Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2018, 11:24 PM

1,315 posts, read 2,683,447 times

Advertisements

I wonder if this is actually happening? If so,it will be transformative for the Triangle and in my opinion, a better score than Amazon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 06:08 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,405,521 times
Based on NC news, it overwhelmingly seems like Raleigh has it in the bag. Also with Hickory getting a big investment. NC media has a lot more details and confident sources.

In Washington media, they’re all saying Apple is looking to add a 20,000 campus.

Brazilian media says it’s down to Raleigh and DC
https://www.theenemy.com.br/apple/ap...te-ou-virginia

Old 05-17-2018, 06:10 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,169,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW747 View Post
I wonder if this is actually happening? If so,it will be transformative for the Triangle and in my opinion, a better score than Amazon.
This may even facilitate the area landing both. How big of a deal would that be?

Old 05-17-2018, 06:17 AM

43,361 posts, read 77,251,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
This may even facilitate the area landing both. How big of a deal would that be?
Too big.

Old 05-17-2018, 06:18 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,270,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
There's no way we would get both. I would almost say no city would get both, outside of maybe one or two. Both want to be the new big dogs. Having first pick of the local talent and everything.

But I am not counting any chickens until I see groundbreaking.

Old 05-17-2018, 06:26 AM

11,232 posts, read 8,324,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
There's no way we would get both. I would almost say no city would get both, outside of maybe one or two. Both want to be the new big dogs. Having first pick of the local talent and everything.

But I am not counting any chickens until I see groundbreaking.
Agree on both of your comments. Especially the latter.

IF it happens, it will be ramping up just around the time I retire (10-17 years from now). If the Cost of Living goes as projected, I'll sell my house, cash out, and retire either in the country, in the mountains, or in Belize.... If it doesn't happen, I'll go on living my life.

In short, I really don't have a preference, I'll work with whatever comes our way.

Old 05-17-2018, 06:57 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,590,712 times
Being in IT I’m pretty excited about the possibility but won’t count my chickens before they hatch either. Also not planning to leave where I am for at least 18 heads when I get fully vested in my pension...

Someone posted about open offices - we have a semi-open one with low walls and it’s awful. So loud when people get on the phone or have to collaborate at desks that you can’t focus without noise canceling ear phones in. It may be good for some things but definitely not for anything that requires complete focus. I have to work from home for those tasks.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:04 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,700,979 times
The fact that Apple is targeting Weston first and then the park tells me the impact to the area may not be as severe as one might believe. The talk is 10,000 employees, but reading between the lines, it appears 5k-7k is a more reasonable expectation.

While that is no small amount, I don't believe that will have the overwhelming impact on the region that an Amazon 2nd HQ would have. Amazon would have required re-thinking the future planning of the entire transportation plan for the next 30 years or so. Quite honestly, I believe it would have sparked more innovative talk; one of the benefits to an Amazon HQ landing here.

Apple will have an impact, but most of the infrastructure is in place. Maybe more conversation will be had around some sort of rail solution, but only as it pertains to using existing lines (similar to Virginia's VRE, I would expect), with shuttles or buses in support.

I'd expect Cary, Morrisville, Apex and Durham to all be impacted. I wonder if RTP would entertain the idea of a mixed-use area within the park?

Old 05-17-2018, 07:05 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,291,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reds37win View Post
The fact that Apple is targeting Weston first and then the park tells me the impact to the area may not be as severe as one might believe. The talk is 10,000 employees, but reading between the lines, it appears 5k-7k is a more reasonable expectation.
Only 1000 will be in Weston while they build out RTP.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:07 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,291,700 times
Just for comparison sake, does anyone know how many employees work at Cisco in RTP?

Edit: According to Wikipedia, 5000

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Research_Triangle_Park
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary