Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 09:18 PM

502 posts, read 1,741,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
They won't even consider that idea because it does nothing to fix the problem we have now. Who cares about the benefits it may have in the future!

Who cares about the future! What a great planning tactic.

If you don't care about the future then just buy water from Sams Club. It will take care of what you need for today and is the cheapest alternative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 07:14 AM

656 posts, read 1,993,129 times
Thanks for posting the article about dredging Falls Lake. It just seems that at every level to plan for the future the "powers to be" keep figuring out why it won't be worth it!

Old 02-22-2008, 07:48 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,347,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convergent View Post

If you don't care about the future then just buy water from Sams Club. It will take care of what you need for today and is the cheapest alternative.
Convergent! Eureka you have solved the water problem!! I like your thinking! I'd give you a point but I have to share them before I can give you another.

In all seriousness, this problem will be with us for a long time I'm afraid at least until the next hurricane season starting in September 2008 so creative solutions are always welcome!

Oh yea, I am still experimental how to shower, brush my teeth, and fill the dog bowl water with one 20 Oz. Sam's Club bottle of water. Conservation to the max! I'll share with the forum if I can figure it out.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:50 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,918,289 times
It is difficult to be foresighted. Durham implemented very strict restrictions back in October and was the brunt of chatter in the Triangle. ("Hey, look, Durham's running out of water!")

But just as importantly: City leaders stepped up to make an immediate expansion of our Cary interconnect; bought water from OWASA; and tapped Teer Quarry.

Oh, and Cary/Durham/Chatham/Orange Co. are moving forward on a collaborative, regional (western Triangle) effort to build a second intake into Jordan Lake.

I'm glad to see our city leaders out ahead of the issue -- could have been farther ahead, but as the Raleigh case shows, could have been a lot worse, too.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:55 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,303,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
It is difficult to be foresighted. Durham implemented very strict restrictions back in October and was the brunt of chatter in the Triangle. ("Hey, look, Durham's running out of water!")

But just as importantly: City leaders stepped up to make an immediate expansion of our Cary interconnect; bought water from OWASA; and tapped Teer Quarry.

Oh, and Cary/Durham/Chatham/Orange Co. are moving forward on a collaborative, regional (western Triangle) effort to build a second intake into Jordan Lake.

I'm glad to see our city leaders out ahead of the issue -- could have been farther ahead, but as the Raleigh case shows, could have been a lot worse, too.

Thanks for clarifying the Durham situation. I was amazed to read in a recent article that they now have as much as 180 days of water available in Durham. It seems like just a few months ago Durham was portrayed as being in the worst shape of all the area communities with just 47 days of water. I don't know if the reporting back then was inaccurate but the fact that Durham has expanded their reserves up to 180 days through additional sources and conservation efforts is quite amazing and hasn't been explained very well through the media outlets.

Old 02-22-2008, 01:59 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,586,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convergent View Post

Someone didn't pick up on my sarcasm.

Old 02-22-2008, 05:21 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,693,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Someone didn't pick up on my sarcasm.
Got ya covered.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:01 AM

746 posts, read 1,243,735 times
How does building 4000 new homes in Wendell help this water situation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary