Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 09:12 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,416,906 times

Advertisements

It's a difficult decision because there are a lot of dedicated tub people. I've lived in a couple of houses with jacuzzi tubs and they got used, but not by me.

I find a decent shower more critical to my peace of mind and daily life. My preference would be a very large walk-in shower with no doors and a seat inside. I don't like to be cramped up in a shower. Also, add a really great drenching shower head and make sure it's a hand-held one for cleaning the shower.

I think if your choice is an average shower and an average tub, or a large high-end shower, the high-end shower is going to appeal to more people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 09:52 AM

19,447 posts, read 27,876,065 times
We actually considered this renovation in our last home. Where we NEVER ONCE used the garden tub. I asked a realtor and her answer was "I've had clients insist on having a tub in the master, but I've never had a client insist on NOT having a tub in the master." since we suspected we might not be living in that house for 10+ years, we left it alone.

Good thing, as it turned out. The buyers insisted on a master with tub.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:02 AM

460 posts, read 1,018,530 times
I want....a garden tub...and a larger shower...... ;-). Wouldn't it be nice hehe

Old 09-28-2012, 10:07 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,263,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
We actually considered this renovation in our last home. Where we NEVER ONCE used the garden tub. I asked a realtor and her answer was "I've had clients insist on having a tub in the master, but I've never had a client insist on NOT having a tub in the master." since we suspected we might not be living in that house for 10+ years, we left it alone.

Good thing, as it turned out. The buyers insisted on a master with tub.
Good answer!!!

Vicki

Old 09-28-2012, 11:47 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,656,048 times
I can only speak for myself.

I don't use the tub often, but when I do I sure am glad I have a big bathtub.

Winter...colds...congestion...etc...just my two cents.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:09 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,292,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarberryPl View Post
I am a big fan of bubble baths, so I wouldn't buy a house without a bathtub in the master. I would consider a house where the secondary bathrooms had really nice showers instead of small, ugly tubs.

Recently, we considered putting our house on the market. Our realtor told us people would not consider our house because of the brass trim on the shower. He suggested we spend $1200 replacing it. Seriously.

Now, I don't like brass....but it's ridiculous to think it would be a deal killer. Especially in a high quality built house. It's kind of bizarre to me that people would look a replaceable "features" as a primary reason to buy/not buy a house.

People can be very shallow regarding home buying.

Whatever happened to quality materials, quality construction, and location being primary buying features?
It's not a deal killer, but if someone down the street from you has a house for sale with upgraded bath fixtures and no brass for the same price as your house, you're going to get passed over.

And, fwiw? I'd have to be IN LOVE with a house to buy one full of brass. I don't think the shower enclosure and sinks would be agonizing to swap out, but a tub? You'd have to rip out the tile enclosure.

No. Thanks.

It's even more amusing when people have all brass and 1998 wallpaper and want the same top-dollar selling price as their neighbors down the street with oiled bronze/brushed nickel and freshly painted walls.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:10 PM

71 posts, read 180,725 times
I actually would insist on not having one when we buy our next house(as long as there is another somewhere else-I dont care what floor), but it would not be a deal breaker, bathrooms arent where I spend alot of time(I am a girl, but kitchens are way more important to me). I hate cleaning and all it would do is just be something else to dust for me. I would want a doorless large walk in shower. We would put that in ours if our bathroom was larger.

Old 09-28-2012, 02:44 PM

257 posts, read 491,810 times
When we were looking at new homes in HS and Apex, I thought it was odd that master tub was an option in master bathroom in one community. It's been 20 years since we bought a new home and master tub is a standard feature. When I asked why it's optional, the salesperson indicated that's one way to keep the cost down for buyers that don't care to have a tub. So, in the model home, there was a sitting bench between the dual sinks. The shower stall was standard size and super sizing it was not an option. I think it was at least over 1k to add it as an option.

btw, the fireplace was an option as well.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:02 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,562,063 times
If you have a tub in another bath, by all means put the best walk in shower you can afford in the master ! There is nothing nicer than a spa type shower; and you don't have to spend a fortune. Love the rainfall shower heads, and special glazing on the tiles and well sealed grout, so easy to clean. Also ask your contractor for at least one built in seat in a corner, and a few built in "shelves" for shampoo and so forth. A shower that takes up all the room the tub took up is a good size; just say "no" to narrow showers please (no matter what age you are)

Updated baths and kitchens are what the lady wants, and the ladies are usually the decision makers.

Nothing worse than lingering in a bath as the water cools down, and having only bathtubs in a house says "dated".

Old 09-28-2012, 03:05 PM

315 posts, read 767,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islander03 View Post
btw, the fireplace was an option as well.

We've never looked at a new home that came with a fire place. They were always an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary