Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 10:07 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,426,685 times

Advertisements

We are moving in a week, and stuck on who we should use for tv service. We are getting TWC for internet (Uverse is not available).

TWC 15mbps internet and one HDDVR is $118 for the promo period, and then goes up to about $145 after.

TWC 15mbps is $45 for promo
Dish is $25 for 12 months, then $50 after that.

For those that have Dish, am I being naive to think my bill will stay around $50-$60 after the 12 months have expired? We are looking at the Americas top 120 here Satellite TV Packages & Programming | DISH

If you have the Hopper how do you like it? We will probably add one joey to get service in another room, which is another $7 a month.

Most of what we watch is on broadcasting, but there are other channels as well. Sports and movie channels are not important, which is why we want this package. My gripe about dish is signing a contract. I hate being stuck with service if it turns out to be terrible. However the Hopper is appealing, because on some days there are 2-3 shows we want to record at once. A normal dvr only has two tuners so it's limited on what it can do. A whole home dvr with twc is a lot of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 10:13 AM

5,746 posts, read 17,621,052 times
We signed up for Dish about 5 years ago when we moved into hour house. We have the America's Top 20, with the HD channels and the DVR, and we pay about $80/month. No pay movie channels or anything else.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
We signed up for Dish about 5 years ago when we moved into hour house. We have the America's Top 20, with the HD channels and the DVR, and we pay about $80/month. No pay movie channels or anything else.

How is it so expensive? Their site says $49.99 everyday low price. This is what's keeping me from going with Dish, because there are so many people online who say they raised their rates really high. If we want to leave then we are stuck paying an etf.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:35 AM

545 posts, read 1,606,991 times
That online price does not include DVR. That costs extra.

I have the middle package (Top 250 I think???), just a regular receiver from when i signed up way back over 10 years ago (not hooked up to an HDTV), no DVR service, no monthly maintenance fee. My bill is $63 and change including taxes. I believe the service is 59.99, rest is taxes.

Dish is good about not raising rates very often. When they do raise rates across the board, it's usually every 2 or 3 years, and they will say it's locked in for x amount of time. When you sign up, it's a 2 yr contract, and you get the cheap reduced price for the first year; second year is regular price. If you sign up for paperless billing and auto pay, I believe you get Free HD Channels for Life. That's the deal my mother got when we switched her over a little over a year ago.

I will say that if one rain drop falls from the sky, my service will go out. Then before the rain even stops, it will come back on - very strange!

I like my Dish. However, I've got to make a reduction in my monthly expenses, so I'm afraid that Dish will be the first to go.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:37 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,489,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
How is it so expensive? Their site says $49.99 everyday low price. This is what's keeping me from going with Dish, because there are so many people online who say they raised their rates really high. If we want to leave then we are stuck paying an etf.
I have Dish. Signed up in August 2010. It was, IIRC, 19.99 for 12 months then 44.99 for the remainder of the contract (12 more months). They recently raised their rates $5 to go into effect in Feb or something. Five dollars...really not that much to write home about. This was the first rate increase since 2010 when I signed up. I planned on canceling it after the 2 year mark then signing up under my wife's name as a new customer to get the reduced price yet again, but just haven't got around to it.

So far we've been happy. We too have the free HD. Although it is just for one receiver. If the second receiver is close to the first one that gets HD you will get "semi" HD so for us it's not worth paying the additional fee for another HD receiver.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straitlover View Post
That online price does not include DVR. That costs extra.

I have the middle package (Top 250 I think???), just a regular receiver from when i signed up way back over 10 years ago (not hooked up to an HDTV), no DVR service, no monthly maintenance fee. My bill is $63 and change including taxes. I believe the service is 59.99, rest is taxes.

Dish is good about not raising rates very often. When they do raise rates across the board, it's usually every 2 or 3 years, and they will say it's locked in for x amount of time. When you sign up, it's a 2 yr contract, and you get the cheap reduced price for the first year; second year is regular price. If you sign up for paperless billing and auto pay, I believe you get Free HD Channels for Life. That's the deal my mother got when we switched her over a little over a year ago.

I will say that if one rain drop falls from the sky, my service will go out. Then before the rain even stops, it will come back on - very strange!

I like my Dish. However, I've got to make a reduction in my monthly expenses, so I'm afraid that Dish will be the first to go.
Their site says free hopper, so I would assume they shouldn't charge extra for it. The hopper is their new whole home dvr. They charge extra for joeys ($7 per month each) if you need to hook up tv's to the hopper.

I don't mind a $5 increase here and there, but I would expect the price to be around $50-$60 once the promo ends. If the service is good then i'm okay with that. The horror stories I hear is prices have gone up to $80+ a month, and trying to get is resolved can be a nightmare.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:45 AM

5,746 posts, read 17,621,052 times
Quote:
Well, I guess if the monthly fee is $50, then add $10/month for HD, then another $10/month for the DVR, and I think we have the monthly maintenance (not sure why. . . .but I do call them a few times a year for tech support, and we did have a receiver die on us once), so that's probably another $5/month. That's $75 + tax, which is about $80. I don't have my bill in front of me, so can't itemize the cost for you.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:50 AM

I found this online.

Quote:
Hopper and Joey is free when you order DISH's popular America's Top 120 programming package or higher. If you choose a smaller channel package, it's only $99 to upgrade. The monthly fees for the Hopper and Joey system are $7 for each Joey plus the $10 per month whole-home DVR fee. There is no monthly charge for the Hopper, your primary receiver.
It sounds like they do not charge me for the dvr itself, but their is a monthly fee with it. That makes sense. This brings the cost closer to TWC now.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:51 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,489,188 times
Quote:
Their site says free hopper, so I would assume they shouldn't charge extra for it. The hopper is their new whole home dvr. They charge extra for joeys ($7 per month each) if you need to hook up tv's to the hopper.

I don't mind a $5 increase here and there, but I would expect the price to be around $50-$60 once the promo ends. If the service is good then i'm okay with that. The horror stories I hear is prices have gone up to $80+ a month, and trying to get is resolved can be a nightmare.
They won't add anything on to your bill except that mx fee which you call and get canceled before it expires. I think it's free for 6 months. Knock on wood ours has been good. It just covers the equipment failure, not actual usage and reception issues.

Although I think I did opt out of any "free" channels automatically added, I don't know how that works, I can't remember if they just started charging you or not. But I can say that my bill hasn't gone up yet, although it's supposed to go up $5 in the next month or so.

Keep in mind, just like people angry at banks for overcharges, fees, etc, you are dealing with the (stupid) public.

Despite what they say about uptime, in the summer when a storm comes from the west you will lose reception. Just an FYI. Doesn't happen all the time but it will.

TWC will seriously jack your rate up, my internet went from $20/month to $55 a month overnight. I hate them.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:04 AM

Here are the prices I got with taxes. $46.64 for 12 months and $71.64 after which is for the hopper and one joey. It's still cheaper than TWC so I might go this route. I might order through satellite solutions since they give $75 back and their live chat gave me prices in two minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary