Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 11:12 AM

20 posts, read 56,137 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are coming this weekend to visit Raleigh. We are going to be looking at neighborhoods in Raleigh, Apex and Holly Springs. We are not looking at specific houses because we are not ready to buy. We just want to narrow down the field and get a feel to what we want.

My husband is not 100% sold on Raleigh. I want to also spend a lot of time visiting the area. What are places and restaurants that would WOW my husband? He loves history and local food.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 12:29 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,191,259 times
Angus Barn.

Old 09-04-2007, 12:34 PM

579 posts, read 2,865,752 times
Moore Square/City Market in Downtown Raleigh. Nothing like sitting in that park after a good meal in the warm carolina breeze. At least it worked for me! That's where we were when my hubby (after a mere 24 hours) just blurted out "let's do it! I can't go home and live that like knowing I could live like this for less money!" Good luck!!!

Old 09-05-2007, 09:12 AM

20 posts, read 56,137 times
Anyone else?

Old 09-05-2007, 09:30 AM

282 posts, read 836,155 times
The places that clinched it for me were cameron village, the farmer's market, and the open air flea market near NC state. The farmer's market especially - the radiance of all the wonderful trees, plants, flowers and fruit there were the thing that made me think "I'd love to be near this". Cameron village is walking distance from work for me, so the open shopping/kitchy shops/restaurants just seemed to hit all of thie right notes. I find myself stopping by there even during the weekends.

I'm finding more as I stay longer - but those kind of confirmed that I had made the right decision.

Old 09-05-2007, 10:11 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,068,340 times
Does he like baseball? Maybe you could catch a Bulls game in Durham.
2007 Durham Bulls Baseball Club

As for local history, he might enjoy the little town of Hillsborough. The quaint little downtown area is chock full of historical markers & a couple locl history museums.
The Alliance For Historic Hillsborough :: Hillsborough, North Carolina

Old 09-05-2007, 10:36 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,367,446 times
For food, I would actually head to Durham - especially if you take MrsSteel's advice and go to a Durham Bulls game. Pops is in the Tobacco Warehouse district, near where the Bulls play, so you get to kill two birds with one stone after the game - a great meal, and plenty of history. Another eating alternative in Durham is Four Square, which is in a restored Victorian house. Great food, and a wonderful atmosphere. Plenty of other alternatives abound for great food in Durham (Nana's Magnolia Grill, etc.), but these are a couple of good ones.

In Raleigh, there are some nice alternatives, although in my opinion none are as good as the Durham eateries. Second Empire (and the downstairs tavern), Bistro 607, Bloomsbury Bistro, and so on.

Old 09-05-2007, 10:48 AM

43,377 posts, read 77,299,991 times
Nothing too frou-frou or hoity-toity here:

Clyde Cooper's Barbecue on Davie Street in Raleigh has a fine collection of archive photos of Raleigh. And some kinda good cue, too!

Mecca Restaurant on Hargett Street in Raleigh is like walking into a shift in the space/time continuum. Welcome to 1949!
Sweet potato pudding... Oh, My!
Clyde Cooper's has been there since 1938, and the nice folks at the Mecca will not hesitate to tell you they have been there longer.

And I do like the Italian place in Cameron Village, if I could only recall the name.

I have not yet been to Peak City Grille on Salem Street in Apex, but my wife says it is a must, so I guess I will be there soon. Have heard a lot of good things.

Old 09-05-2007, 11:03 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,783,343 times
Piccola Italia or something like that. Great place.

Good suggestions all the way around.

Definitely check out the NC History Museum downtown (I especially like the sports section) and then take time to walk around the Capitol building and then down Fayetteville Street a couple of blocks. Cut over two blocks to the left to see City Market/Moore Square.

There are some neat old neighborhoods to check out in Raleigh - Oakwood and Mordecai, Hayes Barton and Five Points, etc. And I recommend checking out some of the smaller, more traditional Southern downtowns. Apex for sure. If you have time, drive out to Pittsboro and check out the antique shops.

Old 09-05-2007, 02:40 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,045,547 times
I would also suggest going to duke gardens (you can pick up some eats to go at whole foods, or, mad hatter bakery, or francesca's or george's garage or elmo's diner, and have a picnic at duke gardens. I love it there! There is a great open field to hang out in, lots of flowers, etc.

good luck!

Leigh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary