Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 05:33 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,897,351 times

Advertisements

It was unloaded and locked in his car. He forgot it was there. Went to call his mom to leave and take it off campus and was expelled.

Students defend classmate expelled for gun | abc11.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 06:00 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,783,639 times
No good deed goes unpunished - he should have just left, taken it home and gone back to school and taken lunch detention or whatever the hell stupid punishment they'd hand out for being late.

I do find it amusing that he has a shotgun but no cell phone to call mom from the parking lot, but has to make the call from the office apparently in full earshot of everyone.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:08 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,298,752 times
IMO, the school reacted in EXACTLY the right way, HOWEVER in light of all the facts, they should have then reversed their decision. The right choice is to follow policy, and the policy is that there is a no exception rule about guns.

He was correctly sent home, IMO. Once they saw all the details, they should have changed his expulsion to a 2-3 day suspension, made it uncomfortable for him, but let him graduate with a basically clean record. Not punish him for life. (I'd be willing to bet, he comes out of it OK, if not better, if he handles himself well.)

Old 05-01-2013, 06:15 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,448,062 times
WCPSS: Board Policy - Weapons Prohibited On School Property (3002)

WCPSS: Board Policy - Code of Student Conduct (6410)

LEVEL IV Suspensions Required under State Law

IV 1

Firearm/ Destructive Device K-12- Any student in grades K-12 shall be suspended for 365 calendar days for bringing a firearm or destructive device onto school property or to a school-sponsored event off school property, or for possessing a firearm or destructive device on school property or at a school-sponsored event off school property. School property includes any property owned, used or leased by the Board of Education, including school buses, other vehicles and school bus stops. Principals are required to refer to the law enforcement system any student who brings a firearm or weapon to school.

Firearm: A weapon, including a starter gun, which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive; the frame or receiver of any such weapon; or any firearm muffler or firearm silencer. The term shall not include an inoperable antique firearm, a BB gun, stun gun, air rifle, or air pistol.

Destructive Device: An explosive, incendiary, or poison gas; bomb; grenade; rocket having a propellant charge of more than four ounces; missile having an explosive or incendiary charge of more than one-quarter ounce; mine; or device similar to any of the devices listed in this definition.

Violation of this section shall result in suspension from school for 365 days unless modified by the Superintendent or Board of Education on a case-by-case basis.

The 365-day suspension does not apply to any student who finds the firearm on school property or receives it from another person on school property and who delivers the weapon, immediately, to school or law enforcement authorities.

__________________________________________________ _________________________________________________

Do we really want to get into the business of determining (guessing) student motive when they have brought a firearm on campus? Let's say someone reports the weapon, and the student gets a text about it. They just run down to the office to say it was an accident and that they need to take it home. If you open that door, it's very difficult to close.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:27 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,247,610 times
My middle school kid got a weeklong suspension for bringing a multi-tool to school by accident. Was in his pocket over the weekend and he forgot to take it out. The thing was a mini-size. Knife blade was 1.5 inches long. Dinky object.

He wouldn't have gotten suspended if he had not noticed around lunchtime when he sat down to eat that something was in his pocket. His goofball friend caught a glimpse of it when my son was tucking it back into his pocket. Peer pressure. The kid let the friend see it. Friend opened it and cut his finger. Proceeded to class the next period and kept squeezing his finger to make it bleed more, waving it at the other students.

My kid was totally mortified. He's not much of an attention seeker.

Even the school counselor apologized for having to suspend my son. It was initially a long-term suspension. Happened in May, could've gone all year. They ruled that a week was plenty.

If the evidence shows that the kid really did bring the gun by accident, I'm sure it'll all get sorted out.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:31 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,298,365 times
A kid at my high school was given a long-term suspension for accidentally bringing a large hunting knife in his truck. It was seen by a bus driver or something. But it got reversed after a hearing where they determined it was accidental.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:32 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,298,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
If the evidence shows that the kid really did bring the gun by accident, I'm sure it'll all get sorted out.
^This

Old 05-01-2013, 06:45 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,422,097 times
He did the right thing and I hope it works out well for him. It's not like he had it on him, or was using it in a dangerous way.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:32 AM

3,305 posts, read 8,559,230 times
That's why Zero tolerance laws are stupid. It doesn't take into account intent or malice. What if someone jumps in front of my car on the way to work when I was speeding and could have avoided them if I was going slower. Should I get involuntary manslaughter or Capital murder charges?

Zero Tolerance laws treat the person that commits involuntary vehicular manslaughter into the person we put to death for killing a multiple people.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:44 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,934,977 times
Could you please cite an example in NC of someone getting the death penalty for the situation you describe??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary