Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2006, 10:52 PM

7 posts, read 13,862 times

Advertisements

Hi
Moving to Raleigh, working near border of Garner (Junction of 401 and 70. )Relocating with family (2 kids). How is the area? Would Garner would be right choice or any other town would be better for living. Any suggestion would be welcome.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2006, 05:22 AM

1,540 posts, read 5,562,680 times
You can live in Raleigh or Cary. Do you have any children and will you be concerned about what schools they go to?

Old 09-27-2006, 06:41 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,406,783 times
If your work is at the 401/70 split in south Raleigh near the Garner border, you have a lot of good options for homes either in Raleigh or Garner. It used to be that one can say that Garner is cheaper than Raleigh, but from what I've seen, the southern half of Raleigh might actually have just as many good "steals" in real estate as Garner would. Either way, that area is in no way near as crowded as north Raleigh and your proximity to downtown is very convenient. Check out both for your housing searches...and keep an eye out for good neighborhoods vs bad ones (you'll find both in both towns). Personally, I'm not sure I agree with Debbie about Cary...I don't think it would really be your worthwhile to commute from there when there are so many options, that are more affordable, no doubt, closer to your worksite.

Old 09-27-2006, 09:01 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,031,981 times
I have some clients who are buying an investment property in garner, and it is nice, and convenient to the location where you are going to work. The schools are not as good as other areas of wake county. I would follow raleighrobs advice, look in raleigh, look in garner and check out the schools, you can send me specific questions if you would like. It is hard to figure it all out when you are not from the area!

Anyhow, feel free to pm me or send me a private email. Goodl luck!

Leigh

Old 09-27-2006, 01:14 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,587,046 times
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! Oh man, this is right by where I used to live. Right off of tryon road. The area is cheaper because it's worse. Try Knightdale, north of Garner, or even Holly Springs, SW of garner. But stay away from SE and South Central Raleigh and northern Garner. Trust me, I lived in that area for almost 4 years; not the best Wake County has to offer.

Old 09-27-2006, 01:16 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,031,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! Oh man, this is right by where I used to live. Right off of tryon road. The area is cheaper because it's worse. Try Knightdale, north of Garner, or even Holly Springs, SW of garner. But stay away from SE and South Central Raleigh and northern Garner. Trust me, I lived in that area for almost 4 years; not the best Wake County has to offer.
You did say what I thought about saying, but I wasn't sure how people would take it...........made me laugh though, because honestly, I would have said the same thing!!!!

Leigh

Old 09-27-2006, 01:21 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,587,046 times
I'm sure if you had ever spent time in the area you would say the same thing. Say it loud and say it proud if it's what you really think. This is a major decision for this person and I think it would be a bad one; speaking from experience. Living 1/4 mile west of 70 (better known as South Sanders street), was an experience I would like to NEVER repeat and would not advise anyone to try.

Old 09-27-2006, 05:57 PM

505 posts, read 2,542,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movemenc View Post
Hi
Moving to Raleigh, working near border of Garner (Junction of 401 and 70. )Relocating with family (2 kids). How is the area? Would Garner would be right choice or any other town would be better for living. Any suggestion would be welcome.
Thanks

Not a bad area at all. I would look a bit more to the east of the 401 and 70 area. Look in the neigborhoods off of Timber in that area. It is not bad at all. It is not far from where you are talking about either. (maybe 3 or 4 miles)

Another great place to look, which would be perfect for you, is fuquay Varina. You would have a very short drive time to work. Fuquay is also a great place to raise kids and make a good bit of money on your house.

To live right at the 70/401 intersection or in that general area is not a good idea though. But there is NOTHING wrong with Garner.

I live 10 minutes from where you will be working, so I know

Old 09-27-2006, 08:54 PM

7 posts, read 13,862 times
Thanks for your response.
It is hard to make a decision when you are relocating from out of State. But it was good to know different prespective. I know if I go towards 401/70 east (towards 440 highway) there is some run down area. and If I go 70 west ( towards Garner) I see some nice housing, but bit pricey. Junction of 401/70 area has heavy traffic also. Planning to visit 7th, 8th Oct with Family so I can take them around that area.

Old 09-27-2006, 09:43 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,238,608 times
As you can tell, when you ask for opinions, everyone has one! I've had some clients that love Garner. And yes, there are certain areas you may want to stay away from. Honestly...some folks on here want to sugar coat everything and some want to make everything seem so bad. YOUR opinion is what matters. Once you get to the area and you see for yourself, what your dollars will buy and why...you'll have a feeling for what area you'd like to live in. Its really so very simple. Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary