Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 10:31 AM

774 posts, read 1,859,776 times

Advertisements

Just in case City-Data doesn't allow that link...
Here are some examples of what I'm looking for and why the Franklinton house appealed to me.

Trouble is, if you look at the picture of the kitchen, you'll see that:
  • The room is shifting ... downwards
  • And it's full of Asbestos
  • And the foundation is bad.

I'd love the land and all I could do with it... but like goldenage1 said, I'm not rich enough to buy it and build a new house on it too. I don't even know what that would cost.

Last edited by veganwriter; 01-21-2013 at 10:33 AM.. Reason: I don't see the pictures?

Old 01-21-2013, 11:15 AM

13,378 posts, read 27,105,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post
I'd love the land and all I could do with it...
The acreage sound great, and you can't beat the property taxes of only $800/year. The suburbs are advancing toward Franklinton, and houses like that can be bought up by developers.

I wish you luck. Renting in Durham sounds like a good plan, and gives you a chance to explore the area. BTW, a relative of mine bought an older house in Creedmore or Butner, a fixer-upper with much more space than a new house.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:39 AM

Default Yeah!

Yeah goldenage1... I think I like the older homes more than the newer ones!

(By the way, good to chat with you again... long time.)

I was just sorry to read about the Asbestos. That's a deal breaker for me. Otherwise, I could be putzing around that little place for years... inside and out. (Eight acres!) I spotted another one.. huge house... I think it was on two acres... but it had no clear access road and it had been empty for so long that it looked like a new forest was well on it's way of growing up around it. The house had only been built in the 60s... but nature stops for no one. And I think people had stolen the copper out of it. It was dirt cheap, but too many issues can lead to a financial train wreak ... wiring stripped from the walls .... kids kicking in dry wall isn't so bad.. but plumbing, electrical and foundation are real potential problems.

I'm also looking at the size and number of large trees around a house.

I like that there are trees... but too close to an old house might mean problems with a high storm.
I don't know what you think about this... you may have some insight or experience?

I'm thinking about the cost of having a service come out and cut them down. Is it worth it? I could cut smaller trees down, but a huge one coming down... well... I never took a lumber jack class so there's no guarantee where that puppy would land or what it would take out ... or if I had the equipment to move logs that size once it fell. ((lol))

I don't think heating and air are as big of a deal as they used to be.
Pellet and wood stoves look good!
And the new air conditioners that cool individual rooms but don't require being window mounted are cheap compared to a system that cools the entire house.

I guess a realtor and housing inspector will give me more info as the time approaches.
Thanks for hollaring goldenage1

Old 01-21-2013, 01:57 PM

80 posts, read 343,530 times
I work pretty close to there and know Franklinton semi well (Live in Youngsville). Comments I can make:

I want to be just outside of a city or town.

You are just outside of the town of Franklinton. But what are you specifically looking for. There is a couple small conv marts close to there. About 5 min away you can get to the US1/56 interchange for a couple of restaurants, fast food, food lion, autozone, etc. Downtown Franklinton is attempting to revitalize, but there are limited business there.

I want to be close enough to drive comfortably to Home Depot or Lowes for supplies but far enough away to miss the drama. (I'm just plain burnt out on unnecessary "Drama.")

You will need to go 15 minutes south on US1 to get to both Lowes or Home Depot (Or Target, 3 min further south for Walmart). There is also an Ace Hardware at US1/56 in Franklinton, that can often have what you need

I love Permaculture and Hugelkulture ... and I just "need" to putz around the yard doing stuff.
I love to fix up a place... the house as well as gardens, trees, hedges... all of it. Lots of ideas running through my head.
I used to be a Military Dog Handler so I want to fence in some large dogs and maybe even give them a few goats to guard.
I want to raise some free-rang chickens and maybe a few turkeys... so maybe an unincorporated area or an Ag Zoned area.

Can't comment here as I don't know the zoning there, but in general not an issue around Franklinton....

I am also tired of "Thug Kulture" ( ) so I don't want to listen to no, "Beats" ( ) when I'm trying to relax with a book. (So please, I hope no one personalizes my questions or comments because I'm just TIRED of both extremes of stupidity... and yes, I spent 16 years working in the Social Service trenches so I know addiction and substance abuse knows to borders nor economic barriers.)

If you are serious about that specific house I will go take a better look, but I think you are fine there. River road does get some traffic and I am sure you will hear someone's radio at some point.

Read more: https://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...#ixzz2Ie4Mrgee

Old 01-21-2013, 06:14 PM

Default No point...

Thank you so much dba4life .... but with the Asbestos being reported in the house and I believe the realtor site says, the foundation(??), then it's a no-go.

I can see why it's been on the market for so long. Living a prolonged period in a house with Asbestos in it is a asking for death by cancer. It's suicide.

Plus, the house seems to be shifting... sagging on its foundation. (Hope you can see the picture of the kitchen. The cabinets are slopping downwards.

But can I thank you for your kindness anyway?

Old 01-21-2013, 06:50 PM

Default Oh ... and that radio...

I'm 59 and will be 60 this summer.
Increasingly I FEEL like crusty old "Mr. Wilson" inside.
Just once, I'd LOVE to yell out: "GET OFF MY LAWN!!" ((lol))

But seriously... a radio passing by or even going by slowly in traffic wouldn't be bad. It's just feeling under- siege by one that's coming from the neighbors next door.

Traffic on River Road, eh?
Thanks for the info.
I'll keep looking.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:05 PM

848 posts, read 1,122,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post
I spotted a couple of nice houses and I'd like to know more about the town.
City-Data showed that some pretty good professional athletes have come from Franklinton.
I also scanned the types of crime and noted there seems to be a high number of assaults.

The two together give me the impression that perhaps guys in Franklinton are ... proud of their ability to fight? Maybe a high level of ego?

I'm only trying to get an impression of the area because I read various post by women who seemed to love the place... but nothing about how the men experience the place... especially since the mill closed.

What about drugs and alcohol?
Those two kind of rise when people have nothing but time on their hands.

How's agriculture fairing in Franklinton?
Are there any trends other than, "Business as usual"?

And would someone please speak to the comments that were posted about KKK meeting signs
being posted in the area? What part of town is more active, and what influence does the Klan have in Franklinton and the area?
Yes. Franklin County is not a good place for Progressive thinkers.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:33 AM

875 posts, read 1,163,826 times
What about near Amherst/Lynchburg, VA? Land is pretty cheap there and you can live in the mountains if you really wanted to.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:22 AM

Default Thanks for the suggestion

I'm researching both right now!

Old 01-23-2013, 08:25 AM

810 posts, read 1,451,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
Yes. Franklin County is not a good place for Progressive thinkers.
Progressive thinkers don't cotton to no disagreement.

S

PS It's actually true. Ask Match.com. They have a lot of data. Or, ask a human who gets around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary