Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 09:07 AM

294 posts, read 829,239 times

Advertisements

At $5.00 per trip, why would anyone utilize this new road (great new road)? I've used toll roads my whole life and gladly supported the Triangle Expressway thinking the charge would be reasonable (.50 per trip) not $5.31 to go to Durham and back to Holly Springs.

Based on the lack of traffic, you may need to rethink your pricing model.

Signed,

the guy about to pay .15 per $100 on property taxes based on the BoE bond....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 09:17 AM

3,305 posts, read 8,558,628 times
$.50 round trip from Durham to Holly Springs? Holy cow that would be a deal!

I'm with you on not paying too much for toll roads, but a $5 round trip is pretty reasonable. I mean that's about 40 miles total, right? The Dulles Greenway in northern Va is like almost $5 one way for the trip from Leesburg to Chantilly (14 miles) and then you pay more to get on the Dulles toll road after that.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:27 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,245,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH2NC View Post
At $5.00 per trip, why would anyone utilize this new road (great new road)? I've used toll roads my whole life and gladly supported the Triangle Expressway thinking the charge would be reasonable (.50 per trip) not $5.31 to go to Durham and back to Holly Springs.

Based on the lack of traffic, you may need to rethink your pricing model.

Signed,

the guy about to pay .15 per $100 on property taxes based on the BoE bond....
Talk to your mayor. The transplant boom made them all sell their souls to the toll road gods.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:33 AM

101 posts, read 246,583 times
Clearly, "y'all" ain't never crossed the George Washington Bridge before. Good times.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:56 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,770,067 times
This article Jordan Bridge's owners are polling about tolls | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com from a Va paper might provide a glimmer of hope that by boycotting the new road it could result in a drop in the toll fee.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:26 AM

154 posts, read 389,468 times
For myself, I drove it a few times to figure out how much time it really saves me. (I also figured out that it's a less stressful trip than my alternate route.)

Then,
vT = value of time saved
vS = value of less stress

if (vT + vS) > toll then it's worth it to me to take the toll road.

I almost always take it in the morning because at the time I usually commute there are traffic backups and school zones on my "free" route that I can happily avoid.

But most days I will take the "free" route home, though, unless I'm running late. On the way home the toll road doesn't save as much time, and there aren't the usual backups and school zones to deal with.

flamtap

Old 03-21-2013, 12:52 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,238,608 times
I'm directionally challenged and without my GPS, not sure I could find my way out of my neighborhood!

My GPS doesn't show the new section of 540 and yesterday, I did a walk through in Apex. I drove to it the old way...540 to Williams Street, etc.

Coming home, thought I'd be smart and take the new toll road. I went North. Took me all the way past West Cary. Seems like a long route. Was I supposed to take a turn somewhere or should I have started off heading in the other direction?

Speaking of the toll, I hop on and hop off, mostly. My bills are usually $2.50 per month without the transponder. I'm debating if it is worth it to me to pay the $20 to get the transponder. Anyone have any suggestions?

No, staying off the road is NOT the suggestion I was looking for!!!

TIA! Vicki

Old 03-21-2013, 01:05 PM

3,305 posts, read 8,558,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I'm directionally challenged and without my GPS, not sure I could find my way out of my neighborhood!

My GPS doesn't show the new section of 540 and yesterday, I did a walk through in Apex. I drove to it the old way...540 to Williams Street, etc.

Coming home, thought I'd be smart and take the new toll road. I went North. Took me all the way past West Cary. Seems like a long route. Was I supposed to take a turn somewhere or should I have started off heading in the other direction?

Speaking of the toll, I hop on and hop off, mostly. My bills are usually $2.50 per month without the transponder. I'm debating if it is worth it to me to pay the $20 to get the transponder. Anyone have any suggestions?

No, staying off the road is NOT the suggestion I was looking for!!!

TIA! Vicki
Now Vicki, why would you go all the way down to Apex for a walk through?

Don't shell out $20 for a transponder unless you plan on doing some heavy toll road driving in other states. Get the sticker version for NC only. I think I paid $4.80 for each of the ones we put on our cars. It'll save you $4.80 in a short time period. FYI from West Apex (southwest of Beaver Creek) to the Leesville Rd. exit in NW Raleigh it takes me 20 minutes. That's at least good 15 minute savings over taking 55, and more during rush hour.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:18 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,238,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
Now Vicki, why would you go all the way down to Apex for a walk through?

Don't shell out $20 for a transponder unless you plan on doing some heavy toll road driving in other states. Get the sticker version for NC only. I think I paid $4.80 for each of the ones we put on our cars. It'll save you $4.80 in a short time period. FYI from West Apex (southwest of Beaver Creek) to the Leesville Rd. exit in NW Raleigh it takes me 20 minutes. That's at least good 15 minute savings over taking 55, and more during rush hour.
LOL...I went to Apex because I am dedicated to my clients!!!

So...when I left Apex, did I get on the right ramp...going north? And...was I to take an exit before I got to Leesville Road? I was the only one on that side of the highway!!! I just FELT I had to be doing something wrong!

I didn't see the $4.80 sticker online...searching now...

Vicki

Old 03-21-2013, 01:49 PM

464 posts, read 1,043,782 times
OR you can go through the Massachussetts EZPass site and get a hard transponder for free, only loading your account up with an initial $20. Free is better then $4.80 in my opinion AND allows one to travel on the toll roads in any EZPass state on the off chance that will happen one day. There is a link here on C-D about going that route if you wanted to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary