Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 11:19 AM

41 posts, read 116,001 times

Advertisements

Hi I am looking at moving from Huntington, NY School district #2 -- to cary, apex or wake forest area. I came down last week and stayed in cary at a house rental and loved it. I visited Apex elementary and really liked it.
For those people in this forum who are familiar with these areas and maybe my school district -- Cold Spring Harbor -- what areas would be good to seriously look at with .80 acres and great schools --

We are listed our house next month so any info would be great --- thank you for your help --
Ps -- couldn't believe there was a Ralph's Italian Ices there !! and breakfast specials and bagels!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 11:24 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,170,204 times
My wife and I are from Nassau many years back, and I worked in Nathan's through Oceanside HS.

Real Nathan's franks (with casings) can be bought at Fresh Market. Dominic's Pizza in Triangle Town Center area is owned by a Brooklyn native. He sometimes brings in Gabila's knishes. Oy Vey!

Apex is a nice town according to my boss who has lived there many years and my daughter's ex-boss who's an Apex native.

Our kids graduated a few years ago, so can't update on current schools. Surely many folks will help.

Good luck in getting off the island of outrageous taxation.

Old 09-07-2007, 11:29 AM

thanks so much for your help --

It is nice to know that there's plenty of New York in North Carolina

Old 09-07-2007, 11:48 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,848,902 times
Ex Huntingtonian here- Cols Spring Hills area- SD #13... we used the privats schools.
My opinion?

CSH = North Raleigh
Huntington Village circa 1980's = Wake Forest
Cary = a more laid-back Dix Hills
Apex = Elwood- Commack circa 1980's

Google our paper, the News & Observer- in the education section they just put out test scores for all the schools- Cary & Apex really did the best. Those scores never tell the whols story but I do find them to be useful. I do not think you will find anything like CSH down here. (People, please do not flame me! CSH is one of the most homogeneous, wealthiest, high achieving districts in the country. And it is very small.)
Now, mind you, I went from 3 kids in private school to 3 in public, and for elementary I am truly happy. Middle school has been a mixed bag. I was tired of the whole private school milieu. So, that colors my opinions.
Please, spend time walking around the schools as much as looking at houses. If you find a great community is it really easy for a northerner, who is used to loder housing stock, to find a great house down here.

Good luck in your quest!

Old 09-07-2007, 11:55 AM

thank you so much -- it is true about the cold spring harbor school district -- I'm sure it will be hard to compare to-- but so are the taxes -- looking forward to being on the reverse side of that

thanks again

Old 09-07-2007, 11:55 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,577,875 times
There are puh-lenty of folks like us down here (we recently relocated from Northport). Most of us try hard to blend in and behave like the natives though because they're so much better behaved then what we're used to.

I'm not nearly as familiar with Cary and Apex from a real estate and school perspective as North Raleigh. I do however work in Cary and think you'd find it very familiar on a day-to-day basis.

If you didn't spend time exploring the entire area I would recommend you take another trip here before targeting a particular location. We also considered Wake Forest and points further south along Rte. 1/Capitol Blvd. We spent considerable time exploring Cary as well. Ultimately we found more of what we were looking for elsewhere (we're not big fans of new communities as it turns out).

Also, depending on your budget you'll do better price-wise buying into an older subdivision. We found that many of the newer developments charge a stiff premium for land.

Old 09-07-2007, 11:59 AM

thank you -- I did meet with an agent when we were there last week twice -- she showed me some different communities and it is agreed the older ones are priced better --

and there is so much to see, I do like wake forest also --it seems our areas are raleigh, cary, apex, wake forest and maybe holly springs -- I think wake forest & apex are our contenders for now --

we still have some time to see -- it is amazing how much building is going on down there !!

Old 09-07-2007, 01:23 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,170,204 times
Just be sure any commute to Wake Forest will work out.

We live by Capital and the growth in WF has made it a zoo. I live in North Raleigh just off Capital.

Old 09-07-2007, 01:42 PM

thanks --- I saw that -- and interstate 40 seems pretty busy --

Old 09-07-2007, 01:50 PM

577 posts, read 1,902,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny to nc View Post
thanks so much for your help --

It is nice to know that there's plenty of New York in North Carolina
I would ask why it is good to have a lot of new york here. There are people from all over the world living here and most move here because it is NC not NY. Not trying to put you on the point but if you want NY why move to NC? NC is nothing like NY in any way and could be a culture shock if you were to think it was. Its a great state and has its own developing culture of the New south, so be prepared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary