Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2007, 08:19 AM

140 posts, read 621,918 times

Advertisements

I know I can hit Halloween express and buy something cheap in a worst case situation. I would much rather rent a better quality costume. Google only shows one place in Cary "Costumes, Wigs & Masks" but I called them and they are closed/out of business.

Any other suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 09:00 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,462,111 times
Some of the best, easy costumes I've seen lately:

Blow up purple balloons, wear purple tights and Tshirt, and go as some 'grapes.' This looked best done as a group of people who went as a cluster of grapes. Guess you could also do any of the fruits from Fruit-of-the-Loom.

Friends of ours made easy costumes with solid fabric and black felt, and went as M&Ms -- she as 'plain,' and he with peanuts. The costumes were basically bags with the M&M logo in the black felt letters. Turned out really cute.

I saw a clever costume one year that a young person made with brown, paper bag type paper, and turned herself into Mr. Potato Head. She cut and painted cardboard, and plastic, for the parts like the nose and the ears and the lips, and then added big black plastic glasses available at the Halloween or $1 stores.

With a big straw hat, some ribbon, and the right dress, you could grab a stuffed animal, preferably a duck or something, and go as Mother Goose. Make a staff with a broom handle.

One of my favorites over the years was a fellow who took First Place in a costume contest. He took baby shoe polish, white, nontoxic, and covered all the areas of his skin with it, dirtied a white sheet and tore it some to make it appear 'aged,' and made a laurel wreath for his head, but let it wilt. He added dark shadows under his eyes and on his face, and went as the 'ghost' of Caesar. Very simple, but very effective. I suppose you could go as the 'ghost' of just about anybody.

Old 10-27-2007, 09:05 AM

1,540 posts, read 5,568,818 times
There is a costume shop on Glenwood Ave where Marshalls is and Best Buy used to be. It's pretty big and they did have a big assortment. There used to be a costume shop on Hillsborough also years ago. Ok I think this is it Raleigh Creative Costumes

Good Luck,

Debbie

Old 10-27-2007, 10:28 AM

140 posts, read 621,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieF View Post
There is a costume shop on Glenwood Ave where Marshalls is and Best Buy used to be. It's pretty big and they did have a big assortment. There used to be a costume shop on Hillsborough also years ago. Ok I think this is it Raleigh Creative Costumes

Good Luck,

Debbie
Oh no, looks like they are closed too.

Old 10-27-2007, 12:41 PM

168 posts, read 1,212,934 times
My favorite (but I prefer simple) is when I cut a hole in a white sheet for my head, and put a great big circle of yellow right in the middle both in front and back. I used cake frosting but of course paint would work too. I was a fried egg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary