Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2014, 08:58 AM

27 posts, read 77,188 times

Advertisements

I am a single, white female, 24/yo with a full time job. I currently live in SE Durham (southpoint area) but am looking to move into Raleigh. I am still at en entry-level job so I can't afford high rent prices, i dont want to live with a roommate if i can avoid it, and i also dont want to be next to NC State around a ton of college students.

I have found a possible place to rent in Downtown, but it is in the Idlewild Neighborhood (just east of Oakwood). I LOVE the location, being able to walk/bike to downtown is a huge plus for me. But from the research I've done it seems that area at least used to be a pretty rough area. Now, I can deal with an area with character and diversity, I actually welcome it. I just want to make sure, before I move there that I'm not putting myself in a vulnerable situation being a young (and small, for that matter, 5'2") female living alone in a sketchy area. Most of the info I have found on the area is several years old though so I am wondering if the area has improved at all since then. Would I have to worry about walking home after dark alone? Getting my Apt broken into? Are there any other young professionals living in the area?

Anyone that has had RECENT experience with this area, I would appreciate any insight on what it's like today!

I plan to go see the place I'm looking at renting so I will get a feel for it then, but you can only tell so much in a 30 minute visit.

Last edited by whitmanjg; 02-05-2014 at 09:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 08:47 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,190,136 times
I know that said that you wanted to avoid NC State and the college students but do you realize that are you talking about an area, albeit with smaller numbers of students, adjacent to St. Augustine's College?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary