Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 05:21 PM

8 posts, read 48,025 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I suffered from a bad case of seasonal affective disorder (SAD) for 5 years when I lived in the northeast and midwest - basically unable to function from Oct to March. It's a seasonal depression that is brought on by reduced exposure to sunlight and cold temperatures. Since then, I've lived in AZ and southern CA and have not had problems. We're considering either moving to the Bay Area of California or to Raleigh NC for our work. Do any of you live in these areas and have SAD? How hard is it to live with SAD in these places?
How grey and cold are these areas?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 06:06 PM

1,124 posts, read 1,717,779 times
Lived in the Bay area for a while and its not easy there- lots of microclimates that can contain TONS of foggy, gray days with damp yukky "feel". Would not recommend unless you are VERY careful about where you choose to live...Daly City is definitely OUT!
Anywhere in the US will have some gray days, and even here you will encounter periods of overcast in the mid-winter and early spring on occasion, but they don't generally go on for weeks/months on end as they do in the midwest - I can't tell you how much I detest Ohio and Indiana for the winter weather- and usually they end with a few days of absolutely glorious weather that includes those beautiful crisp blue skies that will just make your spirit soar.
Given the choice between the Bay Area and Raleigh, I vote for Raleigh hands down and without reservation. You couldn't pay us enough to go back to the SF area.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:10 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,181,999 times
I suspect I have it...it seems over the past few years, I develop CRUSHING depression beginning in December, and letting up when spring breaks. The weather here in winter is not as cloudy or cold as many places...perhaps it varies from person to person.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:27 PM

5 posts, read 22,205 times
Compare the numbers between where you are located and where you're considering going for these two things

1. How many hours' difference is it between the number of hours of daylight on the shortest day of the year (Dec. 21) and the longest (June 21)? The bigger that number, the harder the winter period will be for you. In Raleigh there are 9 hours, 44 minutes of daylight on Dec. 21 and 14 hours, 35 minutes of daylight on June 21.

That's a difference of 5 hours. If that's similar to where you're coming from, then that shouldn't affect you much.

Sunrise and Sunset Calculator is a good calculator for determining day length.

2. Number of sunny days per year. This number could vary a lot within one state. This could be the number that makes a big difference to you, considering where you're coming from.

Cloudiness - Mean Number of Days

I moved from Florida to North Carolina and it triggered massive SAD symptoms for me. Big difference and it took 7 years for me to learn how to adjust. I've done it, but it was pretty rough for a while.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:27 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,826,711 times
I've lived here 30 years and I only remember feeling blue about the long winter about once.

Old 10-25-2012, 07:19 PM

826 posts, read 1,933,298 times
Moved from Michigan and Ohio and was stunned by the beauty and brightness of the Carolina Blue skies when I came to visit and then live. I don't have SAD but certainly it is a lot sunnier and brighter here than in the midwest and I was thrilled with the several sunny and 70 degree days in Dec and Jan our first winter here. It's late Oct here and we are having 80 degree days (cooling off next week to the 60's but still with some sun). I'm sure not as sunny as AZ or SoCal though. I do notice, though, that days seem shorter to me since I lived on the western edge of the Eastern time zone before so we'd get those lingering summer days. If you are coming from CA, you would probably notice the difference.

If you pick your area in the Bay Area wisely, you might get more consistent weather - isn't the East Bay generally warmer and sunnier than the city?

Old 10-25-2012, 07:52 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,344,672 times
It bothers me from December through February, then it starts getting nice in March. We do have some really nice days sprinkled in though. Our winters have been very unpredictable the last few years, so one winter could be quite rough and the next very mild like last years. Regardless, we have mostly sunny skies.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:41 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,015,803 times
I have a mild SAD in the winter.

It seems here that we have enough warm sunny days sprinkled throughout the winter
to combat it. I can soak in some sunshine in February and it feels like I have taken a happy pill
immediately..

Do the special lights help with SAD..

I don't know how the area would be for severe SAD

Old 10-25-2012, 09:17 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,344,694 times
I sometimes have seasonal depression, but I don't know that it's sunlight related. I also hate cold weather, so that can make me feel pretty yucky. I just suck it up and deal. Got kids, got stuff that has to get done, but boy do I have more energy in the summer. I do take vitamin D, though. I have been tested and am a little low even in summer, so I definitely supplement through the winter and I think it does help. I will always be a summer person, though.

NC winters are very erratic. You can have a sunny 70 degree day in January or a bitter cold day that doesn't get above freezing or a snowstorm or ice storm, or a rainy 39 degrees (the worst IMO). Whatever it is, it usually doesn't last that long and is something different the next week.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:22 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fair weather cumulus View Post
Hi,

I suffered from a bad case of seasonal affective disorder (SAD) for 5 years when I lived in the northeast and midwest - basically unable to function from Oct to March. It's a seasonal depression that is brought on by reduced exposure to sunlight and cold temperatures. Since then, I've lived in AZ and southern CA and have not had problems. We're considering either moving to the Bay Area of California or to Raleigh NC for our work. Do any of you live in these areas and have SAD? How hard is it to live with SAD in these places?
How grey and cold are these areas?

Thanks!
I have never heard of anyone in NC suffering from SAD!

I just don't see how it would be possible with over 200 days a year of sunshine.

They don't call'em "Carolina Blue Skies" for nothing

Annual Days of Sunshine in North Carolina - Current Results

Good luck with your decision on where to move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary