Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 07:53 AM

835 posts, read 2,877,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Just wait and see what happens when the builder declares "bankruptcy" just before the final paving is done.
The builder has emerged from bankruptcy, and the final paving is completed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 08:25 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
Here is my experiences with n'hoods and pools that are "promised", in our area:

In most cases, when you listen to the onsite agent (who works for the builder), they say things like..."the planned pool" or "we hope to have the pool started", etc., etc. They really aren't to blame. They are told what to say by the builder.

What I find is that in most cases, the pool is delayed by about 2 years. But yes, it eventually is built.

If you look at your purchase contract, it does not PROMISE you a pool. And unless it is in writing, what can you do? I agree with the advice to contact an attorney, as a group.

Whenever I show new n'hoods with a "promised" pool, I let my clients know that it isn't a GUARANTEE that they will ever get that pool. So, they make educated decisions. Are they willing to take that risk that they may never get that pool?

And...when and if that pool is built, you can expect your HOA dues WILL GO UP. N'hoods that have pools have increased insurance costs based on liability. There is also maintenance of the pool.

Best of luck.

Vicki

Old 05-24-2012, 09:02 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
And...when and if that pool is built, you can expect your HOA dues WILL GO UP. N'hoods that have pools have increased insurance costs based on liability. There is also maintenance of the pool.
In my HOA maintenance and operation of the pool is our single largest expense, followed by landscaping. Insurance is a small fraction of those expenses.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:30 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,149,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post

If you look at your purchase contract, it does not PROMISE you a pool. And unless it is in writing, what can you do? I agree with the advice to contact an attorney, as a group.
I am not an agent, and not nearly as informed as Vicki or some of the others responding, so take that into consideration.

That being said, what you can do is make the builder think twice about the business ramifications. Hiring an attorney is a good idea. Also, getting the people in the community together as a group is a good idea. Possibly putting up signs. If the builder still has significant properties to sell, then those signs hit them where it counts, and maybe, just MAYBE they will see the business justification to spend the money to build one pool in order to sell several houses.

Also, if it were me, I'd get someone to go in there as a buyer, and get some fresh info. If they are still representing it as having a pool, or "plans to have a pool" then get it documented. You've got something that tells you in writing that there "are no plans", so it would not be a bad thing to capture the discprepancy in writing and with dates. You don't have to use it, but it would be a good thing to have in your bag of tools to fight this.

Just my uninformed opinion....

Old 05-24-2012, 10:17 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmateo View Post
That being said, what you can do is make the builder think twice about the business ramifications. Hiring an attorney is a good idea. Also, getting the people in the community together as a group is a good idea. Possibly putting up signs. If the builder still has significant properties to sell, then those signs hit them where it counts, and maybe, just MAYBE they will see the business justification to spend the money to build one pool in order to sell several houses.
Be careful. You can't drive down the value on some properties (those still to be sold by the builder) without potentially driving down the values on all the properties - which could end up impacting the homeowners financially.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:29 AM

46 posts, read 77,250 times
We threatened a complaint to the Better Business Bureau when our builder left us hanging on our 1 year walk-through. That quickly straightened him up, so that may be something you could consider, especially if you have a large number of homeowners who all feel that the builder was dishonest.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:14 PM

835 posts, read 2,877,663 times
I'm going to have to dig through our paperwork and see exactly what it says...if there was something solid about the pool. I recall having something from the HOA that says what the fees are now and what the fees will be once the pool is put in. Not sure how that's worded though. I don't want to put signs out for fear of cutting off our nose to spite our face if we ever decide to sell.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:37 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,033,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongasabear View Post
I'm going to have to dig through our paperwork and see exactly what it says...if there was something solid about the pool. I recall having something from the HOA that says what the fees are now and what the fees will be once the pool is put in. Not sure how that's worded though. I don't want to put signs out for fear of cutting off our nose to spite our face if we ever decide to sell.
If you want the name of a good attorney, in wake forest, who exclusively deals with HOA issues, DM me.

Leigh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary