Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 03:11 PM

24 posts, read 45,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Pizza snob, if you are looking for what I think you are, don't waste your time with Lily's. It's not pizza. It might appeal to lots of people, but if you are looking for well made Neapolitan style, look elsewhere.

Also, Daniels would be out of business in NJ.
Thanks for the heads-up. I see a lot of rave reviews here, but then again I read the way people describe it or what they like, and it doesn't describe what I like too much. So I figured I'd just try it to put it to bed after being pleasantly surprised or completely disappointed. What I'll do then is try it when I am close to there so this not knowing until I try it can be solved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 03:30 PM

22,730 posts, read 36,958,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzasnob View Post
It's every single time driving by I look, and low and behold, the lot is jam-packed with cars. They did a nice remodeling job on the outside, I'll give them that. I choose Mambo Italiano just a little further down the road over this place. But something insde keeps telling me to try it one more time and maybe I was there on an off night, or I just want to try and understand this place. Maybe they have blow-up cars in the parking lot or "staged" patrons there, who knows. I just need to convince myself to one day try it again over all of the other good eats around.
LOL, we like Mambo Italiano too.

We did get Daniel to cater a first communion party this year, purely out of convenience and while I still found the food needed salt, as I always do there (and I rarely salt my food), their ability to handle an overwhelming amount of catering orders impressed my DH.

Zpizza -no, not for regular pizza. I like their specialty pizzas and that's the only place I'll eat stuff like that (pear and gorgonzola, etc).

Last edited by twingles; 07-07-2012 at 03:48 PM..

Old 07-07-2012, 04:22 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,403,786 times
If you want to venture over to Chapel Hill for pizza made by real Italians (as in Italian is their native language), there's the aforementioned IP3 on West Franklin Street down by Local 506 and Chapel Hill Tire, Alfredo's at University Mall (they do a great delivery service to all the local pools) and I didn't see it mentioned but there's also Sal's in the little shopping area with the dry cleaners on the corner of MLK and Homestead. Sal's used to be at Eastgate, but got pushed out by high rent and another Italian place, Carmine's, is there now. I've never been to Carmine's so can't comment on that, but we like Sal's.

I, however, am not a pizza snob, and I do like almost any pizza except Pizza Hut and Domino's, but will eat them in a pinch. I've been plenty happy at all these places, but I just mentioned the ones above because there are real Italian families running the joints and that seemed to be a plus in the OP.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:37 PM

9,782 posts, read 15,839,357 times
Well we just tried IP3 for the first time tonight. It was good, but...it wasn't well-done enough. Next time I will ask for it well-done, and I think it will be very good. Very reasonable - two large cheese for about $15.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:08 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,840,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I don't get Daniel's either. Food is good, but not to the point that they do the business that they do. I think people like to support a non-chain, and I'm all for that, though! They do have pizza, but I'd say it falls less under "NY Neapolitan" than "trying to be gourmet".
I was not impressed w/ Daniel's either.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:46 AM

843 posts, read 2,104,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Well we just tried IP3 for the first time tonight. It was good, but...it wasn't well-done enough. Next time I will ask for it well-done, and I think it will be very good. Very reasonable - two large cheese for about $15.
I ALWAYS order my pizza well done. I find the pizza places here dont cook it quite long enough for me. I like a golden brown crust.

IP3 also does a good cheese steak.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:07 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,764,565 times
If you can't live without your NJ or NY, or MA, or whatever Pizzas, then don't move here. Where is Sam Kinison!!!!!!

Old 07-08-2012, 03:24 PM

523 posts, read 1,329,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Pizza snob, if you are looking for what I think you are, don't waste your time with Lily's. It's not pizza. It might appeal to lots of people, but if you are looking for well made Neapolitan style, look elsewhere.
This is ridiculous. It's "not pizza"? Seriously, it might not be the type of pizza you prefer, but it is certainly pizza. No, it's not neapolitan style, but neither are a lot of types of pizza, many of which are quite good.

Last edited by lb27608; 07-08-2012 at 03:46 PM..

Old 07-08-2012, 03:53 PM

247 posts, read 453,433 times
If you're ever in the Selma area go to Sami's Pizza. It is a good foldable pizza.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:18 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,965,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lb27608 View Post
This is ridiculous. It's "not pizza"? Seriously, it might not be the type of pizza you prefer, but it is certainly pizza. No, it's not neapolitan style, but neither are a lot of types of pizza, many of which are quite good.
Agreed. Whatever you want to call them, that Big Star thing they bake down at Lilly's is about the tastiest thing I've ever eaten. I highly recommend trying Lilly's if you've never been....NY or Neapolitan or not
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary