Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 09:14 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,664,110 times

Advertisements

I admit, I am biased....I don't like Food Lion. It's okay for a beer run, canned goods on deep sale and I have seen that they tend to be be better in areas that there is no other option (faster turn around for stock maybe?)...anyway....Food Lion is not even my third choice for shopping...heck, it's not even my fourth. Here is another reason why...

Food Lion Recalls Store-Brand Milk

Food Lion Recalls Store-Brand Milk :: WRAL.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2007, 09:25 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
I only shop for food at natural foods stores. Not that something like this couldnt happen, but the chances arent as great.

Food Lion's suplliers prolly didnt but anough artificial preservatives or growth hormose in it.

Old 09-29-2007, 09:49 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,962,065 times
Food Lion in NYC was so repulsive and filthy that I can hardly bear to walk in one here ...

Old 09-29-2007, 10:06 PM

331 posts, read 1,126,564 times
The Food Dog hasn't always been this bad. I'm not sure whether their quality declined or consumer tastes changed. Could be a little of both.

Old 09-29-2007, 10:28 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,676,988 times
The food lion is filthy and not a good value at all. I thought it might be cheaper than the other grocery stores but it's not. And their milk always has a funky taste to it that I couldn't get used to. I now mostly shop at Harris Teeter or Lowes.

Old 09-30-2007, 09:56 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,084,943 times
When we lived in NoVA, about 10-12 years ago, Food Lion was the subject of a recycled meat scam. They'd pull out of date meet from the shelves repackage it with a new date and put it back on the shelves.

I never saw such a disgusting store in my life. The only places I shopped at in VA were Safeway, Giant and FreshFields.

No Food Lion in MA, thank goodness!

Old 09-30-2007, 10:07 AM

950 posts, read 3,190,382 times
Yeah, most of the Food Lion stores in Tennessee, North Carolina and Georgia I had been to, were filthy. So is Ingles. Must be a thing for North Carolina where both companies are headquartered.

Old 09-30-2007, 10:10 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,664,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Yeah, most of the Food Lion stores in Tennessee, North Carolina and Georgia I had been to, were filthy. So is Ingles. Must be a thing for North Carolina where both companies are headquartered.
No, it's not an NC thing...as Harris Teeter is also headquartered here and they are some of the cleanest stores I've ever seen.

There are chains up North that are the pits as well.

Old 09-30-2007, 01:12 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,054,971 times
I think the scandal with Food Lion's meat took place about 16 or 17 years ago ... back in 1990 or 1991 maybe? I can only gues at the year, but I know I hadn't graduated from high school yet because my French teacher continued to shop at Food Lion after the scandal. She figured that, after the bad story broke out, that nobody's meat department would be under higher scrutiny - or would be safer - than Food Lion. She isn't dead yet, so maybe she's on to something. [Edit: According to Wikipedia, the story aired on ABC's Primetime Live in November of 1992. Food Lion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ]

I will go to Food Lion to buy packaged items that can be bought anywhere - soda, jars or pasta sauce, etc - when they are on sale. Sometimes you can get a 2 liter bottle of name brand soda for as low as 70 cents there. Why pay more elsewhere? The product is exactly the same and if the packaging is sound, it won't be any worse coming from Food Lion than from Harris Teeter.

I understand, though, that some Food Lions out there are in pretty bad shape. The one I frequented in Hillsborough seems very clean and well tended to, but it's really the only option if you live in Hillsborough. I'm sure the fact that more people frequent that store keeps it from building up a backlog of old merchandise.

That being said, I only get my milk (and many other items) from Maple View Farms.

Last edited by MrsSteel; 09-30-2007 at 01:34 PM..

Old 09-30-2007, 04:03 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,962,065 times
I just bought coffee at Food Lion - one of the only things I'll buy there - and the cashiers had tip jars at the register!!! I'm like, are you KIDDING ME???

I'm so over this whole tip jar at the cash register thing, but especially at that place, and the cashiers are not even friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary