Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 07:12 PM

11 posts, read 32,404 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

I am currently attending the University of North Florida in Jacksonville. I will be graduating in December with my M. ED. in Special Education and will also be TESOL certified. I am not a teacher already, but my B.A is from Michigan State University in Psychology. My husband and I want to move to Raleigh or surrounding. However, we are not considering Chapel Hill or Durham yet.

I am wondering what my prospects would be for getting a job in a public school. Does anyone know of any positions opening up next spring? I will be certified to teach K-12 in FL so I really don't care what grade level.

What are the schools like in Wake Co. for Special Ed? Is it more inclusion-based with co-teaching, or more self-contained classrooms? Do all schools go year round? What does the county budget look like for next year? In Duval Co. where I am now, they just cut $75 million in the budget!

Thanks for any info. you can give me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 09:56 PM

1,281 posts, read 3,702,676 times
Sorry I can't help with specifics but you might want to check out the websites for the counties - public schools are under the county jurisidiction - I posted the Wake County website under the post about teaching positions today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon1379 View Post
Hi all!

I am currently attending the University of North Florida in Jacksonville. I will be graduating in December with my M. ED. in Special Education and will also be TESOL certified. I am not a teacher already, but my B.A is from Michigan State University in Psychology. My husband and I want to move to Raleigh or surrounding. However, we are not considering Chapel Hill or Durham yet.

I am wondering what my prospects would be for getting a job in a public school. Does anyone know of any positions opening up next spring? I will be certified to teach K-12 in FL so I really don't care what grade level.

What are the schools like in Wake Co. for Special Ed? Is it more inclusion-based with co-teaching, or more self-contained classrooms? Do all schools go year round? What does the county budget look like for next year? In Duval Co. where I am now, they just cut $75 million in the budget!

Thanks for any info. you can give me!

Old 04-21-2008, 05:24 AM

15 posts, read 85,043 times
I would think that a teaching job in Special Education should be pretty easy to find. There is always a need for Special Education teachers.

Old 04-21-2008, 06:34 AM

563 posts, read 955,198 times
Also check out the surrounding counties, Durham and Orange. Check the websites for the process for applying for teaching positions.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:32 AM

32 posts, read 138,581 times
You will be inundated with job offers as a special education teacher. It is a good time to be job hunting in NC.

Old 04-21-2008, 02:36 PM

28 posts, read 81,985 times
Default Don't mean to hijack a thread but...

do any high schools in the Raleigh area have Criminal Justice/Vocational programs?

Old 06-28-2009, 10:48 AM

1 posts, read 3,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleigh Parent View Post
You will be inundated with job offers as a special education teacher. It is a good time to be job hunting in NC.
Im thinking of relocating from NY to raleigh area. I have 14 yrs experience in special ed, 9 as a teacher. any idea where I could start to look?

Old 06-28-2009, 11:33 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
That thread was from 2008 that said it was a good time to be job hunting for teachers in NC. That's not true anymore.

State budgets are being slashed. Teachers will be cut or taxes will rise. Or both will happen.

Nonetheless, go to the Wake County web site and see what's open now:

WCPSS: Job Openings

There have also been other threads that discussed things are not as they seem as far as the jobs that are available. Others may have first "dibs" on them. Someone else can supply details or you can search for the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teehiggins65 View Post
Im thinking of relocating from NY to raleigh area. I have 14 yrs experience in special ed, 9 as a teacher. any idea where I could start to look?

Old 06-28-2009, 01:14 PM

124 posts, read 292,828 times
Don't be fooled by the amount of job listings on the website. Due to budget cuts, many teachers were let go and when schools were allowed to rehire they had to post the positions. Most jobs (if not all) are going to be filled by the teachers who had to be let go. Many teachers had been with the county for a long time.

Old 06-28-2009, 01:14 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times
"Don't mean to hijack a thread but...
do any high schools in the Raleigh area have Criminal Justice/Vocational programs?"

Then why hijack it??
It is easy to start your own thread.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary