Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2012, 03:34 PM

1,515 posts, read 6,985,219 times

Advertisements

New to boating.

My family just got a boat and I was wondering what the costs were to launch your boat at Falls/Jordan/Lake Wheeler or any other local areas in the Triangle.

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 03:45 PM

37 posts, read 102,563 times
We take our sailboat out on Jordan Lake now n then - we put in at Vista Point. I think the fee at that entrance / ranger station area is $5.00 That's on the south half of the lake. With our sized sailboat, you have to choose which side you wanna launch on, because the 64 bridge doesn't have enough clearance for our mast. But a powerboat could be launched on the south or north side of the bridge and reach any part of the lake. I think there's a marina --Crosswinds-?? on the north end just west of 751 that might charge a day fee to launch - 5 bucks? -and they *used to dock boats there for the season for a fee / I'd heard they *might close though, so not sure about that.

Old 05-12-2012, 05:26 PM

1,515 posts, read 6,985,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g dub View Post
We take our sailboat out on Jordan Lake now n then - we put in at Vista Point. I think the fee at that entrance / ranger station area is $5.00 That's on the south half of the lake. With our sized sailboat, you have to choose which side you wanna launch on, because the 64 bridge doesn't have enough clearance for our mast. But a powerboat could be launched on the south or north side of the bridge and reach any part of the lake. I think there's a marina --Crosswinds-?? on the north end just west of 751 that might charge a day fee to launch - 5 bucks? -and they *used to dock boats there for the season for a fee / I'd heard they *might close though, so not sure about that.
Perfect!!! This is a big help! Thank you so much!

Old 05-12-2012, 05:47 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,584,059 times
It's free at Upper Barton on Falls lake.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:02 PM

569 posts, read 1,978,906 times
Quote:
It's free at Upper Barton on Falls lake.
I would only go there on week days. On nice summer weekends it is a zoo and well worth paying the money(think it is $6 now) at the Hwy 50 ramp. A couple weekends even Hwy 50 was full up and ended up going to RollingView which I think has the same fee.

PS Just looked and the OP is in Clayton so Jordan or Wheeler might be a better choice. Haven't been to either in many years so can't say anything about the crowds, but the Raleigh web site says the fee at Wheeler is $6 for people who are not residents of Raleigh.

If I were in Clayton, I might also check out Buckhorn Reservoir near Wilson. Haven't been boating there, but looks bigger than Wheeler and closer to Clayton than Falls or Jordan.

Last edited by jeffs555; 05-12-2012 at 08:32 PM..

Old 05-13-2012, 05:27 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,936,123 times
Lake Crabtree....electric motors only

$3-boat on trailer....$45 annual pass
$2-car top....$30 annual pass

I trailer my old heavy Sears alluminum canoe out there all the time because I got to dang old to throw the thing on top of the roof anymore

Old 05-13-2012, 06:31 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,948,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g dub View Post
I think there's a marina --Crosswinds-?? on the north end just west of 751 that might charge a day fee to launch - 5 bucks? -and they *used to dock boats there for the season for a fee / I'd heard they *might close though, so not sure about that.
I don't know anything about it personally, but the Crosswinds marina was the subject of a couple of stories in the N&O recently:

Jordan Lake marina operator loses lease - Local/State - NewsObserver.com

Deal saves parts of Jordan Lake marina - Chatham County - NewsObserver.com

Old 05-13-2012, 07:13 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,624,666 times
Harris Lake is another option - I don't think they charge a fee there.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:21 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,546,804 times
Upper Barton's isn't that bad. We launch there since it's so close. The docks are good and there are 4 launches there.

Both Jordan and falls each have one marina on the lake. As stated, crosswinds at Jordan is changing ownership. From what I hear, they have some great plans.

Old 05-13-2012, 12:55 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,584,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs555 View Post
I would only go there on week days. On nice summer weekends it is a zoo and well worth paying the money(think it is $6 now) at the Hwy 50 ramp. A couple weekends even Hwy 50 was full up and ended up going to RollingView which I think has the same fee.

You are absolutely correct about Upper Barton being a zoo. In fact, being that I only fish the lake the only time I put in at any ramp on the weekend is if the family just wants to ride around in the boat. During the week the only people using the ramp have a good deal of sense so it's free-flowing. I can't believe DMV doesn't require an endorsement for a driver to pull a trailer. If they did there would either be a lot of illegal boat towing or half the boats on the lake would end up for sale. I'll ride my bike to the ramp on the weekends just for the humor. Some folks have no business driving a boat or pulling a trailer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary