Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 04:42 PM

15 posts, read 34,649 times

Advertisements

Hi!
I'm going to move to Carrboro/Chapel Hill because my husband is going to be hired for a teacher position. I'm worried because I don't know if the are is safe or if there's violence. I'd also like to know if Carrboro Elementary School or FPG are good schools or if they are ghettos.
Which is the best area for renting a house/flat there?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 06:10 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,786,780 times
FPG is no longer a regular elementary school. As of the 2013/2014 school year, it will only be for students who will be in the dual language (Spanish) program. Another poster on here has a child at Carrboro Elementary and I believe he is happy with it.

There aren't really any "ghettos" in Chapel Hill or Carrboro, at least what I would call a "ghetto." There are some apartment complexes that are lower-income. There is some crime here (you can check the C-D stats on each city), but it is overall a safe place to live.

As for renting - you probably want to stay away from student housing and some of the lower-income apartments. What is your budget?

Old 05-15-2013, 09:03 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
Chapel Hill is well-known for being among the most expensive areas in the state to live. You might want to live outside of town, depending on your budget (e.g. Hillsborough, Mebane). The area in general is very safe and "ghetto" is not what you think of when you think of Chapel Hill, though every city in the world has its rougher areas.

Agreed that you don't want to live near college student apartments, of which there are a lot in Chapel Hill/Carrboro.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:02 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
"Ghetto" is not a very nice term here. I would never use it myself, as it has some racial connotations, too. Plus I always think of that Elvis song, "In the Ghetto".
Elvis Presley - In The Ghetto (Music Video) (1969) - YouTube

I have a child that goes to Carrboro Elementary. It is an older school, but we have been pretty happy there. I really like my child's 3rd grade teacher and think she's pretty great. There's a good community feel at Carrboro. It's a very diverse school population with lots of spanish-speaking Hispanic kids, African American kids, Asian kids (especially Karen/Burmese), and white kids. As in all Chapel Hill Carrboro schools the percentage of gifted children is relatively high (about 30% of kids score in the 95 percentile nationwide). Carrboro Elementary is also home to dual language classes, but has traditional classes as well.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:46 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,702,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by European123 View Post
Hi!
I'm going to move to Carrboro/Chapel Hill because my husband is going to be hired for a teacher position. I'm worried because I don't know if the are is safe or if there's violence. I'd also like to know if Carrboro Elementary School or FPG are good schools or if they are ghettos.
Thanks.
The nice thing about CH/Carrboro is that you can be in the country in ~5 minutes if you head north, south or west, and Durham if you head east.

You'll need to decide if you want to live in "downtown" Carrboro (very walkable), the burbs of CH/Carrboro or a bit farther out in the country. There are plenty of houses for rent that are removed from the university area.

If there was any area to avoid, i'd say north of Rosemary St in west CH, but other than that, there isn't really a bad area.

Old 05-17-2013, 01:35 AM

Thank you for the info.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:32 AM

7 posts, read 14,093 times
Default Rentals in Carrboro

I'm living in downtown Carrboro and love it. There are many rental town homes and apartments along Fidelity Street that tend to be more families, grad students, working professionals, etc. We see a lot of young parents walking their children to Carrboro Elementary School. Hope this helps.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:32 AM

128 posts, read 290,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by European123 View Post
Hi!
Thanks.

Chapel Hill-Carrboro is one if the nicest and most expensive places in NC. The school district here is excellent, although FPG is being converted to a magnet school, offering dual-language instruction (Spanish and English) for children from throughout the area who get a spot (selected by lottery.) That, plus the opening of a brand-new elementary school in the Northside neighborhood, means that the communty has undergone a major redistricting, to begin in the fall. It's hard to say how that will affect test scores and student progress etc. Violence is NOT a big concern here, and "ghetto" is not a word that gets applied to Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools. In fact, it's not a word that gets used much here because of the racist and negative associations.

For housing, what is your budget and what are your needs? How many bedrooms, where do you want to be/what amenities do you like, where will you be working, etc?

Do you have kids? Or are you more concerned about your husband's work at the school? If you have kids, how old? Any specific educational needs?

I have two children. One will be going to the new FPG magnet school (he's already in dual language and we love it,) the other is in preschool. We like Chapel Hill a lot, but, if we didn't have the kids, we would live in Durham which is right next door, has fun things to do and interesting restaurants, plus much lower house prices and taxes. We pay more to live here because of the schools. If you post a bit about your specific needs, we'll try to suggest some neighborhoods that might work for you.

Old 05-18-2013, 06:37 PM

Thank you very much for the answer.
I'm not worry about my husband's work at the school, my concern WAS about my kids, but the more I read about Carrboro-Chapel Hill, the more I like it.
I would like my children (5 and 7) to attend the same school where my husband will work.
For housing budget it would depend on so many things... but I suppose that maybe about 900 or 1000 $, but, the rentals I have seen are more expensive, so perhaps we have to spend more money on it. We're looking for 2 or 3 bedrooms, and maybe near the school (but not sure).
Sorry if using ghetto was inappropiated, I didn't knew it.

Old 05-18-2013, 09:25 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
I think you will like it here very much. People from all over the world live, study, research and thrive here. The diversity is what makes Chapel Hill such a wonderful place to raise children. We have a newly expanded public library which your children will love. Very little crime here and especially none in the public schools. Contact a realtor even for rental property with specific requirements.
Don't worry about the language adjustments. Just don't say "shore" when you mean "beach" and BBQ in the south is a noun not a verb. We cookout and eat BBQ!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary