Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 07:12 PM

43 posts, read 98,802 times

Advertisements

She had heard from a friend from South Carolina that teacher hours were normal school hours 8-3 or 3:30 but that they had involuntary but really voluntary after hours until 5pm or later. She wanted to know from the teachers in the wake county or surrounding areas what the job hours really were? Is overtime expected etc...?

Thank You for any insights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 07:27 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,321,446 times
Yes. Overtime is expected.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:35 PM

Can anyone compare teaching in the NYC system vs Wake County or Surrounding towns? What are the hours?

Thanks

Old 10-03-2012, 09:16 PM

317 posts, read 827,633 times
Your wife heard correctly. My wife used to teach in Wake Co. She would spend all day in a trailer with a bunch of 7 and 8 year olds w/o a teacher assistant. I only mention that because the lack of a TA usually meant she had to hold her **** until lunch, which she got to do on her 10 minute lunch break. After she was done teaching in the afternoon, her principal would schedule numerous parent meetings for her, where the principal would sit and listen to the parents put my wife down. Oh and when she got home, she finally had time to lesson plan and grade papers. She was a great teacher.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:26 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,663,573 times
Here's a site you can look up prospective employers:

Wake County Public Schools Reviews | Glassdoor

Old 10-04-2012, 05:39 AM

22,695 posts, read 36,880,576 times
Welcome to a non-union state.

Teachers at our school help their kindrgarten and first grade students get their lunch, eat in the cafeteria, clean up spills, watch the kids at recess, and run carpool.

Our school hours are 7:35-2:05 and I went back to the school the other day with my child as she forgot something. Her teacher was still there at 4 p.m. I heard from another mom that she's often there that late. At our school classrooms open 30 minutes before the opening bell. Our parking lot closes at 6:45 so they actually have to be there by then.

My sister's school gets out at 3:45 and she usually gets home around 5.

In short, teachers down here work a lot harder than their NY counterparts do (IMHO)...especially factoring in the money. No rubber room here either. If your wife goes nuts, she's done

Old 10-04-2012, 06:32 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,484,610 times
It doesn't matter what the hours are. Expect many hours at night grading papers and preparing lesson plans. It does depend on the grade and subject, as well as the resources of the school (are there assistants? are the teachers given a decent amount of planning time during school hours?) but generally speaking the first few years it is not unusual to work the equivalent of two full-time jobs. Once you know what you're doing it gets easier.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:47 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,166,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
In short, teachers down here work a lot harder than their NY counterparts do (IMHO)...especially factoring in the money. No rubber room here either. If your wife goes nuts, she's done
Yep! Pittance pay, long hours, and little worker protection is why I got out of teaching! I do miss teaching sometimes but I don't miss the other aspects of the job AT ALL!

Old 10-04-2012, 08:39 AM

Thank you for the insight. She has been a teacher in the NYC system for 12+ years. We were just wondering whether it was worth it or not to teach down here. Seems like less pay, less security and more hours. Maybe its a good time to try a new career. That's my thinking but i know how teachers are, they love the kids or some nonsense like that. I would never hack it as a teacher

Old 10-04-2012, 09:12 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,484,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaysideJR View Post
Thank you for the insight. She has been a teacher in the NYC system for 12+ years. We were just wondering whether it was worth it or not to teach down here. Seems like less pay, less security and more hours. Maybe its a good time to try a new career. That's my thinking but i know how teachers are, they love the kids or some nonsense like that. I would never hack it as a teacher
Oh, I thought she was going into teaching as a new career. Disregard my comments, then. I don't know anything about the county public schools. There are always private schools, though. I know they attract many teachers because of the increased quality of life. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary