mind the traffic, we do not like the HOA idea, we should forget about nearness to Raleigh -not that important.

We do have a question about septic & well water. Is that something that is common everywhere? Or just in rural areas?

Old 09-05-2020, 12:12 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,230,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owttahere View Post
I just realized there was another page - Duh - I thought the comments had stopped on "page 1! Like I said, this site is new to me.

So much eye-opening info!! You're correct about - no kids - and internet is super important to me as I will be keeping my clients in Florida because everything I do is online / in the cloud (QuickBooks Online), Zoom meetings or remote access.

You've all given us new things to consider. We don't mind the traffic, we do not like the HOA idea, we should forget about nearness to Raleigh -not that important.

We do have a question about septic & well water. Is that something that is common everywhere? Or just in rural areas?
I don't think that you have to give up on closeness to Raleigh since you want an older home anyway. This is why I recommended Garner. You can be close to the city and have what you want at the same time. The Raleigh area is growing like a weed, and Garner has still been largely overlooked by those who have been pushing prices upward, mostly because it's more of a legacy suburb with much of its housing being older, smaller, and on larger pieces of property. However, I suspect that the time is limited to get into Garner in your price range. IMO, it's just matter of time before the prices start escalating there due to its location. Already homes in your price range go quickly.

If you are hesitant and want to rent first, I suspect that Garner will soon become out of reach, and you'll be pushed east of Raleigh toward Wendell, Zebulon and Rolesville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary