Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 07:41 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,371,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Mauch View Post
He would be working in Downtown Raleigh. ITS division of The State of NC. No idea where that office is!
I work in downtown Raleigh. If commute is a big issue I would be wary of Holly Springs, Apex, Wake Forest, and Rolesville. Those are very nice places to live, but I work with people who live in those areas and their commute to work in Downtown Raleigh isn't something to get excited about. For commuting to downtown, I like locations in North Raleigh (that don't require regular commuting down Capital Boulevard), Cary, The Northern Area of Clayton, and the area south of Downtown Raleigh along the Lake Wheeler Road area in unincorporated Wake County.

I totally agree that you should consider renting for 6 months to a year to get the lay of the land. So many options take time to consider!

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2008, 01:38 AM

93 posts, read 293,205 times
Default Kim

Quote:
SO CONFUSED! Could someone give me the general idea of what these areas are about? We are a family of four, two kids age 9 and 11, relocating in the next few months....
I will say this to you. I will be short and sweet. There are few factors that you need to see and that should determine where you want to be at.
  • Where will you and your husband will work.
  • what school district you will prefer.
  • how far would like to commute, with gas pricing going up every day you might want to be close.
  • Do you want to be close to shopping, movies, and other establishment.
  • New construction or resale.
  • Big yard or don't care.
The price range that you have chosen can get you a fairly good home. Please think about these things and than let us knwo what other questions you might have about this move. I hope this helps.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:11 AM

31 posts, read 92,903 times
Hi Lovemaine!
The landfill doesn't scare me as much as the things I keep hearing about the schools and redistricting! Do you have any input on that issue? Any idea what the commute would be from Holly Springs? Finally, are there any developments with amenities and townhomes sections for my in-laws who would also be moving to the area?

Can you share the names of your neighbors and when they moved? Granger is a small town and there is a small chance we know them!

Thanks for your responses-
Kim

Old 03-15-2008, 02:39 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,731,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Mauch View Post
Hi Lovemaine!
The landfill doesn't scare me as much as the things I keep hearing about the schools and redistricting! Do you have any input on that issue? Any idea what the commute would be from Holly Springs? Finally, are there any developments with amenities and townhomes sections for my in-laws who would also be moving to the area?

Can you share the names of your neighbors and when they moved? Granger is a small town and there is a small chance we know them!

Thanks for your responses-
Kim
Hi Kim!

The redistricting issue hasn't affected us (yet). Our older child starts middle school this year. Since our younger one is on track 2, we applied for year-round middle school for our older one. This way they're both year-round, and on the same track. It gets kinda confusing. We're still trying to figure things out. I can tell you though that no one that I know in our subdivision has been moved to a different school. Doesn't mean it won't happen, just not so far.

I'll send you a direct message re: our neighbors.

Take care!

Old 03-15-2008, 03:04 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,641,068 times
Personally I would argue that Apex is the most liveable of all of the areas mentioned. Of those mentioned by the op and others on this thread; I have lived in NW Raliegh, Cary, South Raleigh, and Apex. While we liked Apex the best by far of all of these places and is IMO the nicest town in the triangle; it would have the longest commute of the aformentioned places that we lived.

Old 03-15-2008, 05:32 PM

850 posts, read 3,632,518 times
You can find a really nice home for $250k....it really depends on how important the commute is. When we first moved here (2 years ago) we were planning on a 20 min commute. But we loved Clayton (which is in Johnston County and doesn't have the redistricting/year round issues that Wake does) and dh's commute is now 45-50 minutes...but its a price we can deal with. For others it may not be. Dh car pooled for the first 1 1/2 years and he's on a 12 hour schedule only going in 3 and 4 days a week...so we're spending less on gas...but that is also a point to consider.

There are also some parts of Garner that are in Johnston County.

We rented for a few months while we "neighborhood" shopped.....most rental places will go short term for you but the rent goes up the shorter the term.

Lauren

Old 03-15-2008, 05:40 PM

426 posts, read 1,493,670 times
We relocated from MA, moved in to our new house in January. My first choice was Apex but we ended up buying in West Cary and I LOVE it here. We live in a subdivision with a laid back HOA, the restrictive covenants are very basic/reasonable. The ppl are friendly and its really peaceful here. We are surrounded by woods, apparently its not strange to see a deer in your backyard. Yet our location is so convenient, just off SW Cary Pkwy. We are only about 1.5 miles from the Apex town line. The type of person I am, there are many subdivisions in Cary where I just would not fit in.

We drove to/through Holly Springs but eliminated it due to its distance from RTP. My dh had an awful commute in MA, so we really wanted to find something a bit closer. He's 10 miles from work now and can be home within 20-25 mins. Durham we eliminated on the advice of others (although there were some nice neighborhoods). North Raleigh was really nice, saw a few lovely homes and seriously considered buying there. After spending time in the area, the noise from planes flying overhead was just too much.

Old 03-16-2008, 06:51 AM

28 posts, read 87,982 times
Default Try Rolesville before you make a final choice

Rolesville is a great place and I would suggest checking this place out before you make a final choice. This is a place which you may like or feel too quaint and only you can be the judge of that.

Old 03-16-2008, 05:59 PM

9 posts, read 19,741 times
Holly Springs is the best. The land fill is really not going to be an issue. And if the nuclear plant blows they will know about it in North Raleigh.
Check out sunset oaks in Holly Springs. They have an awesome pool. As for schools, I have a 10th grader and an 8th grader and Wake County Schools are the best. My children have been in year round at West Lake and we have loved it. They still get breaks. We go to school for 9 weeks and then "track-out" for 3 weeks. My husband ran out of vacation time because we were always ready to go somewhere. They nor the teachers or as burnt out. The past two years they have been on different schedules, but we made it work. (as there are no year round high schools).

Old 03-16-2008, 06:04 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,641,068 times
not quite true....Southeast Raleigh is on a "modified" year round schedule. I believe one of the other magnet schools is as well, enloe maybe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary