Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 05:26 PM

436 posts, read 671,591 times

Advertisements

I'm on my ex's cell plan with Sprint. Thought there were several more months before I could switch to my own plan but just was told we can do it later in the week. I've never had my own plan so the ins and outs are all new too me. I thought I would have longer to educate myself...

Since the contract is not up I'm assuming I have to stay with Sprint or incur a penalty? My landline & internet are through AT&T. If I am free to keep the number and go elsewhere I suspect I may be able to get a better deal through bundling with AT&T.

If you have AT&T cell service how has your experience been? How is reception in the Triangle? I'm also interested in reception on I-95 from I-40 south to I-10.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 06:39 AM

1,509 posts, read 2,430,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat_link View Post
I'm on my ex's cell plan with Sprint. Thought there were several more months before I could switch to my own plan but just was told we can do it later in the week. I've never had my own plan so the ins and outs are all new too me. I thought I would have longer to educate myself...

Since the contract is not up I'm assuming I have to stay with Sprint or incur a penalty? My landline & internet are through AT&T. If I am free to keep the number and go elsewhere I suspect I may be able to get a better deal through bundling with AT&T.

If you have AT&T cell service how has your experience been? How is reception in the Triangle? I'm also interested in reception on I-95 from I-40 south to I-10.

Thanks!
I can't comment on AT&T's service since I don't have it, but in regards to your contract, yes, if it's not up, an early termination fee would apply. There's a nifty calculator at Early Termination Fees for Cell Phone Contract where you can put in your contract end date and it will tell you what your early termination fee would be. Note, however, that depending on when you signed your contract with Sprint, a different early termination agreement may apply - the calculator page shows whether and how that may effect you.

You can take your old number with you as they are portable - just remember that you need to start your AT&T contract first BEFORE you close out your Sprint one so the number can come along - otherwise AT&T will have to assign you a new number.

In regards to your coverage questions the first place to take a look might be AT&T's coverage viewer - again though since I don't have firsthand experience with AT&T (I'm a current Sprint customer thinking about jumping to Verizon) I can't directly comment on service coverage - still I hope this helped some!

Old 01-08-2013, 12:01 PM

436 posts, read 671,591 times
Thanks so much! The site with the cancellation calculator was incredibly helpful!

Old 01-08-2013, 12:26 PM

464 posts, read 1,044,696 times
AT&T service is great here. WAY better then Sprint service, so I would go for it. AT&T also lets you use the web / data while you talk on the phone, which is something that Verizon doesnt do at this time.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:11 PM

11,227 posts, read 8,317,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmasek73 View Post
AT&T service is great here. WAY better then Sprint service, so I would go for it. AT&T also lets you use the web / data while you talk on the phone, which is something that Verizon doesnt do at this time.
Couple things:
1. Sprint lets you talk and surf too. I do it on my android Galaxy IIS all the time
B. My experience is that Sprint is better than ATT, but Verizon is better than both
3. Check with your provider about what the penalties actually are. If you are divorcing, and that is the reason to come off of your "ex's" plan, then it might be a qualifying event that allows you to avoid the charges. I doubt it, but it might be.

Also, and this is big. Do a little research on pre-paid plans. Cricket, Virgin, WalMart and several others all have unlimited talk/text/data plans for around $50-55/month. Esepecially if you are in cities and near major highways, the coverage is likely adequate. You'd have to buy your own phone, but the prices justify it, bigtime. My "ex" uses one of those plans, and loves it. Saves a lot of money and has good coverage (they all run off of the major carriers networks, but with little to no free roaming, I think...)

Anyway, check out the pre-paids, they are a great option. (and you can port your number)

Old 01-08-2013, 03:08 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,425,308 times
FYI Sprint is installing 4g LTE to Raleigh in 2013. I have been with SPrint for along time. It is cheaper than ATT or Verizon, but their 3g speeds can be slower. I don't feel Verizon or ATT is good enough to justify the cost increase.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:14 PM

43,347 posts, read 77,209,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
FYI Sprint is installing 4g LTE to Raleigh in 2013. I have been with SPrint for along time. It is cheaper than ATT or Verizon, but their 3g speeds can be slower. I don't feel Verizon or ATT is good enough to justify the cost increase.
I think that Sprint has bumped up their 3G performance over the last couple of months with an ongoing upgrade prior to kicking in 4G LTE. I am getting voice and data in spots that had been dead, and generally a bit quicker data than I did in August/September.
Maybe Jelly Bean gets the credit? I dunno.

I ride around with a Verizon Motorola Xoom with 4G LTE and my Sprint Galaxy S3 without 4G and the Xoom will catch emails earlier and load sites quicker, but the S3 is not terribly far behind and often just as quick.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:01 PM

119 posts, read 318,703 times
Default ATT versus Sprint versus Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post

I agree with Bpobill. I have been with Sprint a long time and have experienced them going to utter horrible service to excellent service. My contract is up and I am shopping for my next cell phone. Sprint's costs are so much more reasonable. And comparing their cost/benefits to those of ATT and Verizon, I'm sticking with Sprint.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:51 AM

464 posts, read 1,044,696 times
I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder if you think Sprint is better then AT&T. It may also depend on where you are when making these comparisons. I see in my building in RTP that people have to walk to the windows and stand on one leg to get a signal or make a call on their Sprint phones, while I have 4 bars on my iPhone.

I have never had an issue getting a signal anywhere except on some mountain roads on my AT&T phone in many places I have traveled throughout this world.

If you are going to travel around the world and want to use your phone it would be good to invest in a good GSM phone technology like AT&T and Tmobile have, as most of the world has abandoned CDMA that Verizon and Sprint use. Just one thing to consider, but if you are someone without a passport who never leaves your county then sticking with the prepaid/cheaper alternatives might work for you.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:00 PM

1,509 posts, read 2,430,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmasek73 View Post
I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder if you think Sprint is better then AT&T. It may also depend on where you are when making these comparisons. I see in my building in RTP that people have to walk to the windows and stand on one leg to get a signal or make a call on their Sprint phones, while I have 4 bars on my iPhone.

I have never had an issue getting a signal anywhere except on some mountain roads on my AT&T phone in many places I have traveled throughout this world.

If you are going to travel around the world and want to use your phone it would be good to invest in a good GSM phone technology like AT&T and Tmobile have, as most of the world has abandoned CDMA that Verizon and Sprint use. Just one thing to consider, but if you are someone without a passport who never leaves your county then sticking with the prepaid/cheaper alternatives might work for you.
Or invest in a phone on Verizon and Sprint that's a world phone. I know the new HTC Droid DNA on Verizon is SIM unlocked with GSM and CDMA radios, so all you have to do is pop in a local SIM card and voila.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary