Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 08:20 AM

353 posts, read 1,367,366 times

Advertisements

In terms of market value of real estate, if you live in Southpoint, can your house really hold it's value or increase it's value the way a house in the Chapel Hill School district can?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 08:32 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,964,602 times
No. They can keep right on bulldozing and slapping up cookie cutter neighborhoods in south durham, while that won't happen in Chapel Hill.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:34 AM

1,364 posts, read 6,024,374 times
Probably not, but you're talking about areas with, for the most part, markedly different costs of entry into the market for a comparable house.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:52 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,506,901 times
No. Chapel Hill is about the schools, but also the sense of community, the downtown area and many other things. There's a reason it is more expensive, and it will keep appreciating faster.

That said, you can a lot more for your money in Durham so it's a tradeoff.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:52 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,062,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneezecake View Post
Probably not, but you're talking about areas with, for the most part, markedly different costs of entry into the market for a comparable house.
Ditto.

Chapel Hill is one of the most desireable areas in the entire Triangle. I imagine it's hard for any area to compete with it when it comes to appreciation. But because it's so desirable, it's also very pricey. I know plenty of people who chose to buy a home in Durham instead of Chapel Hill because the CH prices can be so prohibitive. People can get a lot more for their money in Durham, which makes it more attractive for some.

I imagine this can vary by price point. If I had a million dollars to spend on a house, I would probably consider buying a home in Chapel Hill. But if I only had $200K to spend, I would certainly consider Durham; at that price point, the difference between what you can get in CH and Durham really starts to show.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:25 AM

718 posts, read 2,974,258 times
The schools in Chapel Hill are MUCH better and people will always pay more for great schools. Some parts of Durham are not so great, no really bad areas in CH.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:40 AM

1,364 posts, read 6,024,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slynn41072 View Post
no really bad areas in CH.
I've heard differently, but it's only second-hand information so I'll wait for someone else to either concur or refute

Old 04-23-2008, 11:11 AM

There is one part of Chapel Hill which is pretty bad. NOt as bad as the worst of Durham but yes ,it's bad. There have been a number of shootings there of late in fact. Not random in nature, but I don't think I'd be particularly interested in walking through there at night.

That's the only spot I can think of, btu I wouldn't walk there at night personally.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:57 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,964,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slynn41072 View Post
The schools in Chapel Hill are MUCH better and people will always pay more for great schools. Some parts of Durham are not so great, no really bad areas in CH.
I would say the schools in Chapel Hill are probably marginally better than Durham, based on the fact that they have considerably more resources.

The demographics of the students (and their parents) is the driving force behind the perception that Chapel Hill Schools are far superior to those in surrounding areas.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post
I would say the schools in Chapel Hill are probably marginally better than Durham, based on the fact that they have considerably more resources.

The demographics of the students (and their parents) is the driving force behind the perception that Chapel Hill Schools are far superior to those in surrounding areas.
I would agree and disagree. I agree that they have more resources and that the demographics and parents are a driving force in Chapel Hill. Based on these two things (and others), I would disagree that they are "marginally better than Durham" as a whole. I'd say they are much better (as a whole). Certainly there are some excellent schools scattered around Durham too-I am speaking about one system vs. another on the whole
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary