Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 05:04 PM

22 posts, read 60,597 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are likely relocating to the Durham/Raleigh area this spring. We're self-employed so finding a job isn't an issue, we do however need fast internet and a reasonable commute to the airport. Reasonable is anything under an hour.

We're 50ish, kids are in college so school districts aren't an issue. What we would like is a lot of at least 1/4 acre with fruit trees and room for a good sized vegetable garden and green house. Maybe even a few chickens. I've heard that some HOAs require you to ask there permission for things like a compost heap, to me that's absurd, definitely want to avoid that.

As for the house, something around 2400 square feet, older construction is fine, and at a price under 325K.

Would really appreciate any suggestions of areas to look at. Duke Forest seems promising as does North Durham near Eno.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 05:14 PM

13,399 posts, read 27,372,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badhiker View Post
Would really appreciate any suggestions of areas to look at. Duke Forest seems promising as does North Durham near Eno.
Try Butner and Creedmore (Granville County) and look for a lot without too many trees. There's a Cape on South Elm Street in Creedmore with 6.5 acres where they allow horses and chickens; it has a lot of cleared land for a garden.

Last edited by goldenage1; 01-14-2012 at 05:31 PM..

Old 01-14-2012, 07:02 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,202,519 times
I would think the houses in the Duke Forest area would have too much shade for real gardening.

My parents bought their house off of Leesville Road and filled their half acre with fig, peach, pear, pomegranate, and apple trees. I usually bum fruit off them in the summer. Anyway, I think the trick is just finding a lot that doesn't have too much shade and doesn't have a HOA that restricts chickens. Also don't bother looking at houses in Cary since they still haven't amended their chicken law though hopefully that will happen soon!

Old 01-14-2012, 08:13 PM

43,630 posts, read 77,845,775 times
I also thought of Leesville area.
Springdale Estates and Springdale Gardens, with the trick being to find open lots for gardening among the heavily wooded neighborhood.
Their are older neighborhoods all across N Raleigh with large lots and fewer restrictions.
Chickens are something to check in any neighborhood. Even if there is no HOA, there may be covenants restricting chickens.

Might also want to consider unincorporated Wake County south of Raleigh.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:51 PM

Thanks for the advice, will check those areas out.

As for the chickens, that's not a deal breaker for us, more of an idle idea, but we definitely do want fruit trees and a good veggie garden.

My original idea was to be around Durham for access to that town and also Chapel Hill. We enjoy fine dining and cultural stuff, also independent bookstores, cool cafes, etc., so assume that being closer to the universities might be better for that. I have the idea that north Raleigh is the land of cookie cutter neighborhoods, minivans and chain restaurants, nothing wrong with that, it's just not where we are in life right now. If my assumptions are wrong, please let me know!

Old 01-15-2012, 08:47 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,202,519 times
I think it's usually in the spring but I recommend going on Raleigh's Tour d Coop. You can see lots of urban chickens, beautiful veggie plots, and get a feel of various neighborhoods all in one afternoon. It's a lot of fun.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
I think it's usually in the spring but I recommend going on Raleigh's Tour d Coop. You can see lots of urban chickens, beautiful veggie plots, and get a feel of various neighborhoods all in one afternoon. It's a lot of fun.
Thanks, that looks like a fun day out. Definitely seem like my type of people too, a good veggie plot, sustainability, and not being too far from town.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:33 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,988,098 times
I'd look in the rural buffer zone north of Chapel Hill (more or less bracketed by I-85/I-40 and 15-501. Lots of affordable homes on acre plus lots in this area, due to restrictions on extending city services (ie...septic requires bigger lots). Predominantly Orange country with a little of western Durham mixed in. Will put you under 30 min to airport, and 5-15 min to duke/unc. Most homes in this area are on heavily treed lots, but there will be a good smattering of lots that get sunshine, and lots of neighbors have chickens.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:48 AM

28 posts, read 54,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post

Eva! You are just an endless source of valuable information!!!! I will make sure to plan a trip for one of my visits to Raleigh on that exact weekend.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:55 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,263,888 times
My son just moved to Knightdale in a new subdivision I think in the 180 range but fully equipped.

Nice diverse neighbor group. He likes it.

Knightdale is a more economical area than many and services are ramping up.

We still love our apt on Capital Blvd but we're in a different stage of life than him and his wife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary