Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2012, 09:48 AM

3 posts, read 4,662 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering moving from Phoenix. She is a younger opera singer who has built a great reputation for teaching people how to sing (and sound good, in a healthy manner) and accomplish their goals (regional and all-state qualifiers, sound great at Karaoke night, etc.). Out here there is one HS that dominates that choir/ arts field and if you don't live in the area, parents will not drive to you (adult students drive 30 miles!). What about in the Triangle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 10:22 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,155,524 times
Enloe is an arts magnet school but that means students are coming from all over the county. I know that at one point Leesville High had a very good choral program and I would assume it still does I just don't keep up with it these days.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:15 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,688,749 times
This is a strange question. How does the strength of a school program impact the potential need for voice lessons? Either the school teacher is good and provides all needed instruction OR in order to remain competitive within that program you need outside lessons. You are only talking about 100 or so chorus participants in one school...at best only a handful will want voice lessons. Would that be enough to sustain a vocal coach?

Look at the map of raleigh...there are quite a few high schools within a reasonable driving distance, and many students criss cross each other to attend schools they have chosen rather than their neighborhood HS. Yes, many talented students go to Enloe, but that doesn't mean they live anywhere near it.

This area is bursting with talent. do your own search for vocal coaches and see what you come up with. There is no shortage of teachers but probably no shortage of students either. My daughter's voice teacher is 1 mile from a HS but does not by any stretch teach students at that school exclusively. Her people come from all over. We drive 9 miles to get to her house. BTW, if it is any help to you, she charges $45-$55 per half hour lesson.

Throw away your Phoenix model for how to plan your business...it won't help here.

Best of luck to you and your talented wife!

Old 05-03-2012, 07:33 PM

3 posts, read 4,662 times
Thanks. It may be quite different. Most nationally ranked programs actively seek the assistance of private teachers and depend upon them to do what they cannot in teaching a large group. Thanks for the rate info. We're looking forward to heading back east!

Old 05-04-2012, 05:00 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,548,381 times
I would second LibrarySue in that parents drive their kids all over for various activities. I would suggest a somewhat central location in the triangle for an office and/or place to give lessons.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:35 PM

571 posts, read 1,303,286 times
OP, before you consider offering private lessons, I would be very sure that there is a market for voice teachers here. When I moved here 8 years ago, I found that the area was already saturated with private music lesson teachers. It has been very hard to break into the market. Also, parents seem unwilling to drive further than a five mile radius of their homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary