Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2007, 07:34 AM

85 posts, read 297,195 times

Advertisements

here's the deal i am a black gay female early 30's and i will be leaving michigan in jan 08 i'm leaving my job as a health inspector to move to nc job or not i have saved so i hope to find a job when i get there anyway my ? is this
1. of raliegh -durham-or ch which has better schools
2. low crime
3. diversity
4. child friendly
5. jobs
6. affordable housing no more than 700-750 for a 2 bedroom
7. nice parks
8.are apex and cary suburbs of the triangle?
9. if i live in durham can my kid go to a school in raliegh or wake county?

i dont know the difference in the 3 cities or (apex, or cary)so if somene can tell me what the difference is and whats them apart from each other

any and all help will be greatly appreciated thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2007, 11:17 AM

39 posts, read 92,354 times
Wake County schools are very crowded at the moment. My mom works there and they are trying to figure out what to do with the kids that live in the district. You can better find the price range of housing you want in Durham and Raleigh. Chapel Hill is nice but has lots of competition from university students. All the areas are pretty diverse, but more so in Durham.

Old 07-28-2007, 11:35 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,526,327 times
Overall Durham is last in schools but good ones can be found if you do research.

Old 07-28-2007, 12:50 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,062,647 times
Hi, Terrie! I hope I can help you a bit on this. Here's my opinion based on personal experiences & what I've heard from others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie07 View Post
1. of raliegh -durham-or ch which has better schools
This is a REALLY really hard question to answer because it depends a lot upon what you want for your individual child. So here's the break-down.

In most cases in North Carolina, the school system is run by the county. So Wake County covers the schools in Raleigh, Cary, and other communities within that county and Durham County handles the schools in Durham, etc. However, there's an exception to that rule and in this case, the exception is Chapel Hill. Although Chapel Hill is located in Orange County, it has a seperate schools system that covers Chapel Hill and the neighboring town of Carrboro. All of these systems have their own pros and cons. You just have to decide which matters the most to you.

Wake County schools have been catching a lot of flack lately. The population within Wake County has grown very rapidly and, unfortunately, schools have not been able to be built fast enough to accomodate all of the new students. In an effort to serve the larger population, Wake County just this year changed most of the elementary schools to a year-round program. Middle schools and high schools have stayed on a traditional calendar. Some people don't like this, and some do; it's a matter of personal preference & circumstances. There are a few traditional-schedule elementary schools out there & you can request that your child be placed in one if you choose, but I don't know how hard it is to land one of those spots. Another controversial aspect to Wake County schools is their reassignment policy. In an effort to keep each school economically diverse, some students are sent to schools that are not the school closest to their homes. Again, some people have a problem with this and some do not. It is a matter of personal tastes.

Durham County schools often get a bad rap because, at first glance, their test scores are lower than in other districts. However, upon further examination you'll see that it's more complicated. Durham is more racially and economically diverse than the other cities within The Triangle and that leads to a lot of diversity in test scores. It is an unfortunate fact in this country that, nation-wide, black students do not score as well on standardized tests as white students. (Note that I find this sad and shameful and I think the country as a whole NEEDS to address this, but I won't talk further on that in this thread). Durham is a far more racially-diverse community (approximately 46% of the population is black), and so the overall scores are lower. Also, Durham does not have a program that integrates lower-income students into traditionally higher-income schools the way Wake County does, so the atmosphere of the schools can vary. However, despite all of this, there are some excellent schools in Durham. Four of Durham's high schools were recently listed in Newsweek Magazine's list of the top 5% of high schools in the nation. And there are excellent magnet school programs, too. And of course, some people (myself included) honestly want their children to live in a more racially-diverse area & they pick Durham for that reason.

Note that I live in Durham. I have no children, but I checked out the local elementary school in case we have a child soon. Since I am white, I checked out the test scores for white children at the school and discovered that white children at that school actually tested higher on standarized tests than white children at some of the best schools in other districts. I also saw that, at some Durham schools, black students test higher than in schools in other districts. However, their overall scores still do not match the scores of the white students and those lower scores bring down the average test scores of the schools. So basically, you have to examine the scores closely to get a real feel of whether the school is right for your child.

Chapel Hill & Carrboro schools are known to be excellent. They probably have the best school system in the area. The problem I hear most commonly with their schools is that, with that excellent education comes a lot of pressure. Chapel Hill and Carrboro is home to college professors & other professionals. They expect a lot from their schools and in turn, the schools expect a lot from their students. Some children thrive in this environment. Others don't. I think, though, that the main thing that keeps people from moving to Chapel Hill & Carrboro is the more expensive real estate (some of the most expensive in the area). Cheaper homes can be found, but the school distric is smaller (remember that it isn't county-wide) so there aren't as many options as can be found in other districts.

So which school is best? Depends upon what is important to you.

Quote:
2. low crime
There are bad areas of every town. No surprise there. Durham has the highest crime rates, but most of that activity is centralized into a specific part of town. Most of Durham is just as safe and family friendly as the other communities.

Quote:
3. diversity
Durham is the most racially diverse of the Triangle cities. Raleigh isn't too far behind (30-something%). I know I posted statistics in a thread a while back. I'll have to come back later & post that info. As for sexual orientation, it seems that gays are pretty well accepted all over the Triangle. According to ferrickhead (our community's expert in this area), there are a lot more lesbians on the western side of the Triangle; Durham is very popular as is Chapel Hill and Carrboro. There is a GLBT film festical in Durham every year and the mayor of Carrboro is gay, so yes, we're pretty liberal around here.

Quote:
4. child friendly
The whooooooole area is child-friendly! It's a very family-oriented area.

Quote:
5. jobs
That depends on the job, of course, and I know nothing about your field so I can't help you there. Unemployment is low, but I strongly suggest that any professionals do a lot of homework before coming down here. Competition can be fierce in some fields.

Quote:
6. affordable housing no more than 700-750 for a 2 bedroom
I think you could find this in any of these towns. I suspect that in Chapel Hill you'll be more likely to be surrounded by college students, though.

Quote:
7. nice parks
Again, there are nice parks to be found all over the Triangle. Tons of child-friendly museums, too.

Quote:
8.are apex and cary suburbs of the triangle?
I would say they are offical part of the Triangle. I hesitate to call Cary a suburb, though. With a population of 125,000 people & plenty of its own to offer, I now see it as its own seperate town.

Quote:
9. if i live in durham can my kid go to a school in raliegh or wake county?
No, I don't think so. Children in public schools are assigned to schools within their district. However, you can ask Durham Schools to place your child in a different school within the Durham district. I'm not sure about the approval process for this.

As for basic feel for the areas? Well, to me it all feels pretty suburban. There are some parts of Durham and Raleigh that feel more urban than others, but it's pretty much just miles and miles of trees in all directions. Generally speaking, the western side of the Triangle is more liberal than the eastern side. There are people who feel very proud to live in every single part of the Triangle. I think the only way you can determine which place is best for you is to visit in-person. Good luck!

Old 07-30-2007, 09:00 AM

85 posts, read 297,195 times
Cool thank u thank u thank u

thank u so much MRS Steel u have answered all my quesitons and then some

i work in the environemtnal health feel so i hope to find a job when i move in early 08 and i will rent for a year get a feel for the area then purchase a house and quality of schools was a big issue

i will concentrate on the raliegh or chapel hill area if nothing more than for the schools but u're right with wake county exploding with strudents there will be a lot of moving around

i know that the raliegh area will be home to michigan and soon ui can sya bye bye michigan. i cant wait but thanks for all your help i really appreciate it

Old 07-30-2007, 09:12 AM
9/9

383 posts, read 566,510 times
We Durham Public folks (I am a teacher in the district) get a bad rap, but I honestly believe that my students get as good of an education in my classroom as they would in any classroom in Wake or Chapel Hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary