Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 08:53 AM

70 posts, read 129,819 times

Advertisements

Another vote for Lemongrass Thai. The food is always quality, the staff is nice, and the place appears clean.

The best Pad See Ew in town!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 09:43 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,926,662 times
We stick mainly to N Raleigh so my suggestions may not encompass the entire RDU area but we used to like Sawasdee the best until Bangkok Thai opened in Wakefield. It's now by far our favorite. Sawasdee is very good, for sure, but we like BT better.

The third choice is Lemongrass. I'd only go here if I was in a hurry, really close, and didn't want to spend a lot of time doing something else.

Old 06-29-2014, 01:03 PM

475 posts, read 1,576,474 times
Thai Villa used to be favorite - their fried rice tasted the same as teh fried rice I had sitting at one of those eating places on the pavement of Bangkok. Not sure though what happened, however their quality of food has come down - and the taste is not as good as it was before.

Tom Yum Thai, in my opinion, was not really the taste of true Thai. It just did not taste good, and their pad thai had an aftertaste to it. Maybe it was an off day.

Sushi Thai & Lemongrass - love these two.

Taste is excellent - their rice with barbecue pork, served with a fried egg and salad is just incredible. Kids love their boba tea. Definitely try it if you have not been there as yet.

C&T wok is now my to-go place with 35 gone - really small space, and hard to get tables at times, but worth the wait.

Old 06-30-2014, 02:33 PM

183 posts, read 455,000 times
Tom Yum Thai is excellent. That was my favorite. Branch far out from Pad Thai for a good meal. The owner is really personable and always visited our table to say hello.

I highly recommend the Duck Basil.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:36 AM

13 posts, read 28,273 times
There is a nice little place in Holly Springs, That Thai Cusine. I do not consider myself a Thai expert by any means, but I do enjoy the food. Thanks for the other suggestions, will have to venture to some of them soon.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:48 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,161,545 times
Tom Yum Thai is the most authentic Thai food I've found in the area. At least as authentic was what I had in Phuket. Plus the owner is a total sweetheart.

I can't even go back to Sawasdee after they served me tom kha that used sweetened coconut milk. It was disgusting and the waitress even argued with me when I sent it back to the kitchen. It takes a particularly bad dish for me to send it back.

I also heard from a friend that 35 Chinese closed down. Makes me sad because we went there quite regularly!

Old 07-02-2014, 11:11 AM

235 posts, read 423,641 times
For Thai:
Thai Cafe in Durham (my favorite Thai, so far!)
Sawasdee (capital blvd)

For Vietnamese:
Taste (Morrisville, in the same location as C&T)
Pho Far East (used to be my fave, but Taste in Morrisville has become my current favorite )

For Chinese:
JJ China (Morrisville)

Old 11-02-2014, 11:09 AM

1,701 posts, read 2,593,412 times
Default Thumbs down on Sawasdee

Dinner at Sawasdee on Glenwood Avenue last night. Food was good, service was bad. Really bad.

Old 11-02-2014, 04:06 PM

19,448 posts, read 27,880,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbmartin View Post
Dinner at Sawasdee on Glenwood Avenue last night. Food was good, service was bad. Really bad.

A shame. In most Thai restaurants, the service is exemplary. Wonder what's happened to this one. we've enjoyed their food in the past.

Old 11-02-2014, 09:10 PM

644 posts, read 843,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
A shame. In most Thai restaurants, the service is exemplary. Wonder what's happened to this one. we've enjoyed their food in the past.
I second the terrible service at Sawasdee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary