Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 05:13 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,106,328 times

Advertisements

We are going to downsize in a few years, sooner if WCPSS doesn't stop screwing around (ok, it will be sooner). We'll have one kid out of the house and another well into high school, the third finishing middle school. We are thinking of doing a major shift nto focus on a small home in a well-established neighborhood with lots ofm mature trees. I am in Morrisville now and would prefer to stay, or stay close by. My vision was a small 3/2 with a good size basement as a rec room/movie room, etc. $250k max. Basements seem to be nonexistent in this range/area, and I wondered if my searches are done wrong or if there just isn't much. When we bought our current home we wanted a basement as well and found some but in a higher price range.

Should I bag the basement idea and look for a house with a good sized bonus room instead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 05:51 PM

9,159 posts, read 14,860,178 times
There are some basement homes in Breckenridge but they are rare here in general due to soil conditions. Mostly basements are walk outs on sloped lots. Sloped lots generally need to be bigger lots. Bigger lots are of course more expensive and therefore need more expensive houses to make money.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:02 PM

248 posts, read 756,681 times
A lot of houses built prior to the 60s have basements. We moved down the street from Morrisville to Durham. and that was one of the criterior's and we are in that price range. We actually update from our 1934 model house in Morrisville to a 1960 house in Durham (county.) The new house has a full basement including a fallout shelter (complete cement room including ceiling.)

Old 12-06-2012, 08:15 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,193,834 times
I agree with andyselec. My childhood home was built in the 70s, and it seems like EVERYBODY had a basement back then. Even tiny houses in mediocre neighborhoods. That's why I never understood why they fell out of favor and all of a sudden folks started saying things like "the soil isn't right". But many older homes in older neighborhoods have basements

Old 12-07-2012, 05:24 AM

22,766 posts, read 37,079,627 times
I remember that when we were looking Dogwood Ridge in Apex had some houses with basements. THose might be bigger than what you're looking for though. I do think you will have better luck looking in areas with older home stock.

I searched a local RE website and found a few in Apex in your price range; one in Villages of Apex and one in Holland's Crossing. There are others too can't remember which subdivisions, in your range. In Cary I see quite a few in your price range - Northwoods, Silverton, Harmony, Cary Park, The Battery, Oxxford Hunt...again, I think the size of some of these houses may be more than you want.

Last edited by twingles; 12-07-2012 at 05:36 AM..

Old 12-07-2012, 05:43 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,106,328 times
Thanks, all. I will continue to look older. I definitely want a well-established neighborhood. I love our n'hood now but when the kids start to move out I want to go to something with more trees, hills, etc. I have worries about things in the area I don't know about--for example, the siding that everyone talks about that was a disaster--don't want that. The pipes....agh! Our houses have either been brand new or 80+ years old

I don't have a basement as a must-have, it's just one of those things we've looked for since we lived in MA for 3 years over a decade ago.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:47 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,190,094 times
Personally basements creep me out. We had one when I lived in NJ and it always looked like a scene from a horror movie. Maybe other people felt the same way around here (plus cheap land) so developers focused on building up and out rather than including a basement in newer homes?

Old 12-07-2012, 07:00 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,450,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
Personally basements creep me out. We had one when I lived in NJ and it always looked like a scene from a horror movie. Maybe other people felt the same way around here (plus cheap land) so developers focused on building up and out rather than including a basement in newer homes?
I'm not too fond of basements myself. My house now has a basement. The one we are buying has a walk up attic. I find those preferable. So bright and airy.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:04 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,644,769 times
Back in '94 when we were house-hunting....Waterford Green in Apex was one of the few new (new at that time) developments where some of the houses had basements. It wasn't a majority of the houses, but there were about 3 or 4 under construction at the time that had them and were about the size and would probably now be right around the price you are looking.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:13 AM

22,766 posts, read 37,079,627 times
I know, I couldn't wait to leave my basement behind. And at some point, you will start to get water intrusion. Might be after 25 years or it might be after 75 years (that's how old our house was when it finally happened) - but it's gonna happen. And while that's fixable, it's a pain to deal with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary