Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 02:45 PM

19,493 posts, read 28,161,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
He has a valid point. Figured it was just a matter of a few posts before he got that response.

In general I have found the price of food here to be higher than any places I've lived or visited for work. Used to be only prepared food but now grocery prices are higher than my previous baseline for high prices.

Having said that, I still want to try Barone's meatball subs!
I agree - as long as you leave NYC, SF and other "economically abnormal" cities out of the equation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 03:17 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,703,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I agree - as long as you leave NYC, SF and other "economically abnormal" cities out of the equation.
For sure! I don't mind spending the money, in fact I just made reservations at Heron's for my twins' 10th birthday, but most of the time my wife and I have felt the pricing was out of line with the dining. We don't go out as much but when we do I've found it to our best interest to hit places like Sullivan's, Il Palio, or Heron's. We leave and say "that was worth it".

Old 06-20-2014, 06:14 AM

11,251 posts, read 8,404,043 times
Someone already mentioned it, but you have to compare apples to apples here. You can still get an old-school foodtruck that has $2 (good) tacos, or fairly cheap slices of "good" "NY Pizza". But you can't compare a that to a truck that is jumping on the foodie bandwagon and charging for it.

$7 for a baggettabout is about right.
$9 for a massive Porchetta on a huge, fresh baked Ciabatta role is about right.
Whatever Only Burger charges is in line with what you'd pay at chargill or cookout (and cheaper than you'd pay at Tribecca)

One of the nice things about the rodeos is it's a social gathering, and you have a lot of choices. And in general, it's cool when a food truck supports an event so they have food options, or when a local brewery can have a different menu every day to allow them to offer variety.

I don't hit them as often now that the "newness" has worn off, and partly because of the cost, but many of them are a fair price, and several are not (just like B&M's).

Old 06-20-2014, 07:58 AM

100 posts, read 111,562 times
Thank you for posting this. I had no idea!

Old 06-20-2014, 09:29 AM

282 posts, read 824,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Someone already mentioned it, but you have to compare apples to apples here. You can still get an old-school foodtruck that has $2 (good) tacos, or fairly cheap slices of "good" "NY Pizza". But you can't compare a that to a truck that is jumping on the foodie bandwagon and charging for it.

$7 for a baggettabout is about right.
$9 for a massive Porchetta on a huge, fresh baked Ciabatta role is about right.
Whatever Only Burger charges is in line with what you'd pay at chargill or cookout (and cheaper than you'd pay at Tribecca)

One of the nice things about the rodeos is it's a social gathering, and you have a lot of choices. And in general, it's cool when a food truck supports an event so they have food options, or when a local brewery can have a different menu every day to allow them to offer variety.

I don't hit them as often now that the "newness" has worn off, and partly because of the cost, but many of them are a fair price, and several are not (just like B&M's).
Food trucks have historically been cheaper than their brick & mortar counterparts. They do lack a lot of the overhead and start up costs of location, tables/chairs, cleaning, etc.

Now that food trucks has become a fad chefs are cashing in, some are enjoying the higher prices as extra profit, others are using it to build savings to later invest in a traditional restaurant space.

At the end of the day prices are dictated by what people are willing to pay as well as cost structure. Right now people are willing to pay high prices for food truck food because it is trendy.

And to anyone comparing prices to where they moved from, be cautious. Prices continue to rise due to inflation across the country. I've gone out to lunch in the area for the last 6 years and watched my average price rise from $7 to $11. Unfortunately I can no longer go out on a regular basis.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:43 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,402,017 times
Looking forward to hearing how this event goes today. My advice is always to get there earlier and avoid the longer lines that form later in the day at the most popular trucks.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:52 AM

725 posts, read 1,508,647 times
Off topic but related to Fyzbo's comment above about some chefs looking to invest in traditional spaces. What's going on with Klausie's Pizza? It was one of the "original" food trucks in the area. It looks like his site is gone and Facebook posts have stopped. Is he still operating? I thought at one point there was talk about a Klausie's restaurant opening?

Old 06-22-2014, 08:13 AM

596 posts, read 684,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiho View Post
There are other food offerings besides the stuff doled out at the "Grease trucks". Some cities such as New Haven actually have their food trucks tied to local restaurants.
I have many find memories of late nights at the grease trucks. I could actually go for a fatcat right now!

Overall I have found the new wave of food trucks to generally be a little more expensive than one might think, but they're generally putting out a really good product. The food trucks that I've been to in the NE are not that cheap. I've found the same experience in Richmond, haven't tried any in NC yet. I think someone nailed it earlier that the prices partially reflect the trendiness at the moment. The only bargain I see at the moment are the halal guys. Tough to beat a lamb/falafel rice combo for $5.

Old 06-22-2014, 08:48 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,402,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardmember10000 View Post
Off topic but related to Fyzbo's comment above about some chefs looking to invest in traditional spaces. What's going on with Klausie's Pizza? It was one of the "original" food trucks in the area. It looks like his site is gone and Facebook posts have stopped. Is he still operating? I thought at one point there was talk about a Klausie's restaurant opening?
I think they tried to open a restaurant, but couldn't get the finances lines up. Yeah... I miss that truck!

Old 06-22-2014, 11:34 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,381,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
There already is one. Sympathy for the Deli - no corned beef, but Jonathan, who operates the truck, smokes/cures/roasts his own pastrami (and all of his meats for that matter, including his bacon, turkey, roast beef, and chicken) and it's all delicious.
Sounds good to me!

Anyone eaten from this truck? NRG???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary