Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 10:06 AM
T|K T|K started this thread

892 posts, read 2,500,193 times

Advertisements

I have been debating on going back to school for my MBA. Have people in the triangle that have gone back for their MBA found it valuable in their career? I have looked at quite a few schools and like Campbell's program, but their accreditation isn't one of the most common ones, and I have also looked at ECU (online MBA program), and also UNC/NCSU. I know UNC and NCSU are going to be more well known for their programs, but do employers care as much about that or just want to see that you do have an MBA from a good university?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 11:03 AM

502 posts, read 1,656,892 times
I'm a graduate of Meredith's MBA program (and no, it's not just for women). It allowed me to continue to work full-time and had small class sizes. It has definitely helped me in my career. In fact after starting new a job a few years back my manager told me I beat out internal candidates largely because I was the only one with an MBA.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:39 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,973,249 times
I'd really have to question the value relative to the cost. I see MBAs giving the biggest boost to people who are in financial management positions (corporate finance, not banking finance). It might offer some edge over others, and provide more ability to advance, but I don't know if those advantages are significant.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:43 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,169,142 times
I have a couple of friends who have gotten their MBA and it really seems to depend what your career is in if it's worth it. The friends I have who went and got the MBA just for the sake of a grad degree have found it hasn't really helped them at all. The friends who were working at mid-level management positions, etc, it has helped. Several of them have said to me not to do an online MBA because half of the point of attending an MBA program is networking face-to-face with people.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:56 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,593,441 times
My dear wife has her's from a ranked school with MBA program. It's helped her out quite a bit, large corps will have HR rules that will require such degrees for certain positions (I am sure there are exceptions). You have to want to climb up the corp ladder and crush those who oppose you to make the most of those types of degrees. Good luck!

I will also give my generic opinion with online colleges, when I see one on a resume it gets a deep discount, same with strip mail schools. When all you do are write papers and take online tests where you can google every answer it leaves the door open for people to skate through the program, which is why they opt for such easy paths to a degree to begin with. When you have to invest time, go to a class room, pay attention, sit through proctored exams, meet with your groups in the library to get projects done, put in real effort it's more rewarding.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:24 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,864,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
ISeveral of them have said to me not to do an online MBA because half of the point of attending an MBA program is networking face-to-face with people.
Yes--I can't imagine how an online MBA would provide the most valuable elements of an advanced business education--learning to network, resolve differences, negotiate, and deal with politics. Those have to be done in person. Avoid online programs, unless you just want to start in one to get your accounting, econ, etc out of the way but then transfer to a more real-life program.

UNC does have an "Executive MBA" program that's only on the weekends, but I hear the price tag is sky-high...of course, I hear that about any MBA program.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:51 PM

502 posts, read 1,656,892 times
Good points mentioned here. FWIW, I'm in a mid-level management financial role and advancing faster than friends and colleagues with online MBA degrees. But of course that could be partially due to my winning personality.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:11 PM
T|K T|K started this thread

892 posts, read 2,500,193 times
Definitely some good points made. In my line of work, it seems that all most of the upper level jobs that I hope to move up to, all are MBA grads.

Campbell has a really attractive in person program, but the accreditation is not a national one (Campbell has Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges vs AACSB at UNC, ECU, State, Meredith, etc). I know when I did recruiting we did not look at some schools nearly as highly.

Executive MBA at UNC
$74,300 for Evening -Includes tuition, texts, socials and immersion weekend accommodations
$91,225 for Weekend MBA -Includes tuition, texts, socials, overnight accommodations and most meals

Or you can go to another school for anywhere from 20-40k.

Last edited by T|K; 09-06-2012 at 02:23 PM..

Old 09-06-2012, 10:10 PM

51 posts, read 112,417 times
If you want to leave the state or advance at a big international corporation in the state, the big schools are worth the money.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:27 PM

839 posts, read 2,530,154 times
I looked into the MBA program at NCSU about a year ago. From what I understand, they have certain curriculum's that are specific to certain businesses, with employers helping provide information on skills they need. From an outsider trying to learn about the program, it sure sounded like they had employers heavily involved and most likely to offer positions to graduates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary