Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 06:43 PM

68 posts, read 294,224 times

Advertisements

Can someone please tell me about Knightdale High School? I looked at the Wake Cty Public School Directory and it said the school itself performs poorly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 08:06 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times
Unfortunately, it's probably true. Garner and Knightdale have been the "dumping grounds" for WCPSS's FNR kids for a quite a while. However, I am confident that it will improve in the next few years as more and more people relocating to the area are priced out of Cary and Raleigh and are attracted to the lower housing prices in SE Wake County.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:28 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,437,728 times
Knightdale High School is only a few years old. I've heard there are a lot of drugs and gang activity, but I'm not sure its any worse there than other public schools in Wake County (its everywhere). They should offer the same AP and Honors courses, but I heard from a KHS parent the course offerings aren't equitable, so I don't know. If your child is motivated and a good student, the educational opportunities should be there.. but the environment may not be the best....

They (KHS) draw a lot of their base population from eastern wake county, this was one of the first areas the Latinos settled in 20 years ago, therefore many of those children are now in high school..

Many of the newer neighborhoods in Wake Forest are now zoned KHS, not sure how many high school kids are involved - it won't make a big impact if the neighborhood has mostly elementary school aged children. I've heard Hwy 401 is the unoffical dividing line for WFRHS and KHS - but I can think of at least one subdivision that would be on the Wake Forest side of 401 yet is zoned to KHS, so I don't know.

It seems like kids are only a mile or two from WFRHS, yet are being bussed 10 miles away.. cross country to Knightdale High School - I think to reduce crowding at WFRHS until HHS is built, but also to help decrease the F&R (free and reduced lunch ) ratios.

Heritage High in WF is slated to open in 2009 or 2010 - but they start with grades 9 and 10 the first year and add a grade each year.. so it will be awhile before HHS is fully populated.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:37 AM

116 posts, read 471,987 times
When we moved a month ago, we had found a house in Rolesville we liked but did not buy there after checking out KHS

Old 01-31-2008, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NadiaP View Post
When we moved a month ago, we had found a house in Rolesville we liked but did not buy there after checking out KHS
I'm not surprised.

Is this a new subdivision?

Where did you end up buying?

Old 01-31-2008, 07:02 AM

116 posts, read 471,987 times
If I remember correctly we were looking at the Lennar homes, I think the subdivision was....Wood..something. I dont remember. But we loved the Lennar homes and ended up buying one in Clayton, Summerlynn

Old 01-31-2008, 07:10 AM

68 posts, read 294,224 times
We are actually looking in Wake Forest and thats what I was worried about was were my kids would go to HS. My sister-in-law lives in Caldwell Woods, so we are looking near her. Some Heritage houses are also zones for Knightdale HS.
Where can I look in Wake Forest and not have my kids go to Knightdale HS?
Any developments you can suggest?
One more question I hear Jones Dairy Elementary is a good school, my son needs special ed. and they seem very knowledgable there about that. Anyone have info on this school too??

Old 01-31-2008, 08:27 AM

18 posts, read 104,338 times
Default School Zones

Where can I find out the schools zones for each neighborhood or subdivision. Or are they always changing the zones when they build new schools and you never know where u end up? My daughter will be entering kindergarten in Sept but i don't want her being bussed accross town for no reason. I haven't moved yet to NC but I plan to rent before buying for 6 months to a year and want to be prepared.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:45 AM

Growth Management Map (http://wwwgis2.wcpss.net/cgi-bin/mapserver/Production/WCMapscript.pl?MainOption=FindNodes&NodeType=BASE& MagProg=&SchoolInfo=466+Knightdale+High&ProgramTit le=Base+Attendance+Area+(Current)&MagName=&Calenda rYear=2007-2008 - broken link)

Here is a link for the Knightdale HS base.
I see a few nodes zoned KHS in WF - such a shame when they are soooo close to WFRHS. The base attendance area is HUGE..... and in some interesting parts of Raleigh and Wake County..

I played around with some WF addresses.. one street is WFRHS, one street over is KHS..

If I had young children I wouldn't be as concerned, there will be a lot of rezoning as East Wake population increases, Heritage Opens, etc.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb1chloe View Post
Where can I find out the schools zones for each neighborhood or subdivision. Or are they always changing the zones when they build new schools and you never know where u end up? My daughter will be entering kindergarten in Sept but i don't want her being bussed accross town for no reason. I haven't moved yet to NC but I plan to rent before buying for 6 months to a year and want to be prepared.
You can use the growth management link on my above post. You can search by address, node, school, etc.

The chance of rezoning depends a lot on the area.. our friends have been sent to 3 elementary schools in 7 years !!!

good luck !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary