Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2012, 09:34 AM

9 posts, read 42,927 times

Advertisements

Moving to Raleigh--planning on renting for a year before buying. Found a house in Brookgreen subdivision in Cary--anyone have any information about the neighborhood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 10:00 AM

924 posts, read 2,110,380 times
What sort of information are you looking for? Statistical data for any neighborhood are readily available on city-data and elsewhere online, of course. I've never lived in Brookgreen, but I have done work at a few houses there over the years, and it seems to me to be pretty much what it appears: a pleasant, quiet, kind of boring neighborhood populated by the usual mix of Cary-type people, except skewing a little more towards renters (such as you, possibly, for instance), older folks, and young married couples buying their first house. The houses and lots in Brookgreen are clearly a bit smaller and less upscale than in most of the newer Cary sprawl—particularly in the older, southern section of Brookgreen, distinct from the newer "Brookgreen Forest" portion to the north—and that can be either a good thing, a bad thing, both, or neither, depending on your perspective and what you're looking for. What are your criteria or what are you looking for in a neighborhood to rent in? My anecdotal experience there, both from the people I was working for and their neighbors, was that people were very nice and friendly, and in fact perhaps a little more open and less uptight than in other Cary neighborhoods where I've been, possibly because of the very fact of it being a bit less fancy and expensive. But those were also very limited firsthand experiences with small sample sizes, so maybe not representative of the community as a whole.

Last edited by tompope; 12-01-2012 at 10:38 AM..

Old 12-01-2012, 10:23 AM

22,736 posts, read 36,984,293 times
I never heard of it so I looked it up - agree with pp, what info are you looking for? The area is fine. Pretty close to the YMCA, shopping nearby etc.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:28 PM

4,268 posts, read 11,456,761 times
A co-worker of mine recently moved out of Brookgreen and purchased a house in Macarthur. Her main complaints with Brookgreen:
1. Several people in neighborhood did not keep up their properties.
2. Not too many kids her children's ages (9 and 11).

Old 12-01-2012, 12:45 PM

43,506 posts, read 77,499,749 times
It really is a good location to get your feet on the ground in Cary in a rental while you explore the area, or for first time buyer home.
There are quite a few rentals.
Affordable housing that provides rental cash flow attracts investor/landlords, and that is seldom a good thing for overall property values and appeal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary