Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 01:53 PM

5 posts, read 21,385 times

Advertisements

We will be ripping out our shower in order to repair a leak and of course will need to put another back in. Our contractor suggested that we remove the garden tub and replace the whole thing with a larger shower. He advised that his clients have been taking out their garden tubs and replacing with higher-end showers. While we like the idea, I'm consider the future and resale of this house.

We have a second bathroon that has a standard tub which we will be keeping.

Will potential buyers shy away from a home that doesn't have a tub in the master bath?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 02:09 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,962,429 times
As a potential buyer, what would matter to me are:

1. How does the bathroom configuration look/work without the tub? It might be one thing for a space that was never designed for it, but if the room ends up having a "hole" in it by the absence of the tub (too much unused space), it might turn me off.

2. All things being equal, the absence of a tub is a small negative - but if you invest in a very high end shower setup (nice tiles, walk in/door-less, multiple spray heads and fancy controls, etc. that might more than offset the minor negative.

3. But, a high end shower in an average bathroom would be an oddball mix, so if you're going to do the high-end shower thing, you'd have to do the whole bathroom upscale.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:13 PM

34,128 posts, read 83,117,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafox View Post
Our contractor suggested that we remove the garden tub and replace the whole thing with a larger shower.
So long as the main bathroom has a tub and that is on the same floor...
I'm with the contractor.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:21 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,273,915 times
I'm seeing homes being built without a tub in the master. The "theory" is that as we get older, the tub is harder to get into and therefore, a larger shower is preferred.

However, I still find that I have buyers that want a large tub in the master.

If the n'hood is more of an empty nest n'hood, just a shower is fine. If it isn't, then it is 50% want the tub and 50% don't.

Hard to know what the future holds but it is good to consider re sale.

Vicki

Old 09-27-2012, 02:33 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,312,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I'm seeing homes being built without a tub in the master. The "theory" is that as we get older, the tub is harder to get into and therefore, a larger shower is preferred.

However, I still find that I have buyers that want a large tub in the master.

If the n'hood is more of an empty nest n'hood, just a shower is fine. If it isn't, then it is 50% want the tub and 50% don't.

Hard to know what the future holds but it is good to consider re sale.

Vicki
Agreed.

I wouldn't buy another home without a tub in the master bathroom.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:50 PM

27 posts, read 54,042 times
When we redid our house we took the tub out out of the Master Bath and did a giant walk-in shower (no glass or doors) with multiple heads, nice tile, etc. We didn't care about resale value, but we do have two other bathrooms with tubs on the same floor so if someone had to take a bath they could use one of those.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:18 PM

1,277 posts, read 3,551,716 times
I went the other direction -- having a tub in the master but only a shower in the 2nd bathroom not a tub/shower.

I did this because my kids hate showering in tub/shower things and always ended up in our shower only stall.

so, we are building a house, and are giving them a very large shower with no tub, but keeping a tub in the MBR on the premise that all mom's I talk to end up bathing their kids in the mbr anyway.

on resale, we'll be one of those weird houses...but i just don't care at this point as long as it fits our needs for the next 4-8 years.

:-)

So I say, to heck with it -- do what you want. but that is where I am now. Listen to the real experts!

In any event, I wouldn't go with a whirlpool tub as folks seem to be ripping them out in favor of lovely large tubs without icky/leaky/whirlpool/maintenance nightmares...and a chandelier over the tub.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:42 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,192,390 times
I wouldn't consider a house without a tub in the master as it is unlikely the hall bath's tub is deep enough for a good soak. When we had this house built this year, we had the builder replace the shallow tub in the master with a very deep tub (no jets, ick). We use it regularly and love it. My elderly inlaws have a soaking tub and don't use it out of fear of not being able to get out of it once in.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:01 PM

13,378 posts, read 27,101,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncsmomndad View Post
I wouldn't consider a house without a tub in the master
I'm part of the other 50% who never use the tub in the master. I find soaking distasteful, and would rather have a high-end shower with a sitting area.

I'd even rather replace the tub with more closet space.

If small kids need to be bathed in a tub, there should be one in the hall or kids area.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:03 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,921,154 times
It's a great question; I'm in sort of the same boat. A friend pulled his master bath tub and put in a larger shower and it looks awesome - really has me this close to ripping my tub out.

Unfortunately our bathroom layout would not be as easy to convert.

We've been in this house about 5 years and I can count the number of times we've used that tub on one hand. There's a tub in the other upstairs bathroom.

I think if I had a stack of cash sitting around I would have done it by now, the tiny shower is annoying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary