Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2009, 09:08 AM

633 posts, read 1,166,033 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My husband and I (and our children) are going to be relocating to NC from STaten Island New York. We came down a week ago and visited Wake Forest and North Raleigh. We looked at homes in Heritage, Bowling Green, and North Raleigh. What we saw, we were smitten with. I am an RN and my husband is a cop, so we both have to find employment there. However, we are coming down in July to see more. Hopefully, if I am able to correspond with others here, I might learn some important information about where to look there for a home, what the people are like, the schools, etc. How the quality of life is, how you really like living there; or if you don't, the reasons why.
We live in STaten Island NY which is one of the 5 borough of NYC. Although we live in a "nice" middle class neighborhood, it isn't what it seems. We moved in 3 years ago and I have only "met" two neighbors, basically "hi" and "bye" that is the extent of it. There aren't any children playing outside at any time. I have 2 little girls ages 4 and 5 and I take them out for walks but there aren't any other children out (even though I know some of the homes have children thier ages!). There is a HUGE drug epidemic here amongst youth and middle class adults. Prescription drug abuse and marijuan abuse is really bad. We sit on our yard and have to smell marijuana, open our bedroom windows at night and often get wiffs of it. More days than not now do I find empty dime bags blown onto my well manicured lawn!! This is not the type of environment I want to raise my family in. Its hard because my parents and my sister and her husband and 2 kids live here, but my sister and brother in law are making the trip to NC with us this July because they are interested in relocating for the same reasons, and my parents have said that if we all move there, they will follow!
Here in Staten Island the grammer schools are very good, it's the HS where there is no discipline whatsoever.....overcrowding, etc. Schools are important too wherever we relocate to.
So, if there is anyone out there in Wake Forest, N.Raleigh, Durham, Youngsville, and other surrounding areas that would like to sare and corresponding with this New Yorker, please drop me a line!!
Thanks in advance and have a great day!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 10:49 AM

4 posts, read 7,111 times
my wife and I ( and 3 kids ) are also thinking of moving to Wake county. We have decided to put off our move until the school situation settles down. There are 2 major issues from what I have gathered. There is the case in front of the supreme court that concerns forced year round schools versus traditional schools. That case may be settled quickly. The other issue which apparently has many people in an uproar is the isssue of Redistricting. You can research that one. Information on redisticting can be found everywhere on the internet. Good Luck

Old 04-28-2009, 12:39 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,044,042 times
I have lived in the triangle since I was three, and now live in wake forest. I have been in wake forest for 4 years. Feel free to send me a direct message if you have questions, etc. I have two girls, ages 5 and 7. The 5 year old is starting kindergarten in july.

Good luck!

Leigh

Old 04-28-2009, 07:36 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,765,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazan1217 View Post
my wife and I ( and 3 kids ) are also thinking of moving to Wake county. We have decided to put off our move until the school situation settles down. There are 2 major issues from what I have gathered. There is the case in front of the supreme court that concerns forced year round schools versus traditional schools. That case may be settled quickly. The other issue which apparently has many people in an uproar is the isssue of Redistricting. You can research that one. Information on redisticting can be found everywhere on the internet. Good Luck
If you are waiting for the redistricting issue to "settle down" then you might be waiting until your kids are in college.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:11 PM

12 posts, read 11,836 times
I moved to Wake Forest from Miami about 3 years ago and it's night and day! This is wonderful. The people are friendly, housing is not as expensive as it is in Miami,and very little traffic unless u work in the RTP area. Now since the cost of living is less I have found the salaries are not as high. I too was a police officer in Miami and if I were to start over here I would be making 40% less than I was. Needeless to say I haven't. All in all it's a wonderful place to live!

Old 05-24-2009, 02:13 PM

191 posts, read 666,471 times
I was just looking at homes online in wake forest as well. Its funny because my mother lives in Staten Island and she and I will be moving there, if I decide to go. I have a son who is 11 and I am glad you mentioned about school issues in NY . I guess thats out. Let me know what you find out on your trip. For me being in san diego it will be colder but my son wants to experience the 4 seasons.

please keep in touch
Debbie

Old 05-24-2009, 02:42 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,187,571 times
Nobody's hiring much now even in nursing and law enforcement, Also, the salaries in your fields might negate any cheaper housing you find here.

I'd work on the job issue before getting too deep into scouting out neighborhoods.

Old 05-24-2009, 04:15 PM

633 posts, read 1,166,033 times
How did your mom wind up on STaten Island?

Old 05-25-2009, 05:33 PM

16 posts, read 34,641 times
Default hi SINY2NC

Hi SINY2NC,
I read your post and found a few similarities in our situation. My wife and I live in Queens, NY and we are thinking of a move to NC and the Raleigh area. My wife is in the medical field and I work for the city. As you, we are going to Raleigh in July on a research and information gathering trip.
I would be interested in what you think of the area. Do you know where you would be staying in Raleigh? I wish you all the best.
J&B
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary