Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 02:30 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,993,109 times

Advertisements

Food Lion is closing 113 stores, including the one in the Northwoods Shopping Center at Harrison and Maynard in Cary.

Breathing a sigh of relief here...our walkable grocery store is the Food Lion at Maynard and Reedy Creek. The two stores are less than a mile apart, and I always thought one would be ripe for closing. Thought it would be ours at Reedy Creek since it's the smaller one (just under 30,000 sf vs. just under 40,000 sf at Northwoods).

.biz - Food Lion parent to close 113 U.S. stores, including one in Cary | newsobserver.com blogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 02:37 PM

43,313 posts, read 77,154,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Food Lion is closing 113 stores, including the one in the Northwoods Shopping Center at Harrison and Maynard in Cary.

Breathing a sigh of relief here...our walkable grocery store is the Food Lion at Maynard and Reedy Creek. The two stores are less than a mile apart, and I always thought one would be ripe for closing. Thought it would be ours at Reedy Creek since it's the smaller one (just under 30,000 sf vs. just under 40,000 sf at Northwoods).

.biz - Food Lion parent to close 113 U.S. stores, including one in Cary | newsobserver.com blogs
HT @ Harrison Pointe and Aldi crushed that store.
HT is busy.

When I moved here, we used Northwoods for pizza, banking, insurance, the video store, and were glad to see that Food Lion open. (I cannot remember the name of the grocery that closed before Food Lion came in.)
With FL closing, and the others gone, assuming Michaelangelo's move to Maynard Crossing is a fait accompli, Northwoods is ripe for a couple of storefront churches and a pawn shop.

My sense is that the local Food Lions are increasingly under the gun to show sales. It isn't as easy as it used to be.
Also, they really lead the expansion charge 7 or 8 years ago. Maybe too much.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:47 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,114,450 times
I actually really liked that FL.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:18 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,993,109 times
We almost never set foot at Northwoods...just an occasional stop at Subway in the outbuilding.

Harrison Pointe has much more with HT, Staples, a fair number of restaurants, Rite-Aid, and auto parts all in one place.

We like the walkability of our FL at Reedy Creek, but it's awfully small and not terribly busy. That plaza as a whole continues to struggle, and seems like Northwoods is headed down the same path.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:48 PM

200 posts, read 358,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
HT @ Harrison Pointe and Aldi crushed that store.
HT is busy.

When I moved here, we used Northwoods for pizza, banking, insurance, the video store, and were glad to see that Food Lion open. (I cannot remember the name of the grocery that closed before Food Lion came in.)
With FL closing, and the others gone, assuming Michaelangelo's move to Maynard Crossing is a fait accompli, Northwoods is ripe for a couple of storefront churches and a pawn shop.

My sense is that the local Food Lions are increasingly under the gun to show sales. It isn't as easy as it used to be.
Also, they really lead the expansion charge 7 or 8 years ago. Maybe too much.
We are frequent customers of Michelangelo's and I spoke with the owners' son last week regarding the Maynard Crossing location. He shared that it is actually going to be a more of a sit down Italian restaurant with $16 average plates. Piano player, white linen table clothes, etc. I thought he was pulling my leg, but he assured me that it was true and his father was managing it. The pizza location at Northwoods will remain open for business as usual.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:57 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
I remember when that FL at Northwoods was new. And really nice.

The next thing out on Harrison that wasn't a housing development was SAS. Wow. That was around 1988.

Old 01-13-2012, 05:24 AM

455 posts, read 919,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftyforlife View Post
We are frequent customers of Michelangelo's and I spoke with the owners' son last week regarding the Maynard Crossing location. He shared that it is actually going to be a more of a sit down Italian restaurant with $16 average plates. Piano player, white linen table clothes, etc. I thought he was pulling my leg, but he assured me that it was true and his father was managing it. The pizza location at Northwoods will remain open for business as usual.
That's a shame. at 16 dollar average plates, I probably won't frequent it as much as I thought I would.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:03 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,158,302 times
That's going to really hurt that shopping center. I'm trying to think what they could get to replace that big space. Maybe an ICE substation?

Old 01-13-2012, 07:05 AM

838 posts, read 2,525,965 times
I used to work at FL when I was in college and have tried to patronize their stores over the years. But, having been used to Lowe's Foods and now HT over near my house, FL just doesn't have any appeal to me. Went in the new one on Holly Springs Rd. a couple times and they didn't have the 2 of 3 items I was looking for, so haven't been back. Used to be a good company to work for with their profit sharing system. I had 5+ years, so was vested and when I quit, got a check that was enough to pay for a whole year of college.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:07 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,158,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caspian65 View Post
IWent in the new one on Holly Springs Rd. a couple times and they didn't have the 2 of 3 items I was looking for, so haven't been back.
This is the same problem I have with FL. They're great when I need basic items, but anything beyond that and it's doubtful they'll have it in stock. Great for Hispanic items when I don't feel like driving to one of the Mexican markets on Chatham Street though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary