Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 07:53 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
That's my logic when buying Talenti.
I'm not a big ice cream fan (hurts my teeth), but talenti salted caramel is SO worth it. Yummmmmm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 09:05 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I'm not a big ice cream fan (hurts my teeth), but talenti salted caramel is SO worth it. Yummmmmm.
That one is indeed tasty. I'm also a fan of their Banana Chocolate Swirl.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:43 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,028,419 times
[quote=RedZin;41529640]That's my logic when buying Talenti.

I'm serious,try the Turkey Hill salted caramel or peanutbutter/chocolate gelato. The Breyers gelato is horrible so I was hesitant. But I've been impressed with all the flavors except chocolate chip(too much cocoa). I actually used to splurge on Talenti but the last one I bought got freezer burn from being neglected for the Turkey Hill.

Kroger deluxe is a favorite and Targets premium is ok. Stopped eating Breyers after it became a frozen dessert rather then ice cream. Occasionally I will still by vanilla(one of the few flavors still legally able to be labeled ice cream) for pies and milkshakes etc...

I know several posters love to talk pizza and bagels. But ice cream...sweet,cold delicious ice cream is my passion.

Jkgourmet I put up TH salted caramel next to Talenti's and my whole family won't even touch it, it's the one I had to throw away and that's just sacrilege in my book. I previously enjoyed it, that's how much better TH does it.You know those few candy pieces you dig to find in Talenti's, more and better quality in the TH, less expensive too. Highest I've seen it is 5.99 a qt but I usually stock up when it's on sale for $3.

Last edited by cyn7cyn; 10-12-2015 at 10:57 AM..

Old 10-12-2015, 11:15 AM

201 posts, read 189,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
Assuming this is even true (I don't think the FDA has any "fine-tooth combs" left due to budget cuts), unless the entire management structure has been replaced, they'll be up to their old ways soon enough. Old dog, new tricks, etc.
Old ways? They have been in business for 108 years and as far as I know this is the first time they had contaminated ice cream. It's unfortunate that people died, but they're not the first company with tainted food and they won't be the last.

Old 10-12-2015, 08:11 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetwhisperer View Post
Old ways? They have been in business for 108 years and as far as I know this is the first time they had contaminated ice cream. It's unfortunate that people died, but they're not the first company with tainted food and they won't be the last.
Listeria or not, they still use high fructose corn syrup, artificial colors, and too many thickeners. I wouldn't even call it ice cream. More people need to support companies who use better ingredients rather than crap that Blue Bell uses.

Talenti = Amazing! That is sold at Whole Foods. Perfect example of a high quality product with awesome ingredients. What’s Inside | Talenti Gelato e Sorbetto

Here's Blue Bell "homemade" ice cream.

HFCS, trans fat (aka hydrogenated oil) artificial color, thickeners. Seriously, wtf is wrong with this company? How on earth can this be called home made ice cream??

Old 10-12-2015, 11:02 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
[quote=cyn7cyn;41531850]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
That's my logic when buying Talenti.

I'm serious,try the Turkey Hill salted caramel or peanutbutter/chocolate gelato. The Breyers gelato is horrible so I was hesitant. But I've been impressed with all the flavors except chocolate chip(too much cocoa). I actually used to splurge on Talenti but the last one I bought got freezer burn from being neglected for the Turkey Hill.

Kroger deluxe is a favorite and Targets premium is ok. Stopped eating Breyers after it became a frozen dessert rather then ice cream. Occasionally I will still by vanilla(one of the few flavors still legally able to be labeled ice cream) for pies and milkshakes etc...

I know several posters love to talk pizza and bagels. But ice cream...sweet,cold delicious ice cream is my passion.

Jkgourmet I put up TH salted caramel next to Talenti's and my whole family won't even touch it, it's the one I had to throw away and that's just sacrilege in my book. I previously enjoyed it, that's how much better TH does it.You know those few candy pieces you dig to find in Talenti's, more and better quality in the TH, less expensive too. Highest I've seen it is 5.99 a qt but I usually stock up when it's on sale for $3.
I am intrigued. I'll report back after this Pepsi Challenge.

Old 10-13-2015, 03:24 AM

201 posts, read 189,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
Listeria or not, they still use high fructose corn syrup, artificial colors, and too many thickeners. I wouldn't even call it ice cream. More people need to support companies who use better ingredients rather than crap that Blue Bell uses.

Talenti = Amazing! That is sold at Whole Foods. Perfect example of a high quality product with awesome ingredients. What’s Inside | Talenti Gelato e Sorbetto

HFCS, trans fat (aka hydrogenated oil) artificial color, thickeners. Seriously, wtf is wrong with this company? How on earth can this be called home made ice cream??
I've had Talenti and agree that it is a very good product. They sell it at Harris Teeter as well.

I'll still eat Blue Bell when and if it makes it back to NC. It's not something I eat everyday so I'm not too concerned about a little high fructose corn syrup.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:32 AM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post

I agree - so many ice cream ingredients are so gross! I have found two types of ice cream that have good ingredients, and they are almost exclusively the only ones I buy:

Turkey Hill Natural - not their regular line but their All Natural line. The chocolate ice cream, for example, has four ingredients: milk, cream, cocoa, and sugar. That's it! You can find it at Lowe's Food, Food Lion and some Harris Teeters.

Harris Teeter (Hunter Farms) Natural Line (It's a green container) - same thing. Their ice cream has just a few ingredients. Southern Milk Chocolate is milk, cream, cocoa, sugar, and vanilla. Strawberry is milk, cream, sugar, and strawberries! You can only find it at Harris Teeter. It's usually $3.99 per container so not pricey at all!

NO artificial flavors! No artificial colors! No guar gum! No carrageen! No HFCS! And they taste delicious!

Okay, that's my PSA for the day.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:49 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
I don't eat nearly as much ice cream as I used to and mostly it's ice cream we've made at home, ourselves but have to say, the Maple View is pretty darn good. Haven't had too many favors from them though. Can't get much more local than that either.

For store bought stuff of questionable ingredients, I really like the Magnum Ultimate chocolate bars ( I'll have to check the name) it is about as dark chocolate ice cream you can make with ribbons of dark chocolate swirled in it, dipped in a thick layer of ultra dark chocolate and rolled in cocoa nibs. Needless to say, if you are a milk chocolate person, you'll want to stay miles away from them. Since I routinely eat 85% chocolate it's about perfect.

Ok, they're called Chocolate Infinity and the ingredients aren't all that bad for store bought. http://www.magnumicecream.com/Produc...r/default.aspx

Old 10-13-2015, 07:09 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,525,465 times
For store-bought ice cream, I like Front Porch brand, made in Mooresville, NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary