Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 08:10 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,107,301 times

Advertisements

We're looking for corn-syrup-free blueberry jam made locally.

We used to get it at the farmer's market, but they were made to stop selling it because they didn't make it themselves or something. (That's what they told us.)

We've also bought it through The Produce Box, which was fine, but we'd rather just go and buy a case or two directly from the people who make it. We don't always need the weekly veggies, and The Produce Box prefers selling the jam as an add-on.

Does anyone know of any vendor anywhere who sells corn-syrup-free blueberry jam locally? (Preferably in Raleigh or surrounding area.)

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 09:07 AM

2,275 posts, read 6,312,606 times
There are a couple of vendors at the Wake Forest farmers market who sell blueberry jam, but I don't know if they still have it; it may be out of season. Otherwise, you might be able to get some at Whole Foods if you can't find a local vendor who still has it.

Old 10-27-2012, 10:00 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,425,770 times
Whole foods is great about carrying local products. They don't allow hfcs, but they do allow some products with corn syrup. I have yet to see it in their jelly though. The only issue is it's probably going to cost at least $5 for a small jar. Blueberries are not in season, but the companies who made it should still have stock of it from earlier in the year. If you can live without local, Amazon has a good selection of jam and a big portion of them are 4 ingredients or less.

Old 10-27-2012, 10:23 AM

826 posts, read 1,934,348 times
1) Plan weekend trip to Asheville to get Blueberry jam/preserves from Tupelo Honey cafe. Insanely addicting.

2) I know this is not really what you asked for but what I think of with jamq have been getting mine from The Produce Box and they were selling cases but I hear what you mean about not needing weekly veggies.

3) Found this site based in Durham. They might not have blueberry jam anymore but you never know! They are local though and have a jam subscription!
This & That Jam

Old 10-27-2012, 10:27 AM

826 posts, read 1,934,348 times
Another link with ideas - seller in Boylan Heights makes blackberry blueberry jam.

Kick out the jams | Dish | Indy Week

I gotta stop doing these searches on my phone. Takes too long.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:49 AM

13,375 posts, read 27,089,174 times
It isn't local, but Smuckers makes Simply Fruit products without corn syrup. I've used them when I see them in the supermarket. Web site: Blueberry | Jam, Jelly, & Preserves | Smucker's Products | Smucker's

WalMart sells it or you can order online.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:18 PM

533 posts, read 1,200,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mskb View Post
1) Plan weekend trip to Asheville to get Blueberry jam/preserves from Tupelo Honey cafe. Insanely addicting.
OMG, that stuff is amazing. You can order it from them on-line, which I'm planning to do right now. Thanks for the reminder.

http://shop.tupelohoneycafe.com/coll...lueberry-jam-1

Old 10-27-2012, 12:49 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,425,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
It isn't local, but Smuckers makes Simply Fruit products without corn syrup. I've used them when I see them in the supermarket. Web site: Blueberry | Jam, Jelly, & Preserves | Smucker's Products | Smucker's

WalMart sells it or you can order online.
FRUIT SYRUP, BLUEBERRIES, LEMON JUICE CONCENTRATE, FRUIT PECTIN, NATURAL FLAVORS.

I think the OP is better off buying something local. They wont have fruit syrup or natural flavors. I do not like the term natural flavors, because it can mean so many different things.

Jam should be fruit, sugar, lemon juice (citric acid), and pectin. Even some of the homemade stuff doesn't have pectin. I never use it when I make mine and it turns out really good. A little runnier than store bought delicious. OP let us know if you find anything local, because once I move I will be buying some too

Old 10-27-2012, 02:27 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,107,301 times
Thank you for all your replies! (If anyone has more, I'd be glad to hear them.)

We actually went out today to search for the jam in Wake Forest on Claire_F's suggestion. It was about noon by the time we got there -- too bad I didn't see on the website, that I did check, that it closes at noon.

There was not much activity downtown except the construction workers on the street -- and a couple of cute guitar players in front of a restaurant who seemed to be serenading the construction workers since no one else was around.

It was nice driving around anyway, and we visited the Wake Forest Walmart which was exploding with Halloweenish goods -- and lots of people. Every time I go to Wake Forest, I'm shocked at how populated it has become since I moved here. Teeming with people, cars, new homes, new businesses! It used to be so quiet. It feels more "city" than "town" in many spots.

We will try the Wake Forest farmers' market again soon, and we'll try all your suggestions.

Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_F View Post
There are a couple of vendors at the Wake Forest farmers market who sell blueberry jam, but I don't know if they still have it; it may be out of season. Otherwise, you might be able to get some at Whole Foods if you can't find a local vendor who still has it.

Old 10-27-2012, 02:49 PM

257 posts, read 1,015,440 times
there is a woman who sells produce & preserved in North Durham (not too far south of Bahama). I got some v. good blueberry preserves (whole fruit) from her a couple of weeks ago. I can check if she still has it when she comes again this Wed. Let me know if you'd like me to check. or, is N. Durham too far for you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary