Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 02:45 PM

57 posts, read 70,728 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of relocating from the San Francisco Bay area to the Raleigh for a job near the Research Triangle. As you can guess from our moniker, we are looking for an older home. As one realtor we spoke to said, older home in Raleigh seems to mean from the 1960s. We are looking for something from the first half of last century, with unpainted woodwork, plaster walls would be nice. We very much like Arts & Crafts/Craftsman/Bungalow architecture.

We would like an established neighborhood, walkable to many amenities, reasonably active, sociable area (not bedroom community), reasonably close by car to downtown and other more expensive amenities

Having spent many years at various schools, university towns are nice but primary and secondary schools are not as important given our children's age.

As we are from the SF Bay area, it would be nice if there were yoga, pilates, coffee shops and other things nearby (ideally walkable but not far by car).

We have heard the Cameron Park might be a good place to look? What do you think? Other suggestions as to places to look?

- Phil
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 02:56 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,513,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlderHome View Post
We are thinking of relocating from the San Francisco Bay area to the Raleigh for a job near the Research Triangle. As you can guess from our moniker, we are looking for an older home. As one realtor we spoke to said, older home in Raleigh seems to mean from the 1960s. We are looking for something from the first half of last century, with unpainted woodwork, plaster walls would be nice. We very much like Arts & Crafts/Craftsman/Bungalow architecture.

We would like an established neighborhood, walkable to many amenities, reasonably active, sociable area (not bedroom community), reasonably close by car to downtown and other more expensive amenities

Having spent many years at various schools, university towns are nice but primary and secondary schools are not as important given our children's age.

As we are from the SF Bay area, it would be nice if there were yoga, pilates, coffee shops and other things nearby (ideally walkable but not far by car).

We have heard the Cameron Park might be a good place to look? What do you think? Other suggestions as to places to look?

- Phil
Cameron Park is a great place to look. Anything around Five Points would be good... Hayes Barton area. Also, Oakwood might yield good results.

Cameron Park is a sentimental favorite of mine. Very close to Cameron Village. Highly walkable.

Not cheap, though.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:10 PM

43,630 posts, read 77,845,775 times
Cameron Park is really just great.
Location, Location, Location, Location. (Say it FOUR times. ) And many interesting homes.
Many older homes, early 1900's are being lovingly updated by excited new owners.
You will not see a large inventory of For Sale Properties at any one time. It is not as large a neighborhood as 5 Points, Budleigh, Hayes Barton, etc, but it was an early 1900's desirable enclave for professionals, Doctors, Lawyers, Judges, Professors, etc.

http://www.rhdc.org/cameron-park-historic-district

http://www.rhdc.org/cameron-park-historic-district

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 02-10-2014 at 03:42 PM..

Old 02-10-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Cameron Park is really just great.
Location, Location, Location, Location. (Say it FOUR times. ) And many interesting homes.
Many older homes, early 1900's are being lovingly updated by excited new owners.
You will not see a large inventory of For Sale Properties at any one time. It is not as large a neighborhood as 5 Points, Budleigh, Hayes Barton, etc, but it was an early 1900's desirable enclave for professionals, Doctors, Lawyers, Judges, Professors, etc.

Cameron Park Historic District | Raleigh Historic Development Commission

I would move there tomorrow if I could find a sweet deal on a house.

Wanna go in on the Cameron Park Inn? I hear it's for sale.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:29 PM

43,630 posts, read 77,845,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I would move there tomorrow if I could find a sweet deal on a house.

Wanna go in on the Cameron Park Inn? I hear it's for sale.

Naaah. I want a brick rancher. Maybe there is something in Cameron Park I can scrape?

Old 02-10-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Naaah. I want a brick rancher. Maybe there is something in Cameron Park I can scrape?

Possibly... hehehe... I wonder if CP Inn will wind up being a SFH? That's a big place, if their website is accurate, and I've driven past it... prime location.

Old 02-10-2014, 04:17 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,841,793 times
As you mention, the term "older home" means different things to different people. To me, something built before about 1980 counts as "older" but to some people you'd have to go back to the 1960s, and to others anything built before they switched to super-open floor plans, granite countertops, and stainless steel appliances as the norm (early 2000s) is older.

Based on your description of what you're looking for, the term you should probably use is a historic home in a historic neighborhood.

If I were you I would look in the vicinity of the Cameron Village shopping center first. I concur with the above posters that Cameron Park is my favorite historic neighborhood. It's a reasonably quiet, leafy neighborhood, filled with beautiful historic homes. It's right in the middle between downtown, Glenwood South, NC State, Hillsborough Street, and Cameron Village with good walkability to all of the above. Coming from SF, you may find houses in this neighborhood to be affordable.

Some of the other historic neighborhoods in the Universtiy Park and Cameron Village area, or near Five Points, are great, too - further from downtown but certainly meets your criteria of close by car.

Last edited by RedZin; 02-10-2014 at 04:22 PM.. Reason: No realtor sites.

Old 02-10-2014, 04:47 PM
rfb

2,595 posts, read 6,400,844 times
Great suggestions above if you are looking to stay in the Raleigh area. I'll also throw out that Durham is convenient to RTP and has a large number of homes that might fit what you are looking for. Despite the bad press Durham occasionally gets, there are some great areas in Durham. Plus, it arguably has the best restaurants in the Triangle area, DPAC, etc.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:21 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,915,396 times
OP - compared to SF homes, in areas Mike noted are a steal. My friend bought a modest home in SF for $1M.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:34 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,053,341 times
The sad part is that there are so few of those areas in Raleigh. The OP's list was rather long and I just want to tell her that though she can find all these things, they probably won't be in the proximity of her home alone. But I agree the ones listed are good choices even if the only ones
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary