Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 06:37 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,488,475 times

Advertisements

I think I will be visiting Raleigh next weekend. Where is the best place to stay to take advantage of tourist attractions ? Are there any must sees?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2017, 06:59 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,388,775 times
What kind of "tourist attractions" are you looking for...other than the state museums in downtown there isn't much in Raleigh that would be considered a tourist attraction. Including Chapel Hill and Durham in your itinerary adds a few things, but not a whole lot. Raleigh isn't really a tourist destination.

Old 10-24-2017, 07:05 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,232,569 times
next weekend, the big event is the NC State v Clemson game - it will either be 3:30 or 7 pm Saturday. Traffic will build 3 hours before the game on Wade Avenue, the Beltline nearby, and I40 East nearby.

UNC will host Miami next Saturday too, at noon. 40 Westbound between the airport and Chapel Hill will be busy from 10:30-12, and then eastbound from 3:30-6. That will nicely coincide with the State traffic if the game is 7 pm, so avoid I40 East between Durham and Raleigh if the State game is 7 pm.

The best place to stay is probably at a hotel in the Brier Creek area.

Museums are largely concentrated in Raleigh, especially downtown. The NC Museum of Art is near the football game.

The Hunt Library on NC State Centennial Campus is spectacular.
The State Farmers Market is close to the library.

Durham, you'd want to check out Duke Campus, especially the gardens and the Chapel. I'd check the internet for basketball games at Duke and UNC for next weekend.

American Tobacco campus in Durham is definitely worth an hour or more of your time to wander around, and eat.

Old 10-24-2017, 07:05 AM

205 posts, read 182,818 times
My advice...drive around Raleigh to the mountains or the beach.

Old 10-24-2017, 07:15 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,598,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post

The Hunt Library on NC State Centennial Campus is spectacular.
This right here! This library is amazing!

Old 10-24-2017, 07:17 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,776,469 times
I think the best attraction in Raleigh is just the downtown area itself. Crank Arm Brewery for some drinks, one of Ashley Christenson's restraurants for dinner (especially Death&Taxes or Poole's Diner), something sweet at Lucette Grace, another beer at Brewery Bhavana, then hit the sack at one of the hotels right downtown (even though they are $$$ compared to staying out at a mall or a shopping center on the edge). Wake up and get coffee at Sir Walter Coffee. See the museums downtown and walk the capitol grounds next door. Then leave downtown for a bit and head over to the NC Museum of Art. Walk around inside at both wings, then spend some time outside walking the trails. Then head back downtown and catch a breather before heading back out. Stop in at Landmark Tavern and let Gary pour you a stiff drink. Then maybe sit outside at Raleigh Times for a bit and people watch on the sidewalk. See who is playing at King's or Pour House. Pop into the best dive bar in the state, Slim's Downtown Distillery.

Anyway, that's what I'd do

Old 10-24-2017, 11:48 AM

19,446 posts, read 27,866,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvarghese84 View Post
My advice...drive around Raleigh to the mountains or the beach.
Where's the thumbs down button when you need one?

Old 10-24-2017, 12:22 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,935,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I think I will be visiting Raleigh next weekend. Where is the best place to stay to take advantage of tourist attractions ? Are there any must sees?
Raleigh and the surrounding area is pretty spread-out so there is no "must-stay" locations. Brier Creek area is good, as well as downtown Raleigh, North Hills/Crabtree areas.

As far as things to do here are some good ideas:

Two-Day Tour of Raleigh | Things to Do in Raleigh, NC

Old 10-24-2017, 12:43 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,240,630 times
On Saturday morning have breakfast at Big Ed's. Close to Moore Square. Downtown Raleigh. If you have kids the Marbles Kids Museum. Very close to Big Ed's.

Old 10-24-2017, 12:53 PM

104 posts, read 172,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
I think the best attraction in Raleigh is just the downtown area itself. Crank Arm Brewery for some drinks, one of Ashley Christenson's restraurants for dinner (especially Death&Taxes or Poole's Diner), something sweet at Lucette Grace, another beer at Brewery Bhavana, then hit the sack at one of the hotels right downtown (even though they are $$$ compared to staying out at a mall or a shopping center on the edge). Wake up and get coffee at Sir Walter Coffee. See the museums downtown and walk the capitol grounds next door. Then leave downtown for a bit and head over to the NC Museum of Art. Walk around inside at both wings, then spend some time outside walking the trails. Then head back downtown and catch a breather before heading back out. Stop in at Landmark Tavern and let Gary pour you a stiff drink. Then maybe sit outside at Raleigh Times for a bit and people watch on the sidewalk. See who is playing at King's or Pour House. Pop into the best dive bar in the state, Slim's Downtown Distillery.

Anyway, that's what I'd do
Don't forget to grab some chocolate next door to Crank Arm at Videri!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary