Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 08:01 AM

269 posts, read 323,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
There is a viet place right next to CT that's supposed to be great. Can anyone w broad viet experience share?
I can't comment on the rest of the menu, but their pho is pretty good. They have a fillet pho that uses a higher quality meat than is generally used.

One caveat - Last time we went, they had a pretty low sanitation score posted. Of course, if you are a fan of C&T, you're not overly sensitive to such things!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 08:07 AM

11,242 posts, read 8,346,935 times
I agree about Tangerine. My favorite "Pan-Asian" restaurant in the area. Simply put, it's good food!

A lot of people like Tom Yum Thai, but my one and only experience there was good, but not great. The place over by Bass Pro Shops (I think it's Yum Yum Thai?) has a pretty loyal following as well, my one experience was "pretty good' I think the best I've had is Sawasdee, but again, not mind-blowing.

For Vietnamese you really need to go to Charlotte or G-boro. Charlotte has a few great places, and in Greensboro you can get the best Bahn Mi in the state at Bahn Mi Sandwich Bakery. Oh man, that place is good!!!

I have not tried Taste yet, been meaning to. (A few other Vietnamese places are starting to pop up, so hoping they will be good.)

Old 06-28-2014, 09:10 AM

4,267 posts, read 11,448,775 times
35 Restaurant has closed.
C & T Wok is great as is Tangerine Café.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:07 AM

19,461 posts, read 27,969,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
If you like CT you will definitely like 35 as well, pretty similar (although i prefer 35 a bit more). There is also a Szechuan place in downtown cary (Taipei 101 maybe if memory serves, but could be confusing) that's just a notch below CT but good too.

There is a viet place right next to CT that's supposed to be great. Can anyone w broad viet experience share?
Yes, the Vietnamese restaurant is called Taste of Vietnam. We've been there several times, usually with other couples, so we've had the chance to sample a fair variety of the menu. Stay away from the curry items (another example of an ethnic restaurant that wants to do it all, instead of just doing what they do well). The roast pork dishes were very good, such as Bun. The Pho was good, not great, but we'd go back again. Haven't had an appetizer we disliked yet, but several were somewhat different than what we expected.

On another note, the new Viet place in Cary across the street from Grand Asia is bad. Worst banh mi I've ever had. The Pho tasted like it was made from the powdered Pho you can buy at Grand Asia (which I have purchased and used at home). Incredibly slow service.

"Credentials": The East Valley of Phoenix is the fastest growing Asian community in the country, particularly for Vietnamese restaurants. The area is packed with them, so after living there for 25+ years, we've had a reasonable share of Vietnamese food. We've eaten in Thai restaurants around the country and London (very good Thai food!) as well as actually visiting and eating in Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore and Borneo.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:54 AM

455 posts, read 920,510 times
I really haven't had bad Thai in Cary yet.

Sushi Thai

Thai Spice and Sushi

Thai Villa

Tom Yum Thai (Best of the bunch)

Old 06-28-2014, 11:04 AM

553 posts, read 1,274,681 times
Bangkok Thai in North Raleigh.

Bangkok Thai Restaurant - Thai Cuisine, Food, Health Food

Old 06-28-2014, 04:24 PM

7 posts, read 10,946 times
Sadly it looks as though 35 Chinese has closed. Tangerine Cafe had some of the worst generic Thai (and horrible service) when my wife and I ate there. I've heard good things about Lemongrass and Thai Villa over by Grand Asia.

Old 06-28-2014, 06:00 PM

11,242 posts, read 8,346,935 times
I got served minute rice at Thai Villa, that was probably 15=20 years ago, and I have not been back.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:06 PM

1,521 posts, read 2,770,112 times
I thought 35 was moving from that ridiculous office space....no? Closed?? Hope not.

Tangerine is great but their thai is horrible. Maybe the worst pad thai I've ever had, anywhere. Nearly inedible.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:47 PM

260 posts, read 547,150 times
Best Thai in the area is Bangkok Thai on New Falls of Neuse in the same shopping center as Food Lion. The food is good, the service is decent - and the price is excellent. I have a couple of Thai friends, and this is where they go for good Thai food. It's just Thai - no sushi, no pho... just Thai. You will really love it.

Bangkok Thai
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary