Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2015, 11:14 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times

Advertisements

and there was another Andy's location. Anybody remember?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2016, 08:36 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,820,952 times
Remember when NC didn't have any professional teams other than the Hornets (first time around).

Old 12-25-2016, 08:56 PM

6,373 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ Public View Post
Remember when NC didn't have any professional teams other than the Hornets (first time around).
I remember going to Ice-Caps games at Dorton Arena before the Hurricanes were here.

Dad was a bandwagon Panther's fan when they first started....quickly reverted back to a Dolphins fan and still is to this day.

Old 12-26-2016, 05:01 AM

We had pro basketball here once...the Carolina Cougars of the ABA League. They played in Dorton Arena as well.

Old 12-26-2016, 04:16 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,561,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
We had pro basketball here once...the Carolina Cougars of the ABA League. They played in Dorton Arena as well.
Pretty fascinating history of that club. They stared out as a charter member of the ABA as the Houston Mavericks who were then purchased by NC Lt. Gov. Jim Gardner who owned the club for a year. They were considered a 'regional' club, based out of Greensboro, but played at the Charlotte Coliseum, Dorton, Reynolds and the Winston-Salem Memorial Coliseum.

Gardner sold the club to Tedd Munchak who held it for four years and sold the club to a NY business consortium that moved the club to St. Louis. It was one of two clubs that did not merge with the NBA, but prior to dissolving the club a deal was made that the St. Louis group received a cut of other ABA teams TV revenues in perpetuity that was worth over $300M for some 40 years. In 2014 the NBA reached an agreement with the NY group to forfeit future payments for a one-time $500M payment, making the total deal value over $800M.

The biggest legacy of the club was to open up professional basketball to the southeast because the NBA at the time had no interest in having teams south of Washington DC because of fan interest was fixed on college hoops.

Personally, I kind of wish the ABA was still around, if for no other reason than that crazy looking ball. Wild times.

Old 12-26-2016, 06:39 PM

16 posts, read 12,776 times
you know you are fron Raleigh if you remember the tower and forest driveins, the state and ambassassdor movie theaters, Hayes Barton swimming pool

Old 12-26-2016, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Pretty fascinating history of that club. They stared out as a charter member of the ABA as the Houston Mavericks who were then purchased by NC Lt. Gov. Jim Gardner who owned the club for a year. They were considered a 'regional' club, based out of Greensboro, but played at the Charlotte Coliseum, Dorton, Reynolds and the Winston-Salem Memorial Coliseum.

Gardner sold the club to Tedd Munchak who held it for four years and sold the club to a NY business consortium that moved the club to St. Louis. It was one of two clubs that did not merge with the NBA, but prior to dissolving the club a deal was made that the St. Louis group received a cut of other ABA teams TV revenues in perpetuity that was worth over $300M for some 40 years. In 2014 the NBA reached an agreement with the NY group to forfeit future payments for a one-time $500M payment, making the total deal value over $800M.

The biggest legacy of the club was to open up professional basketball to the southeast because the NBA at the time had no interest in having teams south of Washington DC because of fan interest was fixed on college hoops.

Personally, I kind of wish the ABA was still around, if for no other reason than that crazy looking ball. Wild times.
Those red, white and blue balls did take some getting used too

Old 04-21-2017, 07:21 AM

1 posts, read 963 times
Do you mind asking your parents if they remember a gentleman by the name of Harry Hilliard being on the Jim Thornton show. He was a my great uncle? Thank you.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:24 AM

49 posts, read 52,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Those red, white and blue balls did take some getting used too
I can only imagine. That sounds painful.

Old 04-21-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agapemom View Post
Do you mind asking your parents if they remember a gentleman by the name of Harry Hilliard being on the Jim Thornton show. He was a my great uncle? Thank you.
I'm sure my dad would know of him but he no longer lives. My brother and I would stay up with my dad and watch The Jim Thornton Show when we were kids. He would occasionally let us get a little swig of Budweiser
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary