Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2013, 02:19 PM

6 posts, read 10,582 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We're recent Triangle transplants and are looking for a new home in the North Raleigh area. We've been looking mostly north of 540 between Creedmoor and Six Forks Rds, though also towards Leesville area. Our ideal home would have about 4 BDRs and sit on an acre and would be at or under about $500K. Good schools are very important, too. We really like the Stonebridge neighborhood - the age and style of the homes, the neighborhood amenities, and the size of the lots. Are there other neighborhoods like Stonebridge that are out there that folks would recommend we check out?

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 01:10 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,353,806 times
Can you provide a bit more about what you like in Stonebridge? Is it the lot size, the trees, or is it the "style" of house that was being built when the neighborhood was established? What amenities are you looking for? Stonebridge also went through a lot of phases, so the age and style of homes likely differs depending on where inside the neighborhood you are looking.

If it is larger (approximately 1 acre) wooded lots, then that is usually easy to find in the Falls Lake watershed. While a lot of the newer neighborhoods are outside your price range, there are some good ones with resales that fall in your general price range. Right now the inventory in many is low, but that is going to change as Spring nears.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:05 PM

357 posts, read 1,383,158 times
If you expand your search a little bit to the west to Leesville Rd. area there is Wood Valley near the intersection of Norwood/Ray roads that in my opinion is a lot like Stonebridge.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:12 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,236,574 times
Parts of Stonehenge also have large lots. Crosswinds is very similar to Stonebridge but less brick. Ehtan's Glen has large lots and newer homes and there are a few homes still under $500K. It may be a bit further than you wanted to go but in that area around Hwy. 98 are lots of newer neighborhoods with acre lots.

Boulder Creek and Bartons Creek Bluffs!

Vicki

Old 01-29-2013, 07:42 PM

Thanks so much everyone! Very helpful. rfb, we really like the fact that the lots are larger (acre plus) and private but there's still a sense of neighborhood. I also like some of the more traditional brick homes in that neighborhood, as well as the amenities (pool, park for kids, ball fields, etc.).

What I'm really having a hard time getting a handle on are the schools in that part of N. Raleigh. Are they generally good schools? I really like the area but am wondering if, whether on a whole, the schools are as "competitive" so to speak, with others in Wake County, say in Cary? I know that's a very relative and subjective question...

Old 01-29-2013, 09:07 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,236,574 times
All 4 of my kids graduated from Sanderson HS. It doesn't have the higher scores of Green Hope HS but many of the same teachers that taught my oldest son also taught my youngest daughter. However, my kids were in honors classes so they were not with base population. Older daughter graduated from Carolina and younger daughter is currently at NCSU.

Check the school scores but be warned, they don't tell the whole story. I think you'll have to visit some of the schools to better educate yourself.

Vicki

Old 01-30-2013, 06:55 AM

Thank you Vicki! I think that is very well said (and received!). Good advice. Will definitely do that. Sounds like the schools in the Falls Lake watershed, north of 540, and in N. Raleigh generally have a good community reputation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary