Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2014, 04:26 PM

250 posts, read 695,369 times

Advertisements

Today on WUNC’s The State of Things" I heard that two organizations which usually don't work together, The John Locke Foundation and NC WARN, are co-sponsoring a free, open forum titled: "The Competitive Challenges to N.C.'s Monopoly Electricity Model." It will be held tomorrow, Wed, Feb 26, 2014, 4:30-6:30 pm at the Doubletree Brownstone, 1707 Hillsborough St., Raleigh.

The John Locke Foundation’s news release states the purpose is to publicize two key concerns about NC’s electricity market:

• Consumers would benefit if NC state government would open up the electricity market to more competition.

• Consumers reap no benefit from the so-called Construction Work in Progress (CWIP) rules. CWIP allows utility companies to charge customers in advance for construction costs linked to new power plants, even if those plants never open. [One of the radio show’s participants said FL residents have already lost big money due to this rule.]

A lot of disturbing information about Duke’s operations were discussed during the show, but the thing I found most disturbing is that, if I understood correctly, at least two out-of-state companies have worked out a business model that allows them to install free solar equipment for homes, but Duke is blocking their entrance into NC. If I misunderstood, please post and I’ll edit this.

I appreciate Duke’s contribution to our lives and am not anti-Duke, but I am against some of their policies which were discussed today. I would like for Duke to change those policies to benefit consumers and to help ensure their own survival, a point that was discussed on the radio show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 04:39 PM

613 posts, read 747,102 times
Competition should have been the direction all along. The grid was paid for and is maintained by the people of NC. The grid should be opened up to anyone who wants to supply electricity to NC residents.
How about some competition in healthcare while they're at it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary