Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2010, 03:08 PM

72 posts, read 309,562 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My hubby and I are seriously considering a move to the area within the next few months. (We're currently living in Dallas.) Instead of buying right away, we'd like to rent a home for a year or two.

What are the best rental websites to check regularly? I'm familiar with realtor.com and hotpads.com, but wondered if there was a local real estate company that dealt heavily in rentals.

Also, are there any realtors you've had good experiences with? I may take a quick trip out to scout the area and would love to meet up with a realtor/management company that can show me a few properties. If anyone has a recommendation, I'd love to hear it.

We have a three-year-old and one on the way (due in June), so being in a home as opposed to an apartment/condo is important to us.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 10:13 AM

68 posts, read 153,372 times
We are also moving to the area in the next few months from Phoenix. In addition to the web pages you listed, I check Craigslist and one other.. PM me and I will look it up and send it to you and also the name of an awesome Realtor we have been working with since November. He is amazing and knowledgeable and knows that we, also, will probably not buy for a year or two.

Old 03-25-2010, 02:09 PM

862 posts, read 3,549,606 times
Try raleighrent.com and caryrent.com in addition to CL. Also to mention try doing a search for .com, etc. on CL rental housing section and you may be able to find some property management company listings and websites.

Oh, here's another: Moderator cut: Links to real estate properties/sites are not allowed, per the Terms of Service

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 03-25-2010 at 06:21 PM..

Old 03-29-2010, 05:51 AM

33 posts, read 47,304 times
Your work locations will determine, generally, what part of Raleigh makes sense for you to live in, although people here do drive great distances for some strange reason.

If you draw a straight line in the middle of Raleigh, going North & South, the nicest parts of Raleigh are on the left side (NW & N) between Glenwood Avenue and Captial Boulverd and mostly outside the Beltline (I-440) and in around Zip codes 27609, 27615, 27612.
There are some nice areas inside the Beltline but they can be more expensive.
Cary is nice too, 27511, 27513 as is Wake Forest and areas outside the 1-540 but with these areas,. you will be getting more and more remote, with less and less services/facilities, etc.

There are some nice pockets in the West (27606), but you will be near NC State University and properties in this area for rent are generally of lower quaility (as they are catering mainly for the student market) nosier/grubbier looking areas and of course, the area is subject to the well known antics of students.
East and South Raleigh are not so nice and if you work on the left side of town or RTP, you may have a horrible and lengthy journey to work.

The apartment complexes here however will most likely be more proactive in keeping contact with you, but be warned, there are only a handful of apartment complexes that have very good or high levels of ratings and approvals from current or ex-tenants.
I would recommend that you visit apartmentratings.com to check out any apartments if you are considering this avenue.

Let me know if you need any other info.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 04-01-2010 at 10:43 AM.. Reason: Deleted rude comments

Old 03-31-2010, 07:39 PM

6 posts, read 9,711 times
Hello! I actually have a home we will be renting in Holly Springs in the June-July time frame. When we list we will probably list on Raleigh rent and Craigslist. I have heard these are the best sites to list on but I would love to hear feedback from the users of these sites.
Thanks!

Old 03-31-2010, 07:57 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Most Real Estate Agents are not property managers and therefore, don't work with tenants.

Some of the newer agents will have time to call property management firms and help you find rentals but most Agents are licensed and work with buyers and sellers. I understand that this is different in other areas.

Vicki

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 04-01-2010 at 10:44 AM.. Reason: Edited out response to another poster's deleted comment.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:37 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,584,421 times
I will have to echo meadows statement. We found we had to hound agents, and I actually had to call one of their bosses to get a response. It's just a preview of the level of service you will get if you sign a lease with property management agents.

I did find that most of the craiglist listings were more responsive.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:01 AM

251 posts, read 515,230 times
We rented a home downtown in Oakwood for about 9 months while our home in VA was on the market. Our home sold, hence why we rented for less than a year and we have since bought a home in Apex but I do know that the home we rented is for rent/sale currently. It's in a great location, if your husband is working downtown. I can give you info if you like. It's an old home and has a tiny yard but the neighbors are great as is the neighborhood.

Last edited by hgoodwin39; 04-01-2010 at 11:05 AM.. Reason: just looked at the realtor's website and it has been rented...sorry!!!!

Old 04-06-2010, 02:03 PM

14 posts, read 28,055 times
mom2one, i sent you a friend request, we are in the same boat! i am moving june1st, have a 2 year old AND a 3 month old, looking for same thing. maybe we can help eachother!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary