Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2007, 09:08 PM

54 posts, read 207,548 times

Advertisements

Is it true that there are no teacher unions nor teacher contracts in NC? How do people in the community perceive teachers' salaries: high, low, where they should be.....any info. comparing them to national norms? My wife and have a home in Connecticut valued at $330,000 and make a combined income of approx. $80,000. Is my $60K in CT comparable to the $46K approximation in NC schools? Where would I be better off, in CT or NC financially. (given housing costs are obviously much cheaper). Any assistance would be great...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 08:15 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
If the equity in your Connecticut allows you to pay cash here then you are better off. My son while not a teacher was in a similar situation coming from Maryland to North Carolina. The profits from his home in Maryland helped him to leap ahead financially by a considerable margin. It freed up money for investments which then gave them more cash and put his family in a relatively debt free situation. His wife was able to finish grad school and not work etc. If you don't have much equity it will not be as beneficial. However if you buy a 220K house you will gain something. If you buy a 600k house then you will have another scenario.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:35 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,449,708 times
Depends largely upon what standard of living you are used to, Bryon. I think you can be reasonably comfortable here -- decent, albeit not fancy-schmancy home, in a nice area -- and be able to enjoy a meal out, going to the movies, etc. I do think $60K would be comparable to what you would earn here in NC, and some counties have better supplements, incentives, than others.

Let's face it, teachers don't make enough, regardless.

For the most part, teachers' salaries here are lower than most, but it doesn't cost as much to live, either, and many accept less pay in exchange for a slower pace, access to the beaches and mountains, etc. I taught in New Hanover County (on the coast of NC, in Wilmington) and felt I had a successful career. Much of school is school, wherever you go. I cannot attest to what teaching for WCPS is like, although I do substitute-teaching from time to time, and enjoy it. I have also liked what I have seen in the schools where I have been, at the elementary and HS levels. Most staff seem to be happy in their jobs.

On the first day of a teacher's 4th year, most earn tenure (after being recommended by the Principal) and thus feel they have some job security. At the end of each year, teachers receive evaluations and are recommended for re-hire, and it is highly unusual NOT to be re-hired. I would think with your credentials, Bryon, you would not have a problem finding a job in WCPS, and if you are good at what you do, should have no problem keeping a job. Seemed we couldn't get rid of the poor teachers, unfortunately.

Most of the good teachers apply for National Board certification, for which the State pays the fee -- all they ask is that the teacher complete the process, and they even offer classes, tutoring, a week's stay at the NC Center for Teachers in Cullowhee, NC, to work on the Portfolio. I found it well worth the effort -- and a 12% pay increase. The certification is also good for 10 years.

There are NO teacher unions in NC. It is illegal. We do have the NCAE (part of NEA) and AFT, but they are not unions -- more like 'lobbyists' for teachers' interests.

Being in the Raleigh Metro area, you could aspire to employment with the State Education Department. I have friends who enjoy working at that level -- some of the jobs are permanent, others are time-certain and geared towards improving low-performing schools across the State. Check out the NC State Department of Education.

Old 09-21-2007, 10:48 AM

306 posts, read 1,192,624 times
Default Here is the salary schedule from 06-07

Salaries: Teachers, "A" License with Board Certification (Bachelor's Degree)

Salaries: Teachers, "A" License (Bachelor's Degree)

Salaries: Teachers, "M" License (Master's Degree)

Salaries: Teachers, "M" License with Board Certification (Master's Degree)

This sight has lot of info including job postings.

Char
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary