Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2019, 04:46 PM

873 posts, read 1,017,839 times

Advertisements

From today's N&O:
Brookfield Properties, the real estate investment trust that owns the mall, is submitting a rezoning request to the city of Durham that would allow it to move beyond only offering shopping on its 90-acre property.

At a neighborhood meeting on Thursday, Brookfield revealed that it would be requesting a new zoning designation to allow up to 200,000 square feet of office space, 100,000 square feet of new retail space, a hotel and up to 750 apartments.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/bu...225006430.html

It's doing this in part to be able to convert the existing Sears store into office space. As for a hotel, that one perplexes me. There's already Fairfield Inn Suites and Hyatt Place Durham on the west end of the campus and Hilton Garden Inn at the east. Is there really that much demand for people to stay near here? And with more people coming with that addition as well as up to 750 apartments, it's going to be even more of a congested mess driving along the parkway between 751 and Fayetteville Road.

Of course, the rezoning hasn't happened yet, so this is just speculation for now. Still, with all this and more development popping up around the area, I'm glad I'm not having to drive south of I-40 on 751 or Fayetteville Road to get home every day.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2019, 04:56 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,276,961 times
Live! Work! Play!

Old 02-01-2019, 05:37 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,968,766 times
"Is there really that much demand for people to stay near here?"
yes.

Old 02-01-2019, 08:45 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,771,173 times
Honestly every time I go there I wonder how much cooler it would be if there were 2-3 stories of condos or apartments over all the outside shops. Same goes for the shops buildings at Brier Creek.

Old 02-02-2019, 02:06 AM

1,737 posts, read 2,575,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Honestly every time I go there I wonder how much cooler it would be if there were 2-3 stories of condos or apartments over all the outside shops. Same goes for the shops buildings at Brier Creek.
Maybe it's a generational thing, but I don't see the appeal of living in or on a shopping mall.

Old 02-02-2019, 03:09 AM

610 posts, read 746,589 times
Me either.

Old 02-02-2019, 04:54 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,904,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Live! Work! Play!

lol

Nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
Maybe it's a generational thing, but I don't see the appeal of living in or on a shopping mall.

Yeah... that's not the wave. Dunno about this one...

Old 02-02-2019, 06:47 AM

179 posts, read 152,048 times
Quote:
I couldn't do it myself, but there is this big trend all around the U.S. right now for "mixed-use", North Hills-ish types of communities, the theory being that they are more walkable and give a sense of "community", I guess because people want to walk to the grocery store and be assured they will see their neighbor every day along the walk; the easy solution for that is to stick a Whole Foods in the first floor of a condo building.

After all, if downtown property gets too expensive, why not make create your own "miniature downtown" micro-economy in an area where property is still affordable?

Meanwhile traditional malls are struggling as some of their large retail anchors are folding. So, my hunch is that since Southpoint was built with sort of a hybrid approach in the first place (walkways and stores with outdoor entrances), the goal here is probably to hedge their bets on letting residencies be the anchors that ensure shoppers hit the stores.

I personally wouldn't buy a residency in one of these, but when the condos are equipped to look super-slick with nice interior designs, with enough marketing effort behind them they seem to be attracting a certain amount of younger folks without kids that like the idea of the facade of urban living, walk-ability to bars and restaurants, etc.

It's probably a trend which, just like retail malls will lead to lots of empty condos one day even if it takes a couple of decades to get there, but regardless of trends a nice home with a bit of a yard on a quiet street is always going to be a better long-term investment.

Old 02-02-2019, 06:51 AM

1,322 posts, read 1,258,889 times
Quote:
My teenage self would love it.

Old 02-02-2019, 06:54 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,545,044 times
They need to copy the thriving, walkable Park West business model.

Only problem at Park West is all the unlocked cars getting stuff stolen while at the movies...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary